Temple of Elemental Evil

So cool! Great story. Somewhere here is my story about beating Steve Jackson at Ogre when he was at a con.

Is there a recommended party size for this game? Co8 seems to bump it up to 8 but like in BG the XP seems to be shared which means that a smaller party might level faster. I’m leaning towards 5 or 6, actually ran a party of 5 in BG2 last time when I did an evil run and it felt perfect.

Also, I’d appreciate any tips regarding which utility skills and classes are worth picking. Ideally I’d like to have a face char (maybe PC), thief, full time healer, mage and physical DD/tank.

5 OR 6. Remember, this is hybrid 3.0/3.5 rules, so caster reign supreme, and multiclassing can solve a lot of issues. Last time I played I went elf wizard archer/caster, elf cleric/wizard/mystic theurge archer/caster , cleric front-line fighter, druid front line fighter, barbarian/monk/rogue front-line fighter face, ranger/wizard/eldritch knight archer.

edit - also, super important to remember that, unlike core 3.5 rules, reach weapons can attack opponents at close and reach range. Originally, only spiked chains could do that. Or, to put it another way, reach weapons are far more powerful and spiked chains are practically useless. I went reach weapons on all of my front-line fighters, along with improved trip and combat reflexes. Tripping on opportunity attacks is awesome.

Bat I know this sounds cray but I played with three…It was fun and difficult. Ultimately however it scaled well with 3. Fighter barbarian and I think rogue. It was a few years ago. Finished that game with three and had a great time.

It doesn’t sound crazy at all - my only worry is that you hit the XP cap way before the end this way and all the extra XP goes to waste while your group slowly loses relative power that a larger party would have towards the end of the game. Please correct me if I’m wrong, cause I’d love to be - whether due to the game’s innate mechanics or one of the mods that raise/remove the XP limit. Because I’d absolutely love to play with a small party :).

edit: And thanks @malichai11 for that information, very useful!

Oh, the other important thing is that by having 5 casters in your party you get to spread out the XP hit from item creation. And you will do a LOT of magic item creation.

I am not sure. My 3 were pretty majestic at the end but I am not quite sure if they hit the level cap. Don’t forget concentration of magic items vis a vis relative power.

This makes me want to try my two druid four monk party again (the monks were all females, and all modeled after famous Slayers. The druids existed to craft amulets of mighty fists for the monks, and do chores).

Ultimately it is how the magic items /exp gain is made – if 3 can get more … well they can core up. Temple is a great game (aside from that terrible first chapter of fetch quests).