Tell us what's happened to you recently (that's interesting)

Guess what? I very well may have your solution :)

Here’s what you do: laugh at the people who claim certain baits have to be used. Grab some pond plants and other plantie-like things and cover the top of the cage (and sides a bit too). You have a trapped Woodchuck in 2 days.

Here’s what happened. The guy you see pictured moved under our shed and garage. We baited this damn trap for weeks with everything under the sun and were getting so frustrated. So one day my next plan was to throw a bunch of stuff on it cause we trimming our pond plants, and maybe in a few days I might have the energy to do all the baiting stuff after another grocery trip to buy stuff we never eat ourselves. Not a single thing inside the trap. Next day I go out to feed our frogs and I’m like, “wait a sec… are there beady eyes looking out from inside the trap?” Could not believe it.

It gets better. So we also have possum and raccoon issues because of our frog bog and koi pond. I threw that crap back on top and next day we’d caught a possum. Next day another possum. Two days later a raccoon. When we baited that thing with fruits, dog food, cat food, etc, it could take til the stuff went rancid before we caught one of those critters trying to eat our frogs.

All it took, was covering the trap with green plant material. The only thing I can think, is they see the most awesome little hobbit cave and cannot resist the urge to scope it out - front to back.

Make sure to place the trap just a few feet from his current entrance.

Hopefully nothing worse happened beyond the scare. Your tread looks pretty worn from that picture. I think you may want to replace all four tires.

No everything was fine. It literally blew in the garage… probably the best place for this to happen actually.

Hah, that’s what my dad just said. I just had these rotated two months ago. They didn’t say anything about it, and it passed the lincoln test.

that is such an awesome story!

Thanks for your experience, @jpinard! Yeah, I’d read that we need to try to camoflauge the cage, and while we don’t have pond plants handy, we do have woods behind the house, and I was planning to go grab some branches and brush to cover it up with. While we have three holes in the yard, it’s only the one in the side yard that I regularly see him poking his head out of, so I was planning on putting the trap near that one.

I’ve no idea if we’ll catch other critters - possum and raccoons are certainly a possibility. But hopefully we’ll catch our woodchuck friend quickly enough.

Every wedding I ever went to in Brooklyn had this as an appetizer. Tasty, indeed.

That’s amazing! What a find.

I did a volunteer thing where I went to the airport and pretended to be in an air crash with dozens of other people. The FAA wanted the airport to practice this sort of thing every three years, to test emergency response and (as a secondary objective) practice getting status updates of simulated passengers to simulated friends/relatives waiting at the airport. They gave me a card with a fake name (Jayden Ricks) and address and description of how badly I was injured. Then they bussed us out over and under the runways until we got to a passenger jet they set on fire occasionally for the firefighters to practice on. The chief fire safety guy set off some sort of pyrotechnics in the jet to make it start smoking pretty seriously. I don’t know if there was actual fire on board.

(They didn’t allow us to pull out our phones and take pictures, so this is a Google Maps photo of the jet. It has seen better days.) We waited as a number of special airport fire trucks rushed up to the plane and started shooting it with water cannons. Then a line of airport police arrived, then a number of ambulances from around the area.

There were about a hundred and fifty of us passengers. If we were standing on the tarmac, we were considered to be to be able to get off of the plane under our own power at least. The fire safety officer who briefed us said that there were many pieces of wood propped up in the seatbacks on the plane that represented passengers that straight up did not make it. The rest of us were either “casualties” or “survivors”, which meant uninjured. I wasn’t uninjured.

My condition was pretty grim, I had an obvious head wound (they didn’t put any wound makeup on us, this was all in the realm of imagination) and no pulse, so one airport policeman wasted his breath on me for a while trying to see if I could talk or walk. Then some firefighters (including one awfully pretty woman) tried doing CPR on me (in the sense of “hey, we’re doing CPR on you”) until someone who was more in charge came over, looked at my chart more closely and said “nope, he’s dead, move on.” Then they left me, which made me feel kind of sad… but that’s triage in a mass casualty incident, I guess. Then later, after the survivors that could walk had been evacuated and most of the injured had been transported away, they said I had “gotten better” so I should ride in an ambulance to the “hospital”, which was the airport fire station, instead of wherever they set up their morgue. I don’t know how I got better but the EMTs were calling me Lazarus and I was calling me a zombie. There at the fire station, they took my card with my name and address, and I got to chill out with other volunteers at a Salvation Army truck, where they dispensed snacks and hot drinks. I don’t know how successful the exercise was —there were evaluators walking around, so there was definitely some right ways and wrong ways to approach it—but I was just a tiny broken cog in a vaster machine.

In all, it was a cool experience. The first responders and we civilians got to play in a massive game of make believe. I’d definitely do it again if there’s another opportunity. They say the FAA makes them do it every three years, and MSP picks a different airline to host it. This time it was Southwest Airlines, which made all us volunteers bleakly laugh, considering their recent air fatality. They played their role as “Liberty Airlines”. So don’t fly Liberty Airlines! Their planes crash!

That’s pretty damned neat. I mean, it makes absolute sense they practice these things, I’ve never heard of them at all until now. Thanks for sharing the details.

So I opened my mail in ballot today, preparing to vote and discovered there are 32 people running for Dianne Feinstein’s Senate seat, and 27 people running for governor.

In the governor group is a guy named Wildstar, another named Zoltan and someone named Thomas Jefferson Cares.

I did something similar a long time ago, but on a much smaller scale.

My friend was training to be an EMT, and was taking the required courses. One of the final exams involved doing a live drill of some sort, and my SO (at the time) and I were recruited to be actors.

My SO was playing a guy who had somehow severed his arm in a chainsaw accident. My only role was to be the panicking and shrieking wife. The exam taking students had to be properly treating the patient while also dealing with a shrieking nutcase, no doubt a major distraction in a stressful situation.

It was pretty fun. I don’t think anyone failed on my account. ;)

I enjoyed this. Great story.

I became an uncle last week, as my “little” sister gave birth to her first child. A feminine child. Named Tessa.

It’s really cool to get to tell your sister “Happy Mother’s Day” for the first time. I sent her one of my favorite books that I read my kid when he was tiny. Knuffle Bunny by Mo Willems.

-xtien

“She went boneless.”

Gratz! Always nice to be(come) an uncle.

Congrats! As a fellow uncle, I should clarify that besides being awesome to your new niece, you are also in charge of planning out the perfect toys for any upcoming birthday/Christmas. By perfect, that means anything that takes a ton of batteries, lots of assembly or makes horribly annoying noises.

You have to work in ways to annoy your sister, even though she has kids now. :)

Thank you for the wishes (you too @mjgreeny75) and the advice. I’ve spent so many years working to annoy my mom that it might be a tough adjustment, though.

Batteries. Huh. Maybe I’ll get her a space shuttle toy.

-xtien

It starts with the loud and obnoxious toys. Eventually your sister will wise up and start taking those away, that’s when you switch to highly desired toys that take a lot of assembly or batteries.

I don’t want you to think I’m all asshole, I also introduced my nieces and nephews to console gaming with gifts, and as the older 3 got within the age range for it, I bought all three of them laptops. But my role as uncle Skipper must include some way to keep my sister on her toes.

One of my favorite uncle moments was when my brother-in-law bought my son this fairly complicated Lego Star Wars set for Christmas one year. It was way too old for my kid, but the uncle “dutifully” sat down to work on it with him on the kitchen floor.

And I realized…“Hey. Wait a minute. He used my child to buy that as a gift for himself!”

Oh well. It made them both happy.

-xtien

Is that a Godfather reference? Gender-swapped, that is. ;)

Yes. Well done!

-xtien