Tempest open world pirate action rpg

Just curious, after encountering it at the end of the tutorial, do you ever get to see or fight that sea monster again? I made it past the tutorial a ways, but not much further, and that monster seemed pretty darned tough. Tough enough to warrant some kind of revenge quest once you’ve gotten some skill under your belt.

Absolutely. It’s part of the main quest line that you’ll undertake starting post-tutorial. First you travel around collecting some of your lost crewmen (whom you can slot into Sails, Guns, and Deck slots to provide nice bonuses) and eventually you are put on the track of said sea monster. It was a difficult fight (I was still using the Bark ship you’re given post-tutorial, though significantly upgraded) but winnable. There is a nice reward as well.

Later on there are different sea monsters that you can encounter either directly through quests (like the annoying giant crabs I mentioned in an earlier post) or randomly. It is amazing fun when a sea monster turns up in the middle of a pitched battle between you, some allies and a few enemy ships, as they seem to target ships at random, not just you. Make it out alive and the loot cleanup can be very lucrative.

Very nice! That does sound like fun, and I’m definitely planning on jumping back into it. Thanks!

so did Wumpus try this game and decide it was awesome?

The forum MMORPG is way more compelling. Always has been.

So it turns out the “endgame” for Tempest isn’t faction-related at all. After reaching max faction with the Seekers and performing both of the Ally quests (which were interesting at least), nothing happened. After some forum searching I discovered the way to “win” the game is to complete all 21 Legends quests. There are quests that you come across gradually in game, sometimes they start at a port, sometimes a marker pops up on the map, sometimes random things just happen to your ship and crew and a new quest pops up in your log.

The problem is, there doesn’t seem to be a way to get all these quests without just sailing all over the place hoping one pops up. They aren’t chained together, and a few of them are still supposedly very finicky (meaning they’re outright bugged). I have one right now, Blackbeard, where I am at the point in the quest chain where I am supposed to board one of the pirate ships and interrogate captured pirates…only I’ve boarded over a dozen Blackbeard encounter ships and the quest won’t progress. I’m not sure I have the patience required to see 21 of these quests through at this point.

Still, at over 40 hours played I’ve thoroughly enjoyed Tempest. If they ever release the next DLC they are developing I will probably purchase it and see what it offers.

In the meantime, I bought a couple of the Herocraft Bundles from Otakubundle so I could share the joy of Tempest. Have a free Steam code!

Tempest : 7MJLQ-0P20G-9P6$$ - Replace $$ with the first letters of the words Buffalo and Wings
Treasure Lands DLC : GRT34-02#EM-0##AE - Replace # with X
Soundtrack DLC : 6J46G-ADIWR-M93$$ - Replace $$ with the first letters of the words Light and Wave

Tempest : E6LL6-RTWZQ-CK7$$ - Replace $$ with first letters of King and Alpha
Treasure Lands DLC : FWY6G-I3NX#-05#7K - Replace # with the first character in QT3
Soundtrack DLC : HMRZH-GKD9M-3HE$$ - Replace $$ with the first letters of Low and Calorie

Please post if you snag a key, and come back and let us know what you think of the game. Happy Sailing!

Thanks for the writeups, @SlainteMhath. I already own the game but haven’t yet dipped into it. My backlog grew considerably over the holiday Steam sales.

That’s sad to hear about the end game. It certainly sounds like it’s not quite ready for prime time. I wonder if there is any chance they will patch a few of these bugs out?

“Be not afeard; the isle is full of noises,
Sounds, and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
Will hum about mine ears; and sometime voices,
That, if I then had waked after long sleep,
Will make me sleep again: and then, in dreaming,
The clouds methought would open, and show riches
Ready to drop upon me; that, when I waked,
I cried to dream again.”
― William Shakespeare, The Tempest

Thanks. Snagged the first grouping. I look forward to trying this out.

Looks like someone (not me) has grabbed the second set too.

Noted. If you’re still interested, the bundle that contains it is only $1.99 and runs through Jan. 6th. In the bundle you also get Strategy & Tactics : Dark Ages which I have quite enjoyed playing and Warhammer 40K : Space Wolf, with is also very worthwhile. It’s a steal for $2.

I’ve been eying the bundle. I’ve got a backlog beyond control but I do love a good pirate game, so purchased!

As a side note for anyone else considering it, if you use the coupon “winter2017” between now and January 6 you get another 15% off. That makes the price $1.69.

Well because the price was low and we’ve talked about it so much here, I bought it!

I’m in the tutorial, messing around with the camera controls.

If you go underwater, when you come back up, your screen is wet. Awesome!!!

This game is on the $1 tier for the new Humble Bundle for those interested

Well I refunded it.

Something didn’t quite click.

A shame because it looked like merchants and marauders: the video game.

OMG you guys, surprise DLC!

I guess amandachen did leave the forum entirely?

I guess so. That sucks.

Did anyone tag her in another thread? If she put this one on ignore then the tags here don’t show up as notifications for her.

Her account is live. Whether she’s still here or not is another story.