Tell us what's happened to you recently (that's interesting)

I don’t understand what this means, but as the owner of a house that struggles mightily to even temperatures out between floors, I feel like I should.

Sorry, split system. They kind of look like this.

I have an older house, so I can’t control each room separately through the central system. This is a ductless option that allows me to control the hottest room in the house, the office I now work from home in, so I don’t have to blast the big system just to keep the one room cool.

Oh so a one-room standalone AC unit? Gotcha.

It doesn’t actually have to be one per room. That’s the indoor unit. There is also an external unit. That external unit can go to maybe 4 rooms or so, and it is is A/C as well as heat.

Another interesting little factoid is it never turns off. when it reaches it’s temp it just goes to very low / slow energy output. It has something to do with being energy efficient and the claim that starting and stop units suck juice. All professional terms of course ;-)

While we’re on the subject, most of the houses in Puerto Penasco have split systems (the ones with AC, anyway).

One nice thing about the heat? You don’t have to shovel it.

I haven’t shoveled snow in about 25 years. But I’ve sweated my ass off 5 months a year that whole time.

Reminds me of a discussion I had once with a colleague from Buffalo, NY who was aghast at the weather patterns where I live. “Don’t you just get sick of the rain in Seattle?” Sometimes, sure, I said. But I’ve never had to shovel rain out of my driveway. Also, I don’t have air conditioning.

They’re worried about rain? The humidity in New York / New Jersey is awful. Forget the fiery inferno of hell. The books have it all wrong. Hell has to be humid because that’s hell on earth.

On top of that, she was telling me that she lived on a farm outside Buffalo, and once her family was snowed in for two weeks. Yeah, no thanks.

My sister tries to get me to move near them all the time, ever since I went 100% virtual. Beautiful houses over there and it would be nice to be closer to her again. Their taxes are extremely high, they have humidity and large amounts of snow and they can’t use studs, I think, so there is AWD or car ice-skating. No one stops for accidents, like no witnesses will actually stopped. We witnessed an accident, and they wouldn’t stop to let me give my info, and no one else did either. They get the wind of hurricanes if not the hurricane itself, and it’s humid as hell so spending out in the summer is just like…awful. I try to go in the spring when sometimes they also get flooding.

But they don’t have volcanoes and not very often any sort of forest fire. I still feel like I prefer heat where shade matters.

I don’t have a split system but even with a small outdoor unit for whole house, I can easily keep up even at 100 degrees and some southern humidity. Can I sit in 65 degree rooms inside on days like that? Not really. But it will certainly get cold enough to call it relaxing. Honestly dehumidifying down here is the largest chunk of it.

What Nesrie has is the latest and greatest, especially helpful if your home didn’t have A/C run everywhere or was never intended to keep 3 floors cool with no separate zones. i considered getting what she has when i upgraded last year.

Not so much interesting as annoying.

Around 11:30 AM the power goes off. The wife forgot to pay the bill. She pays it right away. About an hour goes by. Call them, “We have a ticket. It should be on soon.”

2 hours later, call again. “We have the ticket in the system. No idea when it will be on.”

5 hours later. It’s 85 degrees indoors. There is probably food going bad in the fridge. Call again.

“We don’t have a ticket open for you. We’ll open one now.” What the bleeding fuck? I hang up.

Two minutes later power goes on.

Aren’t power and gas companies supposed to put a physical paper notice on a house if they plan on shutting electrical or gas down? If that has gone away, then that is just wrong.

It probably varies from state to state, but they send notices in the mail and will knock on the door before shutting off a utility. Also, they have weather-related rules about shutting off heat and electricity, at least in Missouri.

I have a family member in Wilmington NC. With the flooding, every road in and out of the city was cutoff for days. It may be weeks before they get power back, and they are lucky their house was not in a totally underwater area. Every place has its own quaint weather effects.

Tattoo update!

Well, the original design of the Tagaryen sigil at the (arm) size it turns out would have healed and looked bad. I am glad the artist warned us and didn’t simply ink my sin and collect his pay!

Instead he and my boy worked out a much more awesome dragon design with the Targaryn words. Here it is after todays three hour session, and a pic of what the final product will look like in two weeks after another three or so.

O

I finally signed up for bill pay several years ago when first offered by my bank. I had your issue once when coming home from a business trip. Never again. There is nothing like a sweltering house to help you learn a lesson. :( Even for the vendors that I can’t get an actual bill to pay online, I pre-pay a set amount, monthly.

God I hate bills.

I was initially very resistant to auto-paying via bank withdrawal. Trusting companies to reach into a bank account and take money is scary. Ultimately I decided the risk they’ll screw that up is less than the risk I’ll screw something up and not pay though.

All my bills except one, which doesn’t allow it, are auto-paid either on a card or straight from the account (the latter is called direct debit here). Many billers offer a discount if you do, and whatever risk there is is far outweighed by getting rid of the hassle and the risk of missing a bill. You get advance notice of what they’re going to take and legally you’re entitled to an immediate refund if they make a mistake.