Tell us what's happened to you recently (that's interesting)

It got up to 48 in the late afternoon, was low 40’s most of the day. And we got a lot of rain as well, which didn’t help. It’s supposed to rain again this afternoon, even. Lots of fun!

I just emailed my two senators about ending DST. It’s a start. I’m not sure how interesting that is, but I’m glad I finally did it.

Wow. Glad you caught that before it became a nightmare. On the plus side, that is a situation that definitely calls for making some paper boats! ;-)

Yeah, the melt is nuts here too. Luckily my “cross fingers” method of dealing with ice dams and runoff has worked out so far…

As long as you mean permanent daylight time, I’m for it. Otherwise, I’ll fight to the death!

It’s a fight to the death then. Remember, I didn’t ask for this fight. I am doing this for the children of the world, especially teenagers everywhere! (Teenage sleep deprivation is no joke, and has been shown to be linked the natural sleep cycle that puts teens about an hour behind everyone else).

Middle and high schools should have later start times.

That causes budget and/or scheduling problems for school districts, which ordinarily use the same buses for 2-3 age cohorts in sequence, unless you push the whole school day back.

I’m plenty sympathetic to that argument, but the health and happiness benefits of 1) a sunrise that doesn’t happen when the clock says 4 a.m. and 2) summer evenings which last until the clock says 9 p.m. instead of 8 p.m. are too great for me to ignore. The way I see it, there are two options:

1. Switch to permanent standard time, so we don’t need to reschedule school days but we do need to reschedule literally everything else to take proper advantage of the distribution of daylight.
  2. Switch to permanent daylight time, so all we need to reschedule are school days.

#2 just seems like a much smaller challenge to me.

Obviously the simplest solution is to stop the earth’s rotation so that it’s always day.

In wintertime, I often gripe that all I want is a place to live where the sun is up for 16 hours a day year-round, and is that so much to ask?

Sure, buy multi houses in multiple countries.

I’m all for permanent DST. My post started as a disagreement with lego but I left the part where I agreed with them.

Edit: It’s the one thing I agree with Rubio on, as a Florida resident. I hate 6:15PM sunsets. And I know it gets worse the farther north you go so it’s a little funny for me to complain about it.

No, those are the best. Then you can go inside and ignore the lawn that needs to be mowed.

Nah, they are the worst because you get out of work and it’s dark already and you realize you’ve barely seen the sun all day and you get depressed and SAD (the acronym, not just emphasizing).

Besides, the lawns don’t grow in the winter here anyways.

What kind of job has you in doors all day? It sounds like you need to change jobs.

True, but one possibility would be to swap elementary and secondary start times. In the large district where I used to work, secondary started at 8 and elementary at 9. Swapping those times seems like it could work if they really wanted to.

Me and like half of the workforce my man.

Most people work indoors all day.

Permanent DST would mean that sunset occurs after 5pm year round across the whole 48 United States. I’d much rather have sunlight after work than before, and artificial light after sunset has a much bigger disruptive effect on circadian rhythms than the time shift does. Combat teen sleep deprivation by taking away their screens and enforcing lights out, not by forcing the rest of us to endure dark late afternoons for half of the year.

I would kill for sunset at 6 in the winter.

Up here it gets dark before 4