Terminator: Dark Fate

At least there’s some vestige of hope, unless Genysys and the one with the robot John Connor.

Why is there some vestige of hope? Because Deadpool was good? I don’t think Cameron producing means anything, unfortunately.

+100

I love that Arnie himself dropped the trailer on reddit and is talking to people there

But the trailer itself is very underwhelming. Looks like another generic CGIfest with none of the atmosphere/style of first two films.

But…I am perfectly willing to be pleasantly surprised by the film itself. I love Tim Miller’s work (Deadpool and his Blur trailers). We’ll see.

Old Sarah with a bazooka was pretty neat. Vestige of hope comes from Cameron producing and pretending everything after T2 never happened, yes.

Does this include everything Cameron did after T2 too? Because otherwise I’m not seeing any basis for hope.

C’mon. True Lies was great.

Honestly I think everything Cameron has done has been at least very good. Avatar was schlocky but I appreciated what it did. Same for Titanic.

It’s why I’m so torn about the Avatar sequels. They sound so dumb to me and I don’t know anyone who is asking for them, but betting against Cameron is a bad idea historically.

Avatar and Titanic are both in my most hated movies.

You are weird.

I mean I don’t love them as much as T2/Aliens/Abyss/True Lies either, but hate? Not at all, they are still very well done films from most perspectives.

Avatar only is remembered due to the 3D aspect. It is an otherwise forgettable, rote, poorly acted rehash. But visually it did wonders.

I wonder if they’ve upgraded their hair from USB to bluetooth

It was fun but forgettable, except that they get their fuck on via prehensile tails.

Yeah, I won’t deny that Avatar is a visual spectacle, but it has one of the worst, most turgid stories I’ve ever had to sit through. Titanic equally takes something that you’d think would be pretty dramatic and makes it both boring for most of its absurdly excessive length, and hackneyed.

I’m pleased to say that to this day I have not seen Titanic!

So wait, Arnold ends up in a cabin in the woods?

He rides north from the wall into a snowy forest and ends his days as a lumberjack living in a remote cabin.

Weekend At Arnie’s!

The impromptu AMA on Reddit was fun to read. For example:

That was pretty awesome.
I don’t know if I can love Terminator again, but I hope the new film defies my lowered expectations.

The song in the trailer was pretty good but the movie HAS TO incorporate the old orchestral theme in there somehow. It’s just not Terminator without the theme.

I guess I’m the odd weirdo that actually has liked all of the Terminator films, including T3 and Salvation. I even enjoyed watching Genisys, though it was a trifle. (Here’s a poll: which is better, Genisys or Venom? They feel like the same movie to me.) And SCC was some of the best sci-fi television of all time. There’s no chance I won’t see this new film. I think Sarah Conner done properly (i.e. the Linda Hamilton/Lena Heady way) is one of the most compelling action heroes in all of cinema. It’s hard to appreciate the heel turn for her character between T1 and T2 now, because we know what happened. But, that’s a character who lives the consequences of her story and is changed dramatically by it. She’s not a superhero or supersoldier. She’s singleminded and ruthless because she has to be. I’m really looking forward to seeing Linda Hamilton in that role again.

I actually enjoyed that trailer quite a bit. Color me easy to impress, but it looked like a lot of fun.