Tell us what's happened to you recently (that's interesting)

The oldest barber I ever saw was my grandfather, who died earlier this year at 89. Of course he was semi-retired, only went into his shop three half days a week. And he didn’t really even cut hair much anymore, mostly he was sitting around with his friends drinking coffee. But hey, at 89, you do what you want.

On father’s day, my daughter wiped the floor with her brother and two cousins…

That’s pretty darn awesome, mono.

Last Friday, my girlfriend and I got to see U2’s Joshua Tree tour concert in Louisville, Kentucky. We made a mini-vacation out of the trip. It was a bucket list item for me as I was a huge fan of U2 and that particular album marked a special time in my life, cementing me as a lifelong fan. The concert ran nearly 4 hours, with Imagine Dragons opening, followed by U2 playing for nearly two and a half hours. It was amazing. The sound, the huge display, the integration of video while they played and the effects from that were absolutely stunning. Well worth the trip, and the event now sits atop my favorite concert list. There are still more tour dates and available seats at some of them I believe. Well worth it. Here are some of the pics below in higher res.

Looks very cool! I’m also quite a fan and I have been to the last three concerts they gave in the Netherlands, but unfortunately they are now playing exactly in the middle of our holiday. And driving back from France just for a concert is a bit too much (not to mention the tickets where sold out within minutes…). Oh well, maybe next time…

That’s really cool - I recall driving to Memphis back during the Popmart tour to see them perform with a bunch of friends - though to be honest at the time, I was more excited to see their opener, Rage Against the Machine. Both were awesome.

As for me, I’m taking the family to SoCal this weekend, going to check out Legoland and the San Diego Zoo and whatever else strikes our fancy. Anyone has any suggestions for things I should keep in mind for a long weekend in the Carlsbad/San Diego area, I’d love to hear them.

We go to legoland and the SD Zoo quite often. Carlsbad has the minature engineering museum, which is pretty cool for an hour or more and free. You missed their flower fields, but frankly that’s overpriced and you can see it just driving by anyways.

SD has a lot more to offer obviously. At the zoo you will be in Balboa park which has the Japanese Flower garden, automotive, air & space, photography, natural history, art, and my favorite - the model train museum.There is also a little train ride just outside the zoo that is easy to miss and yet another thing to do if your kid(s) are train nuts. We like to eat at Prado, which is a nice, if pricey restaurant right there.

And that’s just Balboa park, you can wander around there for quite awhile.

I got a decent haircut from an 88 year old barber last year. The guy was in the Army and mustered out and had been a barber ever since, nearly 60 years with the shears.

The guy trimmed my hair near my neck with a straight-blade, the kind you strop. That did make me nervous. He finally retired this year.

Cool! That’s all going on my list.

My poor wife. She’s undergoing The Purge for a colonoscopy. TMI I guess, sorry. Anyway she feels horrible. So while she is doing what she does It occurred to me that I have a lovely kit that I need to use in my bathroom. It involves a card with two flaps and a brush. If you don’t know what that is you’re probably under 50 years old.

It was then that I had a small epiphany. We are so fucking old. We are our parents. This sucks donkey balls.

I don’t know what that is and I’m almost 46, so, right on.

At the beginning of 2002 I mentioned on QT3 that I was going to be a dad.

That kid graduated middle school tonight.

QT3 is old enough to be the parent of a highschooler.

Turning 50 soon. I don’t know what that is but now I am afraid.

I also do not know what that is, but I’m only in my 30’s.

“He doesn’t even know how to use the seashells!”

I had this happen to me for the first time about three years ago. I remember having a sinus cold or something and then I started to have problems with vertigo. They were always short and involved quick head movement, but my doctor just said to let him know if it got worse. Thankfully it hasn’t, but it has never truly gone away either.

I heard a comedian on radio refer to that as the “night of a thousand waterfalls”. :)

Congrats!

My son just graduated from elementary school yesterday. All too fast!

Thankfully this has not come back, not even close. Apparently we have very high pollen right now, so the pressure is still there but nothing like that horrific experience. I can only hope it will be my last experience of that nightmare.

Nesrie, I’m not usually affected by pollen but it is hitting me very badly this season, especially so the last few weeks.

That’s good to know. Normally I don’t have those outdoorsy allergies, like not at all. Just lingering head colds sometimes or a lingering couch but nothing like my cousins who like suck pills down all spring and summer to breathe. There’s an actual warning out here for high pollen.