Terminator: Resistance - FPS, particles, lens flares

I saw that claim rebuffed on another forum, saying that CyClones was the real first. I looked it up and… games sure were ugly back then :)

Cyclones is a little different, sort of between standard modern FPS controls and what Looking Glass was doing with Terra Nova and System Shock as the cursor moved inside of the screen and if you got to the edge it would shift it.

Ah, interesting. I guess there were a lot of ways that could have unfolded, besides pure WADS/mouse.

(haven’t seen it myself, want to go in blind)

Future Shock blew my mind when I first installed it back in the day. I thought it nailed the atmosphere, and the gameplay had me on the edge of my chair.

Reinstalled it on that same 486 just a few years ago, and it surprisingly held up pretty well, although I didn’t remember it being so damn difficult. But I’m getting older, and I think shooters have gotten a lot easier since 1995. Or I might have just been willing to put up with a lot more difficulty back then. Or I may have actually enjoyed difficult gameplay back then. :)

I think someone else said this but it does somehow remind me of Homefront Revolution. Semi open rubble levels perhaps.

Tom said the same, and I can see it too a little in the set pieces that I have seen so far.

While Metacritic has not been kind, reviews on Steam are “Very Positive” at 88%, so who knows?

I do hope this is good.

Interesting, the number of Steam reviews have doubled and the game is still at 87%. In addition, Metacrtic users rate the game at 80%. Seems people like it better than professional reviewers do.

I am genuinely fascinated by how this game is reviewing/being received.

The dissonance between critical consensus and steam reviews is larger than pretty much any game that I’ve seen, certainly for a licensed title.

The review balance for the publisher and developers previous titles is pretty much universally Mixed on Steam as well, so it’s not like they’re hidden gem factories with a loyal fan-base?

Why is this game getting better user reviews that pretty much any current FPS?

I like the IGN review - “adequate enough”.

Giant Bomb streamed the game on their Friday show and the game looks like it’s definitely going for a Far Cry/Metro hybrid. Voice Acting wasn’t great, and the asset quality wasn’t top tier, but it seems like a quantum leap for these devs.

Eurogamer said it was great for film buffs, but otherwise a boring ride.

I’m quite tempted but Halo Reach is coming to GamePass soon, so that might scratch the SFFPS itch.

gry-online review, score 7.5:

(google translate)

Studio Teyon dusted away after the hopeless Rambo: The Video Game. Their Terminator: Resistance is not only a “pretty good title”, but also the best production to date with Skynet machines in the lead roles. The game has a chance to appeal not only to fans of the brand, but simply to fans of shooters. It is worth giving her (and thus also the creators) a credit of trust. In turn, for lovers of the original film (there are still some here, right?) Is a typical must-have that is worth giving yourself for the holidays. Destroying more terminators is surprisingly satisfying and I’m convinced that there will be those for whom the game will be one of the biggest (positive) surprises of 2019. And although Terminator: Resistance can’t compete with other shooters, it’s worth remembering that we haven’t seen a game in the Terminator universe for a long time that would hold a decent level.

Skimming the Steam reviews by players, I see a consistent theme:

The game oozes the Terminator atmosphere. It has all the different types of terminators/machines we see in the some of the movies when they show scenes from the war in the future. It really captures what we see in those few brief scenes - humans running/hiding from HK’s and Terminators, scrounging in the ruins to fight the machines. It has music from the original score, along with new music that fits in well. There’s a lot of fan service in the movie, some obvious, some not so obvious.

Many of the favorable reviews mention the issues noted in the professional reviews. But to most that I’ve read, those issues are outweighed by what many see is a faithful rendering of a war that they have largely had to imagine.

Thanks, that’s interesting.

So it’s very much the Fluff rather than the Crunch that people are loving. Certainly nothing wrong with that, but still fascinating that the industry reviews haven’t reflected that (e.g. John Wick Hex, which I struggle to enjoy mechanically, but the atmosphere is cited very favourably in reviews).

See, that doesn’t ooze Terminator atmosphere to me. The Terminator movies are not set in the future war!

Do the XWing game’s ooze Star Wars atmosphere?