Tell us what's happened to you recently (that's interesting)

They can delay your flight for 12 hours…and those seats require a contortionist’s talents.

Try taking a red eye. Oof. Leaving at 11:45 pm and arriving at 5:30 AM.

You’re tired for a week after that.

Don’t fly Southwest unless you have to. That DFW-> Phoenix route sounds … Southwest-y. Glad you made it back.

Liquor is mandatory. MANDATORY. And I hate drinking. Jesus.

The office shut down because of a power surge on Friday. Drinking a few craft IPAs in the Texas heat at 3pm. It was all I could do not to sleep on the couch at 6pm… and then we went out to dinner. Urgh.

SPEAKING OF POWER SURGES…

Was anyone else knocked out of working around, say, lunch-2pm CST in the US on Friday?

We experienced a power surge, but the lights came back on. However all the battery back ups were screaming, and reseting them did nothing. Odd. Also noticed some people had desk fans and these were working… but at like half speed. Odd. Then the next door neighbors stopped over and said their computers wouldn’t come on. Hmm. Reset the breakers ect to no avail.

So the multimeter we had wasn’t working, ran and got a new one. Was only drawing 70~ish volts from the 110v wall socket.

So this doesn’t seem all that interesting yet. Except someone from another town’s cell phone went off the air at around the same time. Ok, data point two. Texas is on its own grid though, so maybe it’s just a grid thing.

Except someone in Santa Fe also had their computer stop working at the same time. Different state, different power grid. Weird.

Anyone else experience interruption on Friday?

I fly Southwest a fair amount of the time for work. I find them just fine. Lots of frequent flights and they know how to get their planes turned around and moving. What’s your concern with them?

Their planes are 30 years old, more or less. Every time I fly with them (and I’ve been flying SWA for 30+ years) I’m surprised more and more at how old the plane feels. And strange sounds, strange vibrations, ect. Flying el Cheapo Norwegian 737s were like 21st vs 20th with SWA.

Not to mention delays are seeming to happen so much more frequently now, and spot prices are barely if ever better than other low cost carriers.

If Southwest bought 50 more 737s and upgraded their domestic fleet i’d be happy. Instead they buy new planes and add overseas routes and keep the cardboard boxes flying another year… Last year a woman died (for the firrst time) on a SWA flight.

I haven’t noticed that, at least recently. According to Wikipedia, their current oldest planes are 737-700’s from 1997. They did have some 737-300’s in service until last year, which were 30 years old. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwest_Airlines

For me, I find Southwest flights comparable to taking United or AA, in terms of my satisfaction. As a business traveler, I actually like their no pre-assigned seating policy. You pay a little bit more for the business select and you’re always sitting near the front of the plane. It’s a big plus when taking a short flight not to get stuck behind a bunch of infrequent travelers who take forever to get off the plane.

This is characteristic of a failure of one phase of the power supplied by your utility. It often happens when one line is interrupted but the others are still connected and working, or a transformer fault which fails open on one circuit. This is not something you can fix on your premises, so usually it is recommended to turn off your main breaker panel and wait for the utility to fix things. Sometimes devices can be sensitive to low voltage and will fail or be damaged, but simple analog power devices (like fans and such electric machines) will often work at least partially.

Example:
https://www.woodharbinger.com/partial-power-outage/

And my luggage has made it home to me, all is well! All this talk about lost luggage and Phoenix reminds me of my traveling days, I was bouncing between Bakersfield and Phoenix and I think the cheapest flight I could get was America West, and I recall that in maybe a two week period I flew two complete circuits, so four trips back and fourth, and of those four flights the airline lost my luggage three times. I mean totally “sorry sir, we have no idea where your bags are” kind of thing. I think they always turned up eventually but I do believe that was what finally kicked me over to going full carry-on wherever possible.

Yup. I do carry-on only for any trip of two weeks or less. I’d rather do laundry, if needed, then deal with time and risk associated with checked-in baggage.

The only time I’ve had lost luggage was during the few years I was visiting my folks in Germany (they’re back stateside these days). Coming back was always a nightmare, because US Customs and Immigration stops you and checks you at your first stop and actively prioritizes (or did) people without a connecting flight to catch and take freaking forever just to rubber stamp you (or at least, that’s all they ever did with me). And in this particular case, they deplaned the checked luggage, transferred it to my scheduled connecting flight, and then I was too delayed by customs to actually catch that flight. So technically not so much lost as just not immediately possible for me to claim.

I believe I insisted on at least 2.5-3 hour layovers coming back from then on.

Have you seen my rhythm section?

J/K Glad everything worked out man. Try to rest now.

I fly Southwest and I’m generally happy with them. They have in flight wifi that has access to lots of free stuff to pass the time, including live TV. Sometimes I fly United but they make me rage with how they nickle and dime you over everything. They also seem to have more delays than Southwest.

Millerton Lake, just a few minutes out of town (sounds weird saying that but the town has grown over the years) is known for eagle watching during certain times of the year.

It is not unusual to see hawks in the trees around my house. Probably has something to do with the dove and geese populations around here now.

We’ve got some hawks nesting on our street at the moment. There are 4 of them, presumably 2 adults and 2 young. The first I knew of them was when I opened the back door to let my cat out one morning and she stepped out and froze. And there were 2 of them perched on the fence staring at her. My cat decided she didn’t have to go out after all.

My wife saw a hawk take a kitten from the middle of the street several years ago.

You’re making me nervous. I’m flying Southwest. I have not flown in forever.

Southwest is fine. Just flew them last weekend. No issues. No hassles. No extra fees for anything.

Wear a mask, but you probably knew that. You might qualify for early boarding due to your medical issues.

Considering how many flights a day they, day in day out, flying is still the safest mode of travel.

Just don’t sit behind the motor. :)