Terminator 3 do over?

You shut your mouth! True Lies was, and still is, a great movie.

I’m with you on the Avatar sequels though. That’s just not a universe I feel like I need to explore. Am I missing something? Do kids really want to see more Avatar?

Hell if I know. Barely anyone even remembers the movie now. The only time I hear Avatar referenced is when people remember they are making sequels, and wondering why.

LIKE BUTTON NEEDED

Avatar was terrible. It was just about made tolerable by being the first modern movie to use 3D effectively, but as a movie it sucked in almost every way. And soooo long.

Seems like the only time I hear Avatar referenced, is when people say “hey, remember when 3D was a thing?”

It was a ripoff of The Menagerie.

It’s a shame it was essentially the only 3D movie that came out, other than that Resident Evil movie. The post-processed crap that gets added on to everything is just annoying.

Most CGI animations too.

Well Scorsese gave it a decent go with Hugo and Ang Lee with Life of Pi. But otherwise I agree, 90% cash-in post-production stuff that undermined the platform.

Alright Relayer, you made me curious enough to watch the movie a second time. It’s being added to Netflix Instant Watch on April 1st, so I’ll check it out again. It’s a shame it won’t have that Sergent Candy scene though.

This is the most complicated sentence that has ever been written in English. Can you imagine a first year ESL student trying to parse this thing? Lol.

Perhaps the tortured logic of the Terminator series (which I still enjoy) calls for tortured English (which I still agree with), lol

Terminator 3’s ending is possibly the best thing out of the Terminator franchise. I loved the way the downer ending subverted the “no fate but what we make” mantra while jamming the timeline back on track after the real world passed Judgment Day by. The T1’s heroism is only possible with the final betrayal.

Unfortunately, there’s a lot of bad that negates the good. There’s way too many jokes and a lot of them don’t even make sense in the context of the franchise like the infamous breast inflation bit or the loud clownish BOING effect when a truck hits an inflatable yard toy. These jokes frequently undercut the tension in the action scenes. Loken was not at all threatening, and Nick Stahl’s acting was hampered by his substance abuse issues. Claire Danes gives it a go, but I think she was miscast. The plot suffered from the many script rewrites and the film’s long stint in development hell. Mostow’s directing is inconsistent and hesitant, which is common when a star vastly outweighs the director in terms of production power.

It’s certainly not the worst Terminator movie, but coming after T2, it’s a real disappointment.

Well, it was the worst at the time. Now that Terminator: Genysis exists, that’s a really low bar.

I thought Danes was miscast so much as instead her role was severely underwritten. She’s introduced as a vet because Mr. Off The Grid wanted some Off The Grid pet painkillers that she had. But after their “meet cute”, she’s at best treated like a damsel in distress. In contrast, the veterinarians that I knew were much cockier. Their attitude was more like, “fff, surgeons. They only operate on one species.” I wished Danes had shown some of that spunk in her character.

But then, I haven’t seen T3 since it was new to DVD. I might be misremembering. I had mostly dismissed it as not surpassing its prime motivation of brainlessly and artlessly cashing in on its popular IP. This is compared to the fourth, postapocalyptic one, which had a broader scope but was just as mercenary in cashing in on the Terminator brand name. The fifth one felt like a needlessly complicated fanfic. It didn’t want to exactly tread in its predecessors’ bootprints, but it was happy to spend its time capering just to the left and right of them. I appreciate that while the third, fourth and fifth movies were bad, they were all bad in unique ways.

Acknowledgment to the works of Harlan Ellison.

What about the one with Christian Bale? The buzz on that one was so awful that I never bothered to try watching it. And I was so excited when I heard he was going to play John Connor, too. Also, I read a post mortem at one point that made it sound like the script doctors ruined a perfectly serviceable story and warped it into something that made no sense.

I liked that one, better than T3 at least. I even liked what’s-his-name, Avatar guy in that one.

T1
T2
Sarah Connor Chronicles
T3

Everything else is complete shit I regret ever seeing or existing.

Same here. I won’t deny that the story went kind of bonkers at the end, but just on the basis of the first half of the movie, Terminator Salvation is way better than T3 in my book.

No, that’s Terminator: Salvation that has Christian Bale and more importantly, Sam Worthington as the hero. Only the last half of the movie kind of changes. But ignore that, the first half of the movie is totally worth it.

As far as Terminator: Genysis, no that’s the piece of shit movie with Jai Courtney as John Connor. He’s the guy who played John Mclane’s son in A Good Day to Die Hard.

Someone keeps trying to make Jai Courtney happen, and he’s terrible in everything. I wish they’d stop.