Temple of Elemental Evil

Yeah, and what side quests you end up seeing will be determined in part by party composition. So depending on your party you’ll see different things playing through the game.

The release date for this is now the 16th, instead of the 23rd. Yee!

olaf

Hot dog! Of course, with GoGamer it will probably be a little late… :roll:

Both EBs and Gogamer still list 9/23, though. And I planned on finishing up Tron 2.0 and Jedi Academy first, so in a weird way I hope it’s still the 23rd.

It’s been announced on almost every gaming site known and unknown to man, so I guess the 16th ship date is legit. It was to ship on my B’day. Does this mean I am going to be 34 on Tuesday now?

Yes, it was a last minute change. Games will be on shelves on the 16th. Looks like there will be a lot of folks scrambling to play through the game to review it.

But the game is really a lot of fun. I can’t stop playing it.

Yes, thanks to Atari’s overflow of mysticism in the sphere of entertainment distribution. Or something like that.

I’d love to recreate the actual party my friends and I used when we played through the module back in '85, but some of the characters were based on classes from Dragon Magazine articles (psionicist, duelist). Heh, that psionicist was mine and I insisted on using the class because I had just read the Sage of Pliocene Exile by Julian May. He ended up being a Half-elf, but the way my DM insisted on character generation die rolling I couldn’t get decent stats (or the stats I really wanted, to be honest) unless I took him through the first ed. aging process (nasty negatives to strength and constitution while your intelligence and wisdom shot through the roof). He ended up with a 6 strength, 17 intelligence, 18 wisdom, 17 or 18 charisma, and a comeliness of 21 (wasn’t comliness added in the Unearthed Arcana book?). And since he was venerable I had to create a backstory for his life, so he ended up living somewhere between Verbobonc and the Gnarley Forest (if memory serves. . .don’t even have my old Greyhawk stuff anymore) in a small manor house, having spent most of his life as a professor of Flanaess history at Greyhawk City University. He was named Garilonn Greenleaf, the first name in imitation of the May fictional characters (Nodonn, Minanonn, etc.), but became known as Garilonn Mindbender once he gained the rank/level of Paramount Grandmaster Psionicist. And I can’t believe I can remember that he was created on March 17th, 1985.

Whoa. :)

Heh, that nostalgia trip got me digging through high school and college papers/blue book exams and other stuff and I found Garilonn’s character sheet and the layout of his house on graph paper. Some of his magic items consisted of a helm of telepathy, a ring of mind shielding, a robe of stars, Hegemony (a sentient magical sword), and the Silver Torc of Khendja’aro (the latter being an invented elven house of Celene, the name sounding like it’s borrowed from Tad Williams’ Sithi), an item created through the psionic ability Power Transfer (probably from that Dragon article).

Also found some old Villains and Vigilantes characters. V&V was the only role-playing game I ever got my wife to play. Her character was Lady Adipose, a rather, umm, large woman of German descent who was employed during the day at the local chocolate factory and whose battle cry was, “I want my bonbons!”

16th, holy crap. Damn silly day to go on vacation (out of town that is).

— Alan

Alright, there were a bunch of old ToEE threads, and for no particular reason I chose this one to resurrect.

Anyway, Circle of Eight recently - “ten years to the day after the release of The Temple of Elemental Evil in North America,” apparently - released their final 8.0.0 version of their modpack. It’s not entirely final since an 8.0.1 hotfix has been released since, but I guess they’re finished with adding/changing stuff. So I’ve decided to play through the game once more with the expanded version of their patch, which adds new stuff (there’s also a basic version, which is more concerned with bugs and rules and such.) Here’s a link for anyone interested, just remember to get the 8.0.1 patch.

Also, I believe I read somewhere that a lot of Co8 people are now helping out Ted with his Keep on the Borderlands project, and that it’s coming along nicely.

Nothing to contribute, except that I love me some ToEE and I’m happy whenever I see a ToEE thread get bumped. I haven’t played Co8 since somewhere around version 7.something, but that was my 3rd complete play through with as many different parties, and I just love that I can still get into this game every now and then so deeply I lose myself for an entire week until I beat it again. I’m sure I’ll jump again yet again at some point, and it’s nice to know Co8 continues to improve, and is even “complete” finally!

Looks like a trip back to the World of Greyhawk is in the cards for me some time in the near future.

I had another playthrough of ToEE a few months ago. It always amazes me how developers never iterated on this excellent turn-based style of D&D videogaming. I mean, it really nails D&D, for me. A D&D videogame in which “initiative” and “flat footed” have actual implementation? Awesome! :)

I’ve always wondered if a turn-based D&D MMO would be possible. I think NWO and DDO are excellent in their own ways, but turn-based with all the intricacy that allows would be fantastic. It could be handled in a multiplayer context (i.e. grief-proofing) sort of analogously to the way BW handled grouped conversations in SWTOR.

I haven’t played this since it came out, but I own it as part of the D&D Anthology. Would you recommend a vanilla playthrough or with a mod? Did they ever fix the bugs?

The basic Co8 patch mentioned by Nikolaj is probably your best bet. Troika never really fixed the game and the Co8 patch adds back in stuff that was supposed to be part of the game but got pulled late due to a decision to change the game’s rating from M to T. So the basic Co8 patch is the closest thing to a fixed but vanilla version there is.

OK, Thanks. I do remember liking it.

Yea, I thought TOEE was great.

Reminds me; Maybe I should actually play through it now. Time to find the most recent CO8.

Amazing that games got released like this:

Set your video card to a 'no scaling' setting for video playback. This will make in-game videos play at their original resolution. Some systems experience game crashes when they try to scale ToEE's videos to fit the monitor.

Do not play at a resolution greater than 1680 x 1050. The highest resolution reliably supported by ToEE is 1680 x 1050.

Do not use quicksaves with ToEE. They corrupt easily. Instead, use an array of at least 5 regular saves while playing ToEE, overwriting each in turn. This practice should ensure that you have a good save to go back to if one becomes corrupt.

Do not save during combat. This also runs a greater risk of save corruption.

Do not play in Ironman mode. Save corruption is a fact of life with ToEE, and if your Ironman save becomes corrupt, you're finished. If you want an Ironman-style game, it's best to simply play Ironman-style in a regular game.

Do not use autosave on map change with ToEE. Using this feature will break certain scripts in ToEE. It is set to 'off' by default in the Co8 modpack.

Do not put an NPC in the left-most position in the party queue along the bottom of the screen. This can cause a variety of problems, such as quests not updating properly or even appearing in your logbook at all.

Do not use Scather or Fragarach in the Fire Node or the Fire Temple. You will likely experience the endless AoO loop, and you will be very sad.

Thats after the CO8 fixes…

After the praise from BleedTheFreak I decided to install this and apply the Co8 patch. So far:

1. Walk into town and talk to a couple people
  2. Guy needs spiders killed in grove. No problem, this is the first town.
  3. Die repeatedly trying to kill spiders.
  4. Go Watch TV with wife.

I killed a rat in the tutorial. It was a big rat too.