Temple of Elemental Evil

I remember when cRPGs used to come standard with a map. Man, can they get any cheaper… I mean, not like cost of goods has gone up sharply or something.

Every Bioware game i’ve bought has come with a map. {Except expansion packs}

It will be interesting to see how well a Turn-based RPG does commercially, especially in the current real time with pause enviroment.

The level cap isn’t restrictive - it’s pretty much what you hit if you do everything in the game.

Also, when you say it is true turn-based, does that mean it takes forever to walk down a hall way, or does it only go turn-based during encounters

It’s only turn-based during combat, like the Fallout games.

I’ve always been interested in this game but only recently have I started really digging into the information. All I can say is that I’m looking forward to this game now more than ever.

The one major complaint I’ve seen buzzing around the net is that it will just be a turn based Icewind Dale. Personally, I think it will display a little more depth than that, but overall that style of game would be perfect for me.

Not sure if there’s one specific reason for it, but I vastly preferred the Icewind Dale series to the Baldur’s Gate series. D&D is about combat with some roleplaying thrown in. Icewind Dale nailed that. Sounds like TOEE will as well.

It’s golden.

Steve Moret (Troika) on the demo

"The chat transcript with Tim cain said they were very close to finishing the demo. Anyone know how much of moathouse is in demo?

The demo should contain all of the moathouse and its associated levels/dungeons. You are given a 2nd level party and a little bit of backstory o­n why you are there and it ends when you reach the very bottom of the moathouse.

IIRC the party consists of a Monk, Fighter, Cleric, Bard, and Wizard. All the non moathouse maps have been stripped so there is no worldmap travel, all the spells should be there, all the monsters that don’t spawn o­n the moathouse or in the moathouse random encounter tables have been removed, all the non moathouse music has been removed, and the existing moathouse music has been recompressed (to make it smaller). Most of the movies have been recompressed to be smaller, and lots of the sounds (especially spell sounds) have been compressed to make them a lot smaller (at the expense of quality and a tad bit of performance the first time they are loaded).

The last time I measured it weighed in about 220meg, its mostly all the damn spells and spell effects, not to mention plenty of monster art.

Since the game has already begun it is not in ironman mode, you can save and load games and play the tutorial.

…You are for sure going to level up at the moathouse, and for those who want to keep leveling up you can just keep resting for very long periods of time and pulling new random encounters in."

lifted from http://www.eye-on-troika.net/

Silence is golden.

I read a post that said something about them handing the demo off to Atari today. What are the chances we’d see it by the end of the week?

olaf

Now this is one program I’d love to see spyware in – specifically, it’d be great if they could collect what percentage of players play in ironman mode.

I’d wager under 5%.

And all 5% would consist of Dave Long.

– Xaroc

There was a post today on the Atari boards saying that they havent sent the demo to Atari yet, but expected to in a day or two.

olaf

I hadn’t noticed that, but I hope you are right. I miss TB games. We need more true TB games out there. This one should fill it out nicely for me. With this, and Disgaea and FFT:A I am about to be in TBS heaven!!! Oh, if Warlords IV pans out, what’s higher than heaven?

A decent manual!?

“I just got a copy of the final manual, the o­ne that is shipping with the game. It is very nice and is spiral bound, so it lays flat. And it has a Table of Contents and an index!” - Tim Cain

…which unfortunately will be edited down into an unreadable matchbook-sized format for the UK release…

Yeah, but you guys get Prime Minister Question Time, so it all evens out… :)

And there was great rejoicing. Mainly because while I’ve bought the initial 3rd ed. books I never really read them, so I’m totally bonkered on whatever changes 3.5 has made.

That rocks. I read somewhere else thats its 176 pages too.

olaf

[quote=“Viridian”]

Yeah, but you guys get Prime Minister Question Time, so it all evens out… :)[/quote]

No we don’t. :(

An Index!!! in a CG manual! nooo you must be on some really good drugs…

Seriously,

Someone mentioned a multiplayer expansion? Any hard data on this? As a crusty member for Loyd Case’s multiplayer group that would be welcome news. Also I wouldn’t want to spoil the game by playing it through single player when with a little patience I could do it with my friends.

Cheers,
Ron

I don’t understand why people would want to multiplay a turn-based game, unless it was PBEM. Baldur’s Gate and such played in real-time for multiplayer, but ToEE wouldn’t be able to do that. It seems like it would be VERY slow to play it with friends.

no multiplayer, ever.