Ten most overlooked games of 2018

These are some great games you probably didn’t play this year! Which is a shame, because frankly, they should be on more top ten lists. Unfortunately, mine ran out of space, so I’m putting them here.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2018/12/28/ten-most-overlooked-games-of-2018/

Dead Cells is peeking out at the top!

I own 7 outta 10 on this list, hence I have not overlooked them!

Have you played them though?

I have played 5 of the 7 that I own! ;)

Iconoclasts is a very good story/puzzle driven Metroidvania that seems to have gotten overshadowed by other games this year.

For the King is my game of the year, Star Traders is easily in my top 5. It’s worth mentioning that both are enormous labors of love for their developers, and have been receiving incredibly generous post-release support as a result. Star Traders seems to get new stuff weekly, and For the King has gotten several expansion packs worth of content for free. And they’re both less than $20 for an enormous amount of gameplay, too!

Most of the others here look great too and I’ve already picked up several, though I’m steering well clear of Kingdom Come given the developer’s vocal racism and sexism. It’s a shame, too, since it seems like something I’d otherwise like.

Northgard and Kingdom Come: Deliverance seem out of place on the list. They’ve both sold very well (>500k and ~2M, respecively), and have pretty active discussion threads here. And Star Traders doesn’t belong on this list because it’s a bad game that didn’t deserve any of the attention it got :-P

But The Colonists looks interesting, I hadn’t heard of it at all before. Looks like Tom streamed it a few days ago:

Book of Demons, Northgard, Kingdom Come : Deliverance and For The King all make my personal Top 10 list for 2018…so I would dispute their “overlooked” status. On the other hand, I am pleased to see them getting the attention they all deserve via this list, so we’ll call it even. ;-)

Maybe it’s just me, but I’m tired of the latest Call of Duty, Assassin’s Creed, Tomb Raider, insert AAA Franchise Title game automatically making everyone’s Game of the Year lists just because they showed up to the party (this is NOT directed at Tom, but the media in general). While I do enjoy all those games, many times they don’t bring anything all that unique and different to the table, whereas stuff like Book of Demons and For The King are so different from anything else out there, and with fantastic production values as well, that they deserve recognition.

I’ve enjoyed three of these (For the King, Book of Demons, Northgard) and have one other (Kingdom Come Deliverance) that I plan on playing early in 2019. The Colonists looks promising so i think I’ll have to get that at some point.

What?

Looking briefly at that stream of The Colonists, it looks like the game automatically pauses while you are building? If so, I will be overjoyed. Can someone confirm that the Colonists does in fact allow you to build and get info from the buildings while paused?

Wait, the Colonists isn’t Early Access?? Why the heck did I think it was?

I could easily put Thronebreaker on this list. With the late Steam launch, getting squeezed between AAA releases, and the confusion over the f2p Gwent game and Thronebreaker, the game seems to have been a flop for initial sales. It’s a shame because the game is a really terrific version of Gwent with a good 2D map RPG.

He’s a very avid “Gamergate” supporter, unfortunately.

As much as I love The Witcher, and the fact that this may have been the perfect game for my underpowered laptop, I just couldn’t shell out $30 for Gwent. I mean, I know it is more than Gwent, and they improved upon the game play, but that was a hurdle for me.

I’ll give you the 30 dollars to buy it if you give me the 30 hours I need to play it.

So he’s guilty by association? Like the other 95% of ‘GG’ who got lumped together with the actual racists and sexists, simply because they did not fully conform with the idiotic views of the fringe radical left?

I followed the topic somewhat closely for a while and Vavra came across as someone distinctly anti-political correctness and anti-SJW but that hardly makes him a racist or a sexist. If there are indeed tweets or other posts where he clearly expresses such sentiments then fair game, he’s indeed an asshole. Maybe @Paul_cze can shed some light on this, I know he follows eastern european devs closely.

But I can tell you from first hand experience of me frequenting NeoGAF before the showergate and the subsequent implosion how often completely neutral or even (relatively far) left leaning people and posts got branded as Gamergate material (and how many people refused to participate in topics that were even remotely political, out of sheer fear of getting banned) because they did not fully subscribe to the ideas of the radical left. I can see how an outside observer could form an opinion based on second hand information but that alone is not enough to brand someone a sexist or racist. Which is something that a lot of people seem to have done and I hear it’s one of the most popular activities on ResetEra.

Oh no.

Wow. Well, no need to say anything more here, clearly.