Old World (pka Ten Crowns) from Soren Johnson

Ah, that’s a pity. I was hoping for something more along King of Dragon Pass, but tiles it is, I guess.

Ah, oops. No it didn’t warn me that the link was in the thread.

Does Discourse no longer warn you when you’re posting a link that it’s already been posted in the thread? Or does that fail for links in the OP or something?

;)

They’re technically different links.

@wumpus General URL canonicalization is probably a fool’s errand, but have you considered having the duplicate detector ignore the fragment identifier?

There are probably a bunch of common query params (UTMs, etc) that could safely be ignored if they aren’t already.

If it’s anywhere near as clever as Offworld, it should be a great game. looking forward to more details

So what exactly do we know about Ten Crowns so far?

• Turn based Strategy
  • Hexes
  • World History

and that’s all I could scrub lol.

Multiplayer. (Which I don’t take as a positive sign, but we’ll see what they can do with it).

I’d agree that Paradox’s grand strategy titles are enjoyable, and I never really feel like I’ve won any of them. That said, I feel like these games do have a form of victory conditions in their achievements. The interesting ones will often provide me with a nice end goal to work for, and I can even tailor my difficulty by choosing which achievement (victory) I’d like to go after rather than just having a handicap that slides up and down.

I guess, the link was

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/04/06/soren-johnson-4x-strategy-interview/#more-532629

Mayyyybe removing anything at the end starting with a pound symbol would be safe? I’m unsure.

Theoretically the page could read the fragment id with javascript, and render totally differently based on that. But it’s safe in that this is just a courtesy notice to the user that the link was already posted. If they disagree, they’re free to ignore it.

As in that’s the only way to play, that’s the focus, or it has it?

The focus is single-player, but we start with MP because it’s easier to test (don’t need an AI!) and ensures that all of the gameplay code is written to working in MP (which is obviously harder than making it work in SP). Did the same thing with Civ 4 and Offworld. (Learned this lesson from Civ 3: Play the World, if anyone remembers that fiasco.)

I love all of this.

Also the Civ5 fiasco.

Multiplayer is really good at stress testing the underlying game design/systems as well. Human players tend to figure out how to break systems (and what systems are nonfunctional/ignorable) pretty well.

Makes a ton of sense. I’m pretty excited to see what gets cooked up.

Agreed, definitely the best way to go about things. With the caveat that you need enough experience in AI and game design to be able to design a game that you will be able to code a solid AI for. Not likely to be a problem for Soren. :)

Any rough idea of the schedule? Open or closed Beta?

Has anyone heard any news on this since the announcement? Really looking forward to his.

We’ve got a tiny private beta going for the game now, but we still have a long way to go…