Tell us what you have eaten lately, that you haven't cooked yourself (that's interesting).

I had Giordano’s a few times when I trained in Chicago like twenty years ago now for my current job. It was heavenly. I have never gotten back.

Now that I know there’s one in Indianapolis though… I will take my kids there this May.

No, but you can get them if you ask for them.

Went to a local place called Milk Lab today (partly on @clay’s excellent suggestion) as part of V-Day festivities with the missus. Had a brown sugar black milk tea with boba, plus some thoroughly ridiculous anti-griddle ice cream (s’mores flavor with graham crackers and chocolate mixed into the sweetened cream base).

I had to look up both rolled ice cream and the anti griddle but that smores cup is speaking my language. I am afraid I am going to be hearing it whispering to me all night, so if you could get it to kindly shut the fuck up I would appreciate it.

I was pretty impressed when, upon being asked if I wanted my marshmallow toasted, the gal behind the toppings counter pulled out a goddamn miniature flamethrower

(okay okay it was just a little culinary torch, but still!!)

That looks awesome and sounds fancy as hell. Shoot, we don’t even have our Dairy Queen anymore, it went away when they upgraded the nearby strip mall and raised all the rents. :(

No Dairy Queen?!?! My man, we gotta move you out to Raleigh stat!

I love Blizzards. I mourn their loss. Hell, a move would be worth it for H-Mart.

For me it is the peanut buster parfait. That fudge, peanuts and ice cream is heaven!

I can’t do the dairy, unfortunately, but i some type of lemon infused jasmine tea there that was fracking delicious and I look forward to having another one!

Glad you enjoyed it!

Rolled Ice Cream is a very cool technology, and really neat show to see them make, but…I kind of think it isn’t actually as good as normal ice cream? It’s a mouth-feel thing, I think. There are probably some combinations of toppings that work better than others though.

Yeah, for what it’s worth, it’s never going to be as creamy and airy as regular ice cream/frozen custard, insofar as essentially no air is beaten into it, and generally the base they’re using doesn’t include things like eggs. Then again, the rolled shape of it does create some natural texture that I find pleasant. And in the end, it is ice cream that is produced more or less from scratch directly in front of you, which is pretty cool :)

Basically, I want to eat rolled ice cream that, like, Wylie Dufresne, has specifically designed to have a flavor profile un-obtainable with regular ice cream. If it’s just basically trying to do what regular ice cream does, I’m more ambivalent.

Exactly, it’s a gimmick to pump up the price. Compare that to something like Grom which is nothing less than insanely delicious gelato made with the best ingredients, dense as the collapsed neutronium heart of a dying brown dwarf. It’s expensive as hell, but worth it.

It’s actually no more expensive than regular ice cream would be – at least at the place that Armando visited.

Yeah, it was pretty on par with other local joints like Goodberry’s, Two Roosters, and Fresh Local Ice Cream (which is still the stupidest goddamn business name in the era of “Google stuff to find it”).

I mean obviously a squirt from the McDonald’s vanilla cannon is gonna be a lot less (and still delicious in its own right!), but within its competition, Milk Lab is pretty fair. Ditto on the tea prices.

I’m pretty sure this is the place that started as an off-shoot of the NCSU school of dairy engineering – the same place that has a booth at the NC State Fair, down by the Village of Yesteryear. Oh: you can buy it in stores now, too.

There’s a mobile coffee business here in Austin called Wanderlust, and they recently changed their name to “Nearby Coffee”, which is literally impossible to google. The most insane decision I can imagine.

But why go for the offshoot when you can get the real thing now??

Because I was confused and spreading misinformation? Wait… I’m never supposed to admit that.