Tell us what's happened to you recently (that's interesting)

Here’s a little story with no real end to it, and maybe no point beyond the general idea that teenagers are more brittle than they think they are.

My daughter got mononucleosis over the holidays. For those who are unclear or merely fuzzy, “mono” is a viral infection that is highly contagious, but it only spreads through saliva. Thus it is “The Kissing Disease”. Beyond the general range of flu-like symptoms, the main indicator of having mononucleosis is that you sleep a lot.

Obviously, this makes it kind of hard to diagnose in teens - the major risk-group for the disease.

So my 16-year-old daughter got it and she and her mother resolutely refused to abide by the doctor’s orders to stay inside and do nothing but rest. She would still head out to the mall, or go to movies, or even go to a hockey game (as a spectator). This - to everyone’s surprise but mine, I guess - resulted in her crashing hard and her neck swelling up like a linebacker’s. My wife ended up taking her to “Urgent Care” and getting her started on a regimen of steroids that quickly got her better.

Her boyfriend – despite what I thought were fairly stern warnings from me to avoid contracting the infection – came over pretty much every day to sit with her and watch movies and play “Fortnight” on the PS4 while she recovered. He’s a pretty good kid and a bit of a jock. In the fall he plays soccer and football at the same time (he’s the kicker for the football team). In the winter he plays basketball, and in the spring/summer he does soccer again. He’s average height for a teen boy at about 5’10", but I think of him as kind of shrimpy because my daughter towers over him at 6’1".

Fast-forward a couple weeks and I take her back to the doctor for a follow-up. She’s on a “club” volleyball team with a tournament over MLK weekend, and even though she hasn’t practiced in weeks they’re begging her to play… mostly because the other girl in her position tore her meniscus earlier in the week.

No dice, says the doctor: the AMA guidelines say no sports for three to four weeks after diagnosis. The reason for this is that mononucleosis causes your spleen and liver to swell up and partially leave the protective embrace of your rib cage. That means that they are more likely to rupture if you are, say, hit by a rapidly-moving volleyball. Doc says that based on my daughter’s recovery, she’s happy to let her play after just three weeks… which will be a full week after the tournament.

We decide that we’ll head down to Richmond (the site of the tournament) and support her team even though she can’t play. This isn’t quite as selfless as it sounds: the hotel rooms were got at a reduced rate and they were non-refundable.

So we head down and spend an enjoyable day and night hanging out with the team and the other parents.

MEANWHILE, my daughter’s boyfriend is off snowboarding.

His family are big skiers and they are off at “Whitetail”, a West Virginia mountain retreat which is occasionally a ski resort if the winter is cold enough, like this year.

Later that Saturday, my daughter comes running over to us where we are watching one of the volleyball games. It turns out that Boyfriend decided to do a “trick jump” with his snowboard, but he kind of landed on his head. His sister called my daughter to let her know that they’re rushing him to a hospital because they suspect internal bleeding.

My daughter is admirably stoic in the face of crises, but she insists that we have to leave RIGHT NOW to go see him.

No, says I, we don’t know where they’re going and we wouldn’t be able to do anything but get in the way if we did. We’re staying in Richmond and we’ll monitor the situation remotely as god intended.

She calms down and we wait for further word. Eventually it comes: no fracture, no internal bleeding, “just” a severe concussion.

Later that night she’s able to talk to him via speakerphone in his hospital room. She has us on speaker too so we can all chat with him and his family.

This concussion isn’t that bad, he tells us. The pain in his spine was really bad at first; much worse than his first concussion, but that’s abated mostly. Unlike his second concussion he didn’t actually lose his sight for a few hours, on this one his vision blurred but came back fine. And the headache he has doesn’t seem to be as nausea-inducing as his other concussions - especially the fifth one back in October.

At this point I kind of had to put in my two cents. “Nick,” I say, mostly because his name is Nick, “it’s not actually a good thing to be able to compare concussions like some kind of connoisseur. I think maybe you’re doing something very wrong here.”

“That’s what I’ve been saying!” says his mother, on the other side of the connection.

So now my daughter is in romantic heaven. Her boyfriend came over to nurse her back to health with the mono, and now she gets to return the favor – he’s not allowed to watch TV or read or really even to open his eyes for too long. So she gets to sit at his bedside and READ to him for hours at a time.

I thought that meant she’d read books or maybe even poetry, but no – she reads texts from his friends and then he dictates replies.

Kids.

Heh. Oh well. That stuff makes me crazy but I grew up without it, so it’s me.

Sounds like Nick may need to give up sports. If he’s had six concussions now something isn’t right.

My son applied for a job back in the fall, which I can’t talk about yet but which is sort of in the upper pantheon of geek dream jobs. 800+ people applied in the first week. He got a phone interview, waited a few months, and then was one of the handful invited for all-day in-person interviews. Then, more waiting.

Today he got the news. Unfortunately they went with someone with industry experience, but they were so impressed with him that they are inventing a freelance position to groom him into a role. It’s not the news we had hoped for, but it’s also not the “no” we feared. It may even end up being a better fit for him in terms of getting up to speed under less intense pressure.

You guys would totally geek out if I could tell you about the job. Hopefully I’ll be able to do so soon. I’m really proud of him. From 800+ candidates down to 2! Amazing.

That’s great news, @BiggerBoat. I remember when I was a young man trying to get that kind of job. It’s not easy. Not easy at all. Kudos to your son.

That’s incredible and, yeah, it sounds like a better deal for him.

@Tin_Wisdom oof, some of that sounded a bit icky from the mono liver/spleen stuff to Nick’s accidents. He needs to ease down!

So here I sit salivating like mad. There is a bunch of stuff in my mouth. The teeth are officially in. I just have to learn to talk and eat again and Robert is your father’s brother. Tonight I practice at the bar. Shut up.

Glad your daughter is better @Tin_Wisdom, and good luck with the rest of her volleyball season. My daughter also plays club volleyball, their first tournament of the season is next weekend. Hotel living and 10 hours in a giant gym or convention center listening to 100 whistles at once…GOOD TIMES. =)

I can’t believe her boyfriend’s parents still let him play football and soccer after multiple concussions. That’s nuts. I can see sustaining one on a freak play or outside of your sport, recovering, and then returning to play, but after two or three it’s just too dangerous to his long-term health and well-being. Maybe I’m being too judgmental, but that scares me. My son, now a senior in high school, played football and lacrosse from grade school through his junior year in high school, and dropped both this year partly because he watched friends get injured last season and didn’t think it was worth the risk knowing he wasn’t going to play in college. Turned out to be a great decision, as he now has a really good job after school that has him home every night by 6:30, and more time to spend on homework, friends, his girlfriend and video games (listed in reverse order of importance!). =)

Hard to disagree with that. If he were my kid, I’d force him to wear a batting helmet 24/7.

I approve of this approach, pretty much no matter what is being practiced.

You, sir. Do not shut up. :D

I talk to my nephew multiple times a week these days, he’s about 3.5 years old. I wind up talking to him because I am talking to my sister, and he wants to talk to his auntie. If the call is while I am work, it’s using our phones. At night and weekends, computers, Discord, Gchat, whatever we feel like.

Why does this matter? My nephew doesn’t understand why sometimes he can’t see me. When he wants to “talk” to someone he assumes he will also be able to see them. When he can’t, he gets confused. His mommy and daddy then explain to him why I can’t see the toy he’s evidently trying to show me.

Oh and right now, he started understanding that superheroes have real names so he likes to tell everyone about them and ask about the ones he doesn’t know… Sadly I had to look up Ant-man.

My best friend’s little nephew–around 7 or 8, I think–got an iPad recently and I guess can use iMessage or something similar on it? I’m still an Apple nooblet apart from the Air. Anyway, he’s been texting her nonstop the last few weeks. He’s homeschooled and they live in rural Maine, so he gets crazy lonely, but precocious kid. When she shares his rapidfire stream-of-consciousness messages with us, it’s a hoot :) (but I’m real super glad I don’t have kids or even young nephews/nieces that we’re in touch with; my partner’s younger bro kinda abandoned his kid and the mother vanished from our lives)

Aah Armanndo, that’s so sad.

Yeah i love being able keep in touch with nephew #2, by age, as easily as I do. He still doesn’t understand why I can’t come over and play though… the concept of me flying 11 hours to get there is still a challenge. Young kids do have interesting thought processes though, and I just wonder if the voice calls will die out entirely in a couple of decades.

So my dad called me today, it’s actually the first time we’ve talked since I left for the holidays because he goes to bed often before I stop working; I also wasn’t really ready to hear about his master plan, so I didn’t’ call him. This made today’s’ call the first time we’ve talked since he shared his retirement plan with my sister… and the plan is now destroyed.

They won’t give him the loan for the house. He got his down payment back. I tried to encourage him to save. The semi-truck is supposed to be paid off this year which means he should be able to save more after sticking more aside for the repairs that just comes with being a truck driver… but he can’t. Why… well apparently he took out loan on the truck that he should owned out right by now to buy the lot next to his other ocean lot so he could have more land there…

So… as I suspected, he’s in debt up to his eyeballs.

I guess this means I can try and shove this worry to some other corner of my brain as something to worry about some other time. It’s my turn to call my sister because I don’t think she knows never actually owned the house, but at least she can file this away too for a couple of years… hopefully.

But no worries, the mother has stepped in in his place. She is spending a week with one of my great uncles to try and stop drinking herself to death every night. I suspect this is not the best approach but at least I won’t get another go see if you’re mom is alive calls which I have received in the past when she’s so drunk she doesn’t respond to the phone and no one else knows who to call except me.

We have an interview with a birth mother this evening. I’m basically totally unable to focus on work due to nerves, so I’m thankful for Qt3 for giving me something constructive(?) to do.

Best of luck with the interview!

Good luck~!

Good luck with the interview - hope all goes well!!

I had a silver pass for the parks back when I worked at Disney but today we bought our first ever annual passes to Disneyland. So I think we’ll pretty much be going to the parks every other weekend in 2018 to make maximize the value :D Maybe our girls will get so sick of Disney that we’ll never have to go again by December!

Hey, I live right by Disneyland! We go to Downtown Disney pretty often. Love the Lego store there.

So my dog got sprayed by a skunk again. My fault as I let her off leash, but she came back and got into the house before we knew she had been sprayed. Now I’m sitting in skunk stink and we are trying to mitigate with fans, baking soda and Febreeze. Man it’s a strong smell. Phew!

She didn’t go crazy and start barking? My old dog never got sprayed, but when I let her out and there was skunk smell in the area, she would stop, sniff the air… pause for a moment… and then go absolutely apeshit, barking as loud as she could. Seriously Daisy, I can smell it too! I don’t need you to warn me!