Tell us what's happened to you recently (that's interesting)

God damn it, my blood’s boiling. I’m so sorry to hear all that and I hope you get it resolved somehow and as soon as possible.

So I got curious and Googled “The Toll Roads California”. Holy Shit.

From what I’ve read, it’s basically a government sponsored and protected scam. It’s not just accidental “users” of the toll roads (like yourself) that get blindsided, even the people who KNOW the roads are there and pay the company for a transponder so they can drive the roads legally end up getting completely screwed when they try to cancel their subscription or move or try to interact with the system in any way. The roads are not clearly marked, there is no way to pay at the point of access or egress, the online payment system often does not work, the timing for payments and penalties is ridiculously short, and the penalties compound at staggering rates in a very short amount of time, despite the fact that reaching customer service of any kind is nearly impossible unless you actually go to their offices in Irvine, where they’re as likely to turn you away as listen.

It is the worst example of predatory practices tired to government that I’ve ever seen. It makes red light ticket cameras seem like child’s play.

My advice would be to lawyer up, like yesterday. You’ll probably have to pay their outrageous fees, then sue them to get some of your money back. In the meantime, I don’t know how this scam hasn’t been plastered all over 60 Minutes, Dateline and other local and national news. Maybe start calling media outlets if you know anyone who could get these stories out in front of the public.

Where the heck are there toll roads in California…

/googles

Oh, Orange County. That makes sense.

I was about to post that I’m pretty sure almost all of the toll roads around LA are in Orange County. I only run into them during rare visits to my cousin near Balboa. I assume most of them are for the express purpose of allowing richer folks to avoid having to sit in traffic with the poor.

I live right off one of them in OC, and take them all the time. Cops love to hide on them and hand out tickets like candy, which is amusing. The two times I have gotten a toll ticket from them in 20 years it was on a rental car and the transponder didn’t go off. I just paid it, didn’t think it would be worth the hassle and it sounds like I was very much correct.

To me the markings are pretty clear and obvious, at least on the 73/91/241/261, but shit happens. I have had people coming the opposite way towards me on a one way entrance ramp trying to avoid paying the toll. Most move slowly on the shoulder but one asshole was going 50mph right towards me. Not wanting to play chicken I just pulled over and watched them whip by.

That’s just crazy to think they could end up losing their car because of a missed communication. Never mind those insane penalty fees.

Theoretically some have an end date for tolls, like the 73 in 2050, but I would be surprised if they ever voluntarily turned off that spigot.

Yea, the only toll road I had heard about in California was inland in the OC.

My daughter, while living in the LA area got a few parking tickets. She parked on the street (where else you say) on street cleaner day. The state sucked the money out of her next tax refund. I am surprised they didn’t do that with you. But then everyone else doesn’t make a dime I guess.

I just read a tweet which began “Incels & the broader manosphere…” and understood it, so I realize I no longer want my life.

You have been broken by the internet. Here’s your welcome card.

I just today learned what an incel is thanks to the Toronto massacre! That makes it a double shitshow!

I’m not sure what this says about my internet usage, but I’m honestly surprised that youve avoided learning about incels this long.

I did a pretty deep dive into the Pick Up Artist community a while back though, which is where I first learned about them, so maybe they’re not as common knowledge as I think.

I’m trying to think what the last thing on the internet that truly horrified me was (like conceptually, not just gross images or whatever). I’m pretty jaded these days.

And now I know what an Incel is too. I remember someone mentioning this group here before, something about literal penis nailed to a board. I just don’t understand the if it weren’t for women I’d get laid by women stuff coming out of this group.

I’m gonna go with: bingo.

My “favorite” internet subculture, all these years later, is still otherkin, who aren’t so horrifying so much as just plain weird.

Pretty sure I’m being set up. You know I’m going to google that right?

Nah, they’re fine. From Wikipedia:

Otherkin largely identify as mythical creatures,[4] with others identifying as creatures from fantasy or popular culture. Examples include: angels, demons, dragons, goats, elves, fairies, sprites, aliens,[5][6][7] and cartoon characters.[8] Many otherkin believe in the existence of a multitude of parallel universes, and their belief in the existence of supernatural or sapient non-human beings is grounded in that idea.[9]

Emphasis mine. People who believe that they are literally Goku, or Disney princesses or whatever.

Wait what? No kinky sex? I feel like I’m taking crazy pills!

Oh cripes. Incels?!? Yet another group to be sensitive toward (not that there’s anything wrong with that).
First I’ve heard the word too.

Okay I’ve come up with one of my own: Wohainde.
Work Hard, In Debt.
Except that that’s probably not a minority group.

No they’re assholes by definition, don’t be nice to them.

That’s basically this: https://www.reddit.com/r/LateStageCapitalism/

Yeah if they were nice they might have a better chance at dates, but it sounds like they don’t want dates just… attractive sex slaves? It’s so weird.

I’ll be damned.
But Wohainde has a nicer ring to it.