Tell us what you have fixed or replaced recently (that might be interesting)

Great question, I’m a little undecided but it’s a Tempstar, 2.5 ton 17 seer. So far so good. @lordkosc it’s saying the heat is on and active. That’s an ecobee and while away it automatically set the house to 64 while we were out. Pretty damned cool.

Looks like it’s washer/dryer month on Qt3! I came her to proudly post about properly diagnosing and fixing my dryer (the heating element had a break in the coil), but everyone else’s fixes are more interesting than mine.Sigh.

Ha, I fixed my dryer two days ago too. :P

Mine was the belt tensioner stopped spinning correctly and the plastic wheel on it melted off the metal bearing and ended up in the corner of the bottom of the dryer. Turns out I have a belt tension switch and when the belt wasn’t doing anything the dryer won’t start.

Ok, so I hinted in my earlier post that I’d be working on replacing a ball valve that cracked during the freezes in Houston. Yeah, me and every other guy in the city. Went to Home Depot, 1 inch ball valves sold out. Went to Ace, sold out.

But was chatting with one of the other guys looking for the part and he suggested putting unions outside each of the ball valves on the back flow assembly so that if this ever happened again I wouldn’t have to cut PVC pipe anymore. So for all of about 10 bucks in parts I was able to do that. By just unscrewing the unions I can now take off the assembly and replace whatever I need.

As for the ball valve that still needs replacing, I think I’m going to just order on Amazon. The Ace guys said they’d have more stock in tomorrow but I’m guessing they said the same thing to the dozens of other saps looking for the part too.

Nothing wrong with your post - but it was a lot more interesting when I first read it as

That would be for the grill!

Which was the style at the time.

Repainted the 1960’s lamp post out front and replaced the wiring and the entire top. Put in three 4 watt LED cob style bulbs.

It is so bright I am sure it can be seen from space now. What have I done?

Unbelievable. The roofers are back. Why? Because of my new dryer.

The old dryer was kind of on its last legs. So when it stopped drying we figured it was time for a new one, which we purchased. But the new dryer wasn’t drying either. I’m pretty good at troubleshooting so I wondered if the fact that we had the roof replaced might have affected the venting. I actually came up with a few scenarios. Debris clogging the vent. The vent cap valve being jammed. And the ridiculous possibility that they shingled over the vent hole.

The dryer worked when it was not attached to the vent. Although the laundry area was… shall we say… moist.

Today the roofers are back. They go into the garage attic area. They remove the vent from the roof and USE A LEAF BLOWER TO BLOW THE CLOG OUT OF THE VENT STACK. INTO THE HOUSE.

Long story short, I speak to the boss on the phone. I tell him that I have a house full of dryer lint and several guys who are clueless. He comes by.

They shingled over the vent hole.

They fucking SHINGLED over the fucking VENT HOLE.

They are finally repairing their fuck up. I think I’ll send the HOA a strongly worded letter. They owe me for a damn new dryer.

Incompetence. It’s everywhere.

Glad you got to the bottom of it though and I hope it all gets worked out.

Roofer boss is paying for the new dryer. Which is good. Because the seal on the dishwasher door has rotted away.

Replacing the dishwasher door seal is pretty easy , and I recall it costing less than $20.

Google your brand on youtube.

Yeah, that’s what I was looking at. But it’s old and if we can work getting a new one, we may. The wife is funny.

Her, “You know, we can wash dishes by hand.”

Me. “HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!”

We have a dishwasher where the bottom rack is on wheels, large plastic wheels that are held on by plastic whatevers. And they fall of and break. I looked at getting new ones and apparently Kenmore realized what a crappy design it was because they don’t sell the parts anymore. They sell a wheel set, so to speak, that is mounted differently. And a set of what I need will cost over $100. Next time we buy a dishwasher…next time…

I fixed the doors to the laundry room. Stupid things. Whoever installed them did kind of a terrible job with the brackets, and the brackets themselves were just the flimsiest, shitty metal that can barely hold the weight of the door. After years of use, they just became useless. I supported them with some braces I found in a box (I think they were housing units for electrical switches, but they fit perfectly) and raised the floor bracket up a little (because the dumb bolt that was drilled into the door to elevate it wasn’t holding the thread any longer) and managed to get both doors re-mounted with brand new placement in the door frames for the screws. So far so good. I really want to get a pro in there to look at that wide doorway and offer up something like a better overall solution.

I also fixed my lawn mower. I had a bolt loosen up and get tossed into the lawn, but I found a replacement bolt and got a nylon nut for it, that fucker ain’t going anywhere now. Stupid thing.

Has anyone had experience installing something like this? For a generator to house emergency hook up.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reliance-Controls-30-Amp-10-Circuit-Manual-Transfer-Switch-310A/206499407

I did one about 15 years ago. I’m quite impressed with that Unit. It has a lot of things that would have made it much easier for me to manage.

Although, 10 circuits is pretty small number and only two 220’s. We have our fridge, our freezers (2), well, septic pump, (3) plug-in 20am outlets (that can power my router / pc), and about all our lighting circuits - which is about 10 by themselves. We’re running a 10K generator.

What questions do you have?

Just wondering if its a DIY type of project and or if I need an real electrician. :)

I’ve done basic stuff like adding a few circuit breakers and running wire to a few new outlets in the basement and have had to change a 3 prong outlet, to 4 prong outlet for my dryer.

We have a 5k generator (want to switch to a 7500k or higher propane/gas dual fuel model eventually) and have been using extension cords for the last few years when we have power outages. But as is, it does me no good for the well 220(15amp), nor septic pump 220 (30amp). So I pretty much need a transfer switch for the two 220 circuits, plus a few outlets in the house (fridge/router/pc/tv).

I installed a furnace transfer switch a few years ago, for winter power outages, but that was small time compared to this bigger transfer switch.

Looks like this:
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&ipp=48&Ntt=Reliance+Furnace+Transfer+Switch

Holy crap. A replacement door gasket will cost me between $57 and $65. New unit looking better.