Tell us what's happened to you recently (that's interesting)

Master. We’re in a tight spot.

Seems bizarre that it costs more to get a bill emailed than it does to get it hand-delivered. Can you set up auto-pay?

I don’t understand it myself. I don’t think you can pay with a US debit card or credit card at all. Standard procedure for expats seems to be walking in with cash.

All of this is, or course, second hand. We’ll find out more once we actually move.

Indeed. Which is why we’re moving down.

I find it pretty cool that despite the song and turn of phrase, you’re actually ON the oceanfront property in Arizona, if only a few miles across the strip in Mexico.

Speaking of, how is the commute back in? Where’s your nearest airport and whatnot? And how has the language barrier been?

Since the major industry is now tourism, and there is a huge expat population, English is widely spoken. I’ve only run into a language barrier a couple of times so far. Funnily enough, once was at dinner the other night. No one working spoke English, and Google insisted on translating something on the menu as a “callous”.

There is an airport in Puerto Penasco, but no flights form the US. There there are persistent rumors that they’ll be starting in the next few months. For now you have to drive 3-4 hours to Phoenix or Tucson and fly in and out through one or the other.

I’m jealous, it sounds like a great life on the beach. Cheers to you both!

Thank you. I’m looking forward to the adventure.

Beaches are horrible. Just the worst. There is blazing hot sad, freezing cold water. Plus, sand, which gets between your toes. And sand that gets in your things. And sand that gets in your eyes if there is a strong wind. And then it’s hard to remove the sand, because if you wish it off, more sand gets stuck to you and more sand gets between your toes. It’s the worst!

I have to be honest, I’m just not fond of beaches,

Kidding. I don’t think you’ll turn evil.

But just in case I’m going to ask you stay away from any daycare centers.

Forgive them father, they know not what they do (probably because of the sand).

Any worries that rents could get seriously jacked up if those US flights start coming in? Is buying property a possibility/option?

Not really, no. Americans have been flocking in from Arizona (and, to a lesser extent, from California) for decades. The flights will just make it easier for family and friends to visit.

I didn’t look too closely at it since we were only interested in renting, but from my understanding it’s still not advised, since Americans don’t own the land.

Is it a safe drive from the Tucson area? I’m interested in maybe spending some time down there.

@inactive_user, I got my Ponaris today. So much more sludge came out! Gross. But it made all the lesions feel much better. Doesn’t taste absolutely terrible, either. I am going in tomorrow and they are going to try and address my ongoing bleeding from where they removed some bones.

Hoping it goes well!

Good luck!

I dunno how much it’s affected you, but one thing my doc told me that helped a lot is that a surgery like I had doesn’t look like anything to other people, but it’s in fact a super invasive and rough thing to go through. That can be tough to square mentally sometimes. Just hearing that from the doc and being validated that yes, all these feelings and symptoms are real, made a real difference to me anyway.

@Hal9000 - Absolutely safe. It’s in the “hassle-free” zone, so no permit is needed. Half the time we don’t even get stopped at the border on the way in. The only thing you need to be mindful of is the change to the metric system as far as speed limits go. Sonoyta (the town at the border) is a particularly nasty speed trap.

The CRS on the metro shook me down for a bribe.
On my knees for the sergeant when my passport arrived.
Yeah, I’ll search the world over for my angel in black.
Yeah, search the world over for a Euro-trash Girl.

That record actually holds up all right.

Fight me.

This isn’t interesting so much as I just need to vent a little so this seemed like the best thread.

My wife’s dad passed away yesterday morning, after five+ years of living in a post-stroke, dementia-riddled haze. He hasn’t been particularly “there” for a few years, just sort of present when we have family get togethers, etc. He had a very long, full life, adventures in work and leisure, had kids, grandkids, and a life partner in my mother-in-law that was with him to the end. So no regrets for his life or experiences, though I do wish I would have had more time with him before he started fading, and that he was able to fully meet my 7 and 5yo daughters. He was a great role model, lived life to the fullest, and even managed to teach me how to change the brakes in my car.

My mother-in-law took care of him at home for as long as she could but eventually it was understandably too much. She found a recommended residential care home and he moved there several months ago. From everything I can see, they took good care of him there but time and infections caught up and he passed away comfortably while resting yesterday.

It was an emotional day but I’m currently fuming over the home owner’s callous statement to my mother-in-law that she owed an additional month’s payment for January, even though he had died literally less than an hour ago. I didn’t find out about this until later as I was in another room at that moment. I just can’t believe someone would be so low as to say that to a grieving widow. The owner has been very money-focused the entire few months that he was a resident there but this was just beyond anything remotely civil to me. We’re currently investigating the details of the contract that was signed to see if this is even true. Just really pissed off that it would come up like that, when he was barely cold on his bed. The monthly bill is pretty substantial so it’s not some sort of minor exit fee, or whatever else it might be called. Will know more as soon as we’re able to go through the contract and verify her demand.

You’re not wrong to be incensed. Fuck that guy.