Tell us what's happened to you recently (that's interesting)

I have heard of people boiling their water before using it. My local radio station spent an hour on this the other day because some woman in Washington died from the amoeba’s mushing out part of her brain and the radio guy is a heavy nedipot user.

Broken image links do cause me to doubt myself, that’s true.

I was going to make this case. You need to sterilize the water first before doing netipot. With the country heating up, there will be many more infectious agents ready to colonize water and thus your mucosal membranes. And even if a person had treated water via city, you can’t guarantee that from the city treatment center, through the pipes, and out your faucet is going to be clear. Just on the inside of faucets you can have a large collection of bacteria and algae growing.

The water filter in my fridge is rated to filter amoebas. I don’t even cook with tap water.

Link?

According to the sheet that comes with it it filters particles larger than .5 microns. The average amoeba is 250 to 750 microns. I’ll look for a pdf when I get a chance.

Hah sorry wasn’t doubting your claim so much as for a product link for possibly buying one, because that would be convenient.

Oh, hey, no problem. It’s an EveryDrop by Whirlpool Refrigerator Water Filter 1. No doubt any newer fridge has a comparable one.

The radio show I spoke about above had a biologist call in who said there was no way she would ever use a netipot and that most water filters are useless against bacteria. Pretty scary stuff.

I wouldn’t use one regardless of the amoebas. I think they are gross and disgusting.

I don’t have a neti pot, but I do use a filtered, boiled saline rinse.

I discovered that my return ticket had only one checked in luggage included, and that overweight luggage is expensive. That said, worth it:

Whoa AWESOME! Can I come over and play?

Sure, let me know when you’re in Tromsø!

Impressive! Wouldn’t it be cheaper to ship it home though?

Probably, but I didn’t plan it out. It worked out, though.

Ah, ok. Bit hard to send then home from the airport indeed. Anyway: welcome back to Europe! ;-)

We took posession of our new home in Puerto Penaasco yesterday and I learned some interesting things about life there:

1. There is no snail mail service. None, Utility bills are slipped under the door, or (for a premium) can be emailed to you. If we want to mail something like a birthday card, we have to drive back across the border to do it.

2. Every house has a weighted metal pole-and-anchor thing outside to hold trash cans in place when you put them out for collection? Why? So the stray digs wandeirng around don’t knock them over when they attempt to go through them. It’s also recommended that we drill holes in our trash can, because otherwise it will be stolen by people who might wse them for storage or collect water.

3. There are no city gas lines, so the house isn’t heated (we already knew this and have to pick up a couple of space heaters). The water heater and the stove run off of propane tanks outside, which we have to monitor and refill as needed.

All of that said, water and electricity will each run us about $15/month. Last night we took our friends out to dinner to a neighborhood seafood house they like. Strictly geared to locals, dinner for the four of us came to $26 plus tip :)

We’ll be moving down around Jan 15.

DANG.