Tennessee county wants to charge gays with crimes

… against nature! Yeehaw!

The county that was the site of the Scopes “Monkey Trial” over the teaching of evolution is asking lawmakers to amend state law so the county can charge homosexuals with crimes against nature.

The Rhea County commissioners approved the request 8-0 Tuesday.

Commissioner J.C. Fugate, who introduced the measure, also asked the county attorney to find a way to enact an ordinance banning homosexuals from living in the county.

"We need to keep them out of here," Fugate said.

I’m about ready to give up mah Southern citizenship and become a damn yankee. These folks are the very definition of “Idjit.” (And I haven’t even mentioned the evolution trial!)

I’m sho glad I’m straight, so’s I kin visit dat county!

You can’t be correct - XPav said that gays have nothing to worry about laws like this, and gay marriage is the only thing important now.

Except that this is not a current law, and to state as your primary purpose to fight crackpot amendments like these is to breed inaction, when the most logical step is to be progressive, and demand true equality in word and spirit under the law.

Amen, brother!

Why are you amenning, Philomath? You’ve stated that you don’t think seeking true equality in the eyes of the law is in any way important for gays. Remember? You said it repeatedly in the gay marriage threads, when you disclaimed gay marriage as a meaningless red herring, and stated that your number one priority was being able to fuck publically in parks. This was before you educated us on the deeply held christian beliefs of our founders, by claiming you could provide dozens of quotes where they stated their intention to found a christian nation, and then failing to provide any.

Don’t be an idiot. I said that most gays I know don’t have any interest in the word marriage, as opposed to civil unions for instance. I do think not getting arrested in bath houses or parks is a bigger issue to most gays, than using a word that has meaning to Christians. I thought Anders’ reply was great, even though he posted it to respond to my post.

Then most gays you know don’t have an interest in full and equal treatment in the eyes of the law, preferring to settle for a “seperate but equal” system. So, I ask again - why the amen?

Because I believe in full and equal treatment in the eyes of the law.

That’s obviously qualified by materiality, and I don’t think the use of a word matters, as long as people aren’t denied the underlying rights. I’m sure some gays also want to use the word marriage instead of civil unions, but I don’t think that’s the case for most of us. It’s an immaterial point.

I said that most gays I know don’t have any interest in the word marriage

It’s entirely possible the group you know isn’t representative.

As to not getting arrested in bath houses or parks - maybe those aren’t representative either. Call me crazy, but I’m 100% sure going at it in public places isn’t very high on the local Seattle gay community’s list of priorities.

Yes. But I think it’s more likely that the crazies who jump and protest all the time aren’t representative.

[quote=“Philomath”]

Yes. But I think it’s more likely that the crazies who jump and protest all the time aren’t representative.[/quote]

What planet are you living on? I will agree that in general, any protest is going to attract quite a few people that just enjoy protesting, and I’ll even agree that most gay people don’t want to go out and protest for pretty much anything. But, the ideas they are using are of general consensus in the gay community. You are in the far minority of homosexuals in the USA. Your opinion still matters, but your position can be entirely realized through simple inactivity. So, you are pointlessly bitching over other people wanting rights they don’t have. This makes you no different than people like Strom Thurmond.

In conclusion, get bent. Again. Then try to drown yourself in the shower.

Yes and yes and no. I am quite happy with gays fighting for the right to pair up and call themselves married (as long as no one requires churches to marry them, which I don’t think the majority of protestors are saying). I’m happy if they don’t want to get married but like being crazy left-wing protestors. Good for them. Good old USA. All good.

But I’ll continue to be cynical when I see straight people, or any one, adopt causes that I don’t believe they actually give a shit about solely for political reasons, and I’ll be condescending when they tell me that they’re more in touch with the gay community than I am.

Yes and yes and no. I am quite happy with gays fighting for the right to pair up and call themselves married (as long as no one requires churches to marry them, which I don’t think the majority of protestors are saying). I’m happy if they don’t want to get married but like being crazy left-wing protestors. Good for them. Good old USA. All good.

But I’ll continue to be cynical when I see straight people, or any one, adopt causes that I don’t believe they actually give a shit about solely for political reasons, and I’ll be condescending when they tell me that they’re more in touch with the gay community than I am.[/quote]

You’re an idiot. Most politicians aren’t touching this issue with a ten foot pole. The very few that are most definitely believe they are doing what is right. Else, why rock the boat? Take a good look at Newsom, he is not playing to his choir because he didn’t get the gay vote. You trivialize and marginalize viewpoints that you don’t happen to agree with. You demonize those people that have those viewpoints and poison the well by saying they don’t ACTUALLY believe anything they are saying.

As I said before, and will say again, you’re a fucking retard. Go crawl back into your hole and stop making things difficult for people fighting for your equality.

Nasty nasty. We agree on this point: no politician would take this view unless they think it is right, since it is unpopular. Or just want attention, I guess, but give them benefit of the doubt.

You demonize those people that have those viewpoints and poison the well by saying they don’t ACTUALLY believe anything they are saying. As I said before, and will say again, you’re a fucking hero. Go crawl back into your beautiful home and stop making things difficult for people fighting for your equality.

Fuck you very much, fight the power, and go get me some rights. I’ll give you a big kiss for it. I don’t know you at all, never seen a post from you, so maybe you’re not a hypocrite cringing at that last sentence because you really think gays are yucky. You certainly sound like a sincere asshole.

I’m not demonizing any one, or discouraging anyone from fighting for rights for any one. How can that be bad? I just don’t think the use of the word marriage is meaningful to most gays (the underlying rights of marriage are a different story), and I’m cynical about the motivations of some crusaders (not politicians), when I think there’s more important issues in the same vein, like not making it illegal to fuck whoever you want.

http://www.quartertothree.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8976

I’m not demonizing any one, or discouraging anyone from fighting for rights for any one. How can that be bad? I just don’t think the use of the word marriage is meaningful to most gays

Right here is where you fall down your well of stupidity. You are more or less alone. I’ve never met anyone in your position that agrees with you. Ever.

(the underlying rights of marriage are a different story),

Seperate is never equal.

and I’m cynical about the motivations of some crusaders

Yes because crusading for gay rights wins SUCH ENORMOUS POPULARITY. I mean just yesterday I told a friend I was gay, and instead of walking off and never talking to me ever again, passing around letters to my office saying that I rape children, and making key marks on my car to make me feel unwelcome, he went and got me a big friendship basket and then gave me a big hug!

This is how the world works, don’t you know. All those civil rights crusaders in the 60’s were ATTENTION WHORES, I mean… why the hell would they fight for such things??? Rosa Parks, drama queen!

(not politicians), when I think there’s more important issues in the same vein, like not making it illegal to fuck whoever you want.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST IN BASKET. Where have you been for the last 50 years? The Supreme Court has already invalidated sodomy laws. There is no law on the books that could possibly get you in trouble for having homosexual sex. Not one. It is illegal to enforce such laws within the united states. We’ve won. Not that it was ever a REAL fight, but we won it anyway!

Well, none of the gays I know would feel comfortable posting their personal life story to a gaming message board. You win: we hang out in different circles.

Seperate is never equal.

You’re separate because you can’t go to the woman’s room. I don’t feel that’s a meaningful “separation”, because I go to the boy’s room instead. I don’t think calling a union between gays a civil union or a marriage matters. I also don’t mind, or care (but I respect), that you feel differently. I am a Christian, and I don’t mind that Christians feel that a relationship between a man and a woman is given a special name.

One thing I hate, brother, is when people tell us that we’re equal “because we can marry someone of the opposite sex too”. Fuck those jackasses, who clearly don’t understand what being gay ia about.

I mean just yesterday I told a friend I was gay, and instead of walking off and never talking to me ever again, passing around letters to my office saying that I rape children, and making key marks on my car to make me feel unwelcome,

Have people done those things to you? There’s a lot of assholes in the world. If you actually want to compare notes, PM me, but I’m not going to post personal shit here.

You’re badly misreading me if you think I’m against civil rights. But I don’t think that everyone who argues for particular rights actually cares about those rights, especially when it comes to something as sensitive as sexuality. But fighting for me, even if it’s for the wrong motives, is fine with me. I’m just cynical about it.

It is illegal to enforce such laws within the united states. We’ve won. Not that it was ever a REAL fight, but we won it anyway!

Xpav pointed that out to me, and I appreciated it. I didn’t realize the ruling was as big as that. It probably wasn’t a real fight, in that the chances of going to jail were slim, but having those laws on the books was a lot more meaningful to me than anything else. Ever.

You’re separate because you can’t go to the woman’s room. I don’t feel that’s a meaningful “separation”, because I go to the boy’s room instead. I don’t think calling a union between gays a civil union or a marriage matters. I also don’t mind, or care (but I respect), that you feel differently. I am a Christian, and I don’t mind that Christians feel that a relationship between a man and a woman is given a special name.

One thing I hate, brother, is when people tell us that we’re equal “because we can marry someone of the opposite sex too”. Fuck those jackasses, who clearly don’t understand what being gay ia about.

Don’t you see a bit of contradiction between these two paragraphs, Philo?

No. They both discriminate because of biology, but the first example is has an inconsequential effect and is probably needed to reasonably protect the rights of other people who care about these things (gays don’t: bathrooms in gay bars are unisex, generally), while the second denies me significant rights and misunderstands, deliberately, human nature.

Edit: just rereading: in the second example I meant people were using that excuse to deny us the civil rights associated with marriage, not the use of the name, which probably wasn’t clear.

. But I don’t think that everyone who argues for particular rights actually cares about those rights, especially when it comes to something as sensitive as sexuality. But fighting for me, even if it’s for the wrong motives, is fine with me. I’m just cynical about it.

And this is no different than chastising them for doing it.

What you need to do is shut your stupid pie-hole. You aren’t psychic. Don’t claim to know or even guess at the motivations of others. Doing so makes you a jackass.