Tell us what's happened to you recently (that's interesting)

So if you are jumping from Assistant to Associate does that mean you are tenured now?

No, although it is tenure track. They gave me two years (I think) towards tenure, so I can/have to apply for tenure in three years, if I recall correctly.

So. My muppet dog is high as fuck. And my house looks like a concrete garage. The dog has been sick. The recent storms and the fact that we’re having renovation done, has freaked the dog out. Max was taken to the vet today and prescribed doggy drugs. We gave him one and in five minutes he was smashed. Meanwhile our floors have been stripped of tile and carpet. Interesting to note that it seems that construction workers like to graffiti the concrete slab before carpeting. As well there is a long crack running the full length of the floor. This is my life now. Pictures when I get to my laptop. I spent the day upstairs in the second floor guest room listening to destruction and tile saws. Fuck me.

You should try out those little dog coats that calm dogs down. I hear they work pretty well.

Saw the NASCAR Cup points leader, Kyle Larson, win a 410 sprint car feature at a 1/2 mile dirt track in PA with a sold out crowd on hand against a field of 42 cars with about 24 of them capable of winning. Very impressed.

The glory that was home is of another day.

I don’t think that’s graffiti. Orange is what, communication lines or at least supposed to be?

There is black spray paint that looks like tags as well.

WATER PLANT!

Also, deviled eggs.

Also: there appears to be a mouse in the kitchen!

Yea, I think much of that is direction for where things should be located. That is not unusual for new construction, you just never see it.

Hey, awesome! I’m up there a lot. Which school if you don’t mind sharing?

Be ready for a temperature spread. As an example, Bismarck hit 102 on the 4th, and Fargo was high 90s I believe. They both had a pretty high snow fall over the winter as well. I’m always amazed at the temperature extremes up there.

Thanks. I am at Dickinson State. I taught in northern South Dakota for three years (1998-2001), so I remember the temperature extremes. Dickinson gets a little less cold in winter which makes me sad, but it’ll still be better than Kansas weather. ;)

Hey that’s awesome. I’ve not spent too much time in the western part of the state but I hear it’s quite nice. And being close enough for a day trip to Montana, even nicer!

If you’ve not been up that way in a while, that makes me wonder if Dickinson swelled in population like the rest of the eastern half of the state after the oil field worker/family influx.

Good luck on the move, man. That’s going to be a quite a haul. Much better this time of the year versus later, though.

Think I have tinnitus. Also, upgraded to bifocals a few months back and I get to pitch my head in interesting ways so that I can see things at varying distances. Plus, if I turn my torso a certain way (you know, like a battlemech) I can feel a twinge in my chest that takes my breath away for a few seconds. Getting old is fun.

So, my city is having the coldest winter in the last 42 years. This week it got as low as 6C, but due to strong winds, apparent temperature went negative (-5C) in some areas of the city, for what I think is the first time in this region.

Also, keep in mind that, since that kind of cold is unusual, there is no heating in houses or buildings. At all. So yeah. It’s kind of cold. I like it, though. :)

Update:

Bathroom floor tile on backorder. Probably Monday.

Where’s the fucking plant?!?
You killed it, didn’t you?!?

But seriously, very nice upgrade.
Worth the hassle, isn’t it?
I always HATE doing these things, but then am so glad afterward.

Edit: I used to have a fixed shower head, but then switched to one of those, and life is much better now.