Tell us what's happened to you recently (that's interesting)

On sale at Appliance Direct n for $638.

I’m not sure if you like to cook or just want something that looks cool, but gas is so much better than electric it’s not even funny. I can boil water 3x faster with gas, I can have instant heat / warm / medium at the turn of my wrist.

You may not be plumbed for gas - right now, but I’d sure as heck recommend switching over.

Regardless of what kind you get, the hood is super important - having it ducted and big enough (8" is good) will keep the smoke out of your house.

Convection is pretty fast and accurate too. And doesn’t involve an open flame. The downside is only some pots/pans will work with it.

You probably mean “induction”. Convection is the forced-air oven feature. Induction is the one that generates heat directly in magnetically-compatible cookware.

Another vote for gas, here. It’s, by far, the best cooktop system.

I have electric, I’m skipping gas for induction when upgrade time comes. Everything you just said, plus no grates to clean, no burning your hands on it, etc.

Ah, but with gas, you can also blacken the skin of an eggplant for bangain bharta, quickly puff up and faintly scorch a roti, properly heat the obnoxiously slightly rounded bottom surface of my dosa tava. . .

. . . when we finally move, which I do hope is a long time from now, I very much look forward to the idea of having a gas stove. My Indian cooking’s gonna be off the chain!

I’d love to have gass. I have a gas water heater and what I think is an outlet on the deck, long-term plan, convert the stove and and get a permanent grill outside… shorter term, I think getting stonework outside and a good set-up for a gas grill will actually give me the best of both worlds for a bit… just need a reliable and honest contractor.

I do, yeah. Oops.

The burned gas that gas stoves emit is a mild carcinogen. We’re probably talking 30+ years of frequent use, but still, use your overhead fan whenever you cook with gas.

Preaching to the choir, boss. Unfortunately the area I live in has no underground gas. I would have to install a tank in the back yard. My back yard is the size of a postage stamp, so no go.

You could use individual propane tanks, like a third world country. (Or maybe you couldn’t, it might not be up to code in the US.)

Eh? The byproducts of burning natural gas are water and CO2. Or are you talking about the smell they put in it?

Cooking fumes in general are carcinogenic, some study found the presence of the mutagenic compounds was higher in gas cooking, probably because of the higher possible temperature on average ranges (since most electric eyes are anemic at best).

I tried to talk the wife into paying extra for a gas kitchen when we bought our last house. It probably wouldn’t have been to expensive as the model had gas plumbed to a fire place across the room, but she wanted electric. She now regrets that choice.

Well I have a gas/charcoal grill combo so I’m not completely screwed. :)

What if i light the charcoal with some of that laminated color newsprint? What about cooking a steak medium rare on gas vs burning the outside with organically sourced firewood?

It was always a maxim that gas stoves were better than electric because they “controlled the heat” better than electric; you can restrict the flame continuously but electric burners typically have 10 settings that simply alternate the coils being on and off. It seems like the hot thing now are individual induction plates.

There’s a local farm that does pick your own fruit in inn he summers, but also generally have a large area with picnic tables so people hang out after and eat picnic lunches.

Every time we go there, there’s a large Filipino family or church group or something that brings the most amazing looking lunches. Just huge coolers of tupperware containers with bone-in chicken and skewers of things and whatnot.

I’m always so jealous.

Actually the newer electric stoves now use more incremental steps than the old exposed metal spiral ones. As well, they have settings for two or three ring elements. You have a smaller 6 inch circle, a larger 8 inch ring and sometimes a 9 or 10 inch outer ring. It’s certainly not gas, but it’s a lot more controllable. I had to re-learn to cook using an electric stove and now I’ll have to learn a new way yet again. Induction was a bit out of our price range, but I’d like to try it eventually. The big draw for me was finally getting a true convection oven with a hidden bottom element. It also has a heating element in the fan. Supposed to be a damn good oven. Especially after two exposed elements in the old one.

The only thing is that there is no broiler element. OTOH you’re not supposed to need one. Convection is good at browning. And cleaning is easier because the bottom element is under the floor of the oven, like gas.

Broiling sure is handy for chicken tikka/tandoori, though!

Why is this is a permanent decision? Run the line, sell the stove, get a new stove?