Terminator 3 do over?

So maybe I’m behind the times on this, but apparently James Cameron is working on a new Terminator movie:

I realize this article is mostly about Mackenzie Davis signing on, but I also find it interesting that Cameron is considering this a direct sequel to T2, since he was not involved in the other sequels, hence the thread title. Also that Schwarzenegger and Linda Hamilton are expected to appear. Sounds kind of wild. And a little geriatric.

I thought James Cameron wasn’t going to work on anything else until his thousands of Avatar sequels were done?

I know this is not a widely held reaction, but T3 wasn’t a bad movie, nor was it a poor Terminator movie. I really liked the ending.

I mean, it wasn’t a great Terminator movie. Nothing compared to Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles on TV, which despite its terrible name was truly special. But it wasn’t stinkin’ garbage either.

This was my reaction as well. Not comparable to T1 and T2 but a decent movie with a pretty good ending.

I also really liked T3. :)

I am ok with another Terminator move, just to see what Cameron will do with it.

I barely remember T3, think I caught it on late night cable. I mean I know what happened, who the characters were, but not much in the way of details. So I’d say I didn’t hate it, just didn’t make much impression I guess.

Some interesting info about the writer’s room surfaced a while back, discussed in the Genisys thread: Terminator: Genisys - Arnie, Khaleesi, Jai, and T-1000

[quote=“stusser, post:3, topic:134307, full:true”]
I know this is not a widely held reaction, but T3 wasn’t a bad movie, nor was it a poor Terminator movie. I really liked the ending.[/quote]

I thought exactly the same thing. Good movie, really good ending (subverted the “stop armageddon” trope pretty well).

I thought the hot terminator woman was a bit weak, but I think that was more the actress than the idea.

I feel like it was only not a bad movie because so many other sci-fi sequels were so, so terribly awful that just awful puts it in a not bad category instead of the disaster of all the other remarks and sequels from that time frame.

My main problem with T3 was just that I never felt excitement. I agree that it had a good ending, and that’s about the only thing I remember about it. But unlike the action scenes in T1 and T2, and I just didn’t feel the adrenaline flow while watching T3.

The inflating boobs really annoyed me.

A shame they didn’t leave this scene in.

OMG it is a butchery that wasn’t in the threatical cut. So meta.

This sounds like he’s just overseeing the project. Tim Miller is directing. I doubt he has much direct involvement because of the Avatar movies.

An Avatar-Terminator crossover film might be nice.

Also, does Mackenzie Davis have a lazy eye/nearsighted? In several photos it looks like she can’t focus on the same point with both eyes.

Really? I enjoyed that chase scene in the beginning and the T1 versus lady T fight.

I thought it was a pretty good flick. I really hold the first film in high regard but the second one was a SLIGHT disappointment what with Arnie now a good guy (though Robert Patrick was awesome) and that annoying kid in tow. To me, 3 wasn’t THAT much of a drop in quality.

Yeah, action scenes are a tricky thing. You have to bring in the audience and make them feel a real sense of danger, or make them really care about the principals involved, or maybe sometimes just inject a sense of fun in the action scene so that the viewer doesn’t care whether or not the people involved are really in danger, since they’re in for a fun ride either way. For me, the first two Terminator movies really managed to make me care about the people being chased, and gave me a real sense of danger.

In T3, I just never felt that. But at the same time, I also didn’t feel that sense of fun in the action scenes either. So I was just waiting for them to be over so that they could get on with the story. But then the story wasn’t all that good either. So I just ended up being bored.

The best trick that Terminator Salvation pulled off was that I cared about the main character thanks to the opening scene. Having a person be on death row, and to come back from that, it just made me him a compelling protagonist. Later in the movie, they instead started focusing on John Conner, which was idiotic, and the movie lost me. But T3 never really had anything like that to pull me in. Just bam, here’s John Connor, you’re supposed to care about him because of previous history and here we go. I guess that worked for some people, and I wish it had worked on me.

He actually has a great deal of direct involvement - he’s just not directing, but he’s involved in the story and production and considers it ‘his sequel’

Man, that deleted scene in T3 is great. T3 was passable, light entertainment, but even though the subsequent movies were much worse, I still would prefer it hadn’t been made, and it isn’t comparable in quality to the first 2 movies.

T2 was the last film of James Cameron’s that I enjoyed.

True Lies was OK, I guess? I only watched it the one time in '94.

I wonder if he has anything left in the tank. I couldn’t be less interested in the Avatar sequels.

Agreed.