Terra Invicta: XCOM-y grand strategy

So the people behind the Long War mod for XCOM formed a studio, and they announced their first game: Terra Invicta.

http://www.pcgamer.com/xcoms-long-war-modders-announce-new-studio-and-game/

It’s supposed to be a grand strategy game in a XCOM-like scenario, kind of Europa Universalis meets XCOM. I’m intrigued.

Ctrl+f: ‘kickstarter’

Sigh. There should be a rule against announcing games so far in advance.

Why? I mean we don’t talk about the average game developer here, it’s really a special case and it would be kind of hard for them to keep this a secret. No reason why they shouldn’t get the word out about what they have planned and more game devs that try to create interesting grand strategy games are always welcome, it’s not like there are many out there.

Trailer here - it’s… not what I was expecting, but if they pull it off it could be amazing.

EDIT: Reading @Bateau’s comment made me look at the original article and they do indeed mention Kickstarter, but it never seemed to have happened and now Paradox is publishing this. So maybe no Kickstarter was ever needed?

That was…underwhelming.

Hey that looks really cool. So it’s not XCOM-y at all, beyond the thematic similarities?

I think it’s very XCOM-y, just not in the tactical sense. It’s quite obviously inspired by the strategy part of XCOM, with factions, faction support, spinning globe etc. The “build a fleet” could be seen as an extension of the “interceptor” concept, perhaps.

That said, the trailer was indeed a bit underwhelming. I’ll of course keep an eye on this, but I’m not super excited about it. Hopefully that will change.

The Kickstarter for this is underway. I was about to post in the Kickstarter thread, and then noticed we have a dedicated thread for it.

Also, these guys are apparently neighbors of mine, in nearby Louisville, CO.

Pretty well funded as they hit the last couple days, at 165k. Hope this does well for them.

Terra Invicta got another delay but is “close to finished and will release very soon” according to the publisher.
It will have a demo available for the Steam Next Fest, starting Monday. Seven years of game time, one faction, no save game.

Unrelated to the release I also learned that the designer of my favourite board game, Sidereal Confluence, is a developer on Terra Invicta too.

Really looking forward to this one.

I was skeptical this would ever release so demo is a good sign!

Lots of game play videos on YouTube of the demo:

I am liking what I am seeing.

!!!

Although I’m disappointed you didn’t name him. If I were talking about someone named Tauceti Deichmann, I’d roll out the name every opportunity I got! :)

Thanks for mentioning that, though. You got my attention!

-Tom

Perun, from the Russia invasion thread, playing the demo on his gaming channel.

Thanks, really excited to try out the demo now. Also didn’t realize Hooded Horse was the publisher on this one. Talk about a company plugged into all of the games my brain desires.

I only skimmed the video, because it’s nearly three hours long, but did I get it right that in all that time the guy never got to the part where he fights aliens?

I’m only like 30-45 minutes into the full watch but that seems possible? He very much was ignoring the UFO crash in favor of trying to take over a bunch of countries.

It looks more like the game is ignoring the UFOs in favor of trying to take over a bunch of countries. If that’s what the designers are interested in then more power to them, but there’s a reason why the XCOM’s started the player in combat situations before zooming out to the strategy layer.

Sure, but XCOM was a tactical game with a strategy layer holding it together. This is purely a strategy game. It seems the focus is really on the factions(some of which are pro-alien?) with the progressing alien invasion being the setting vs the whole focus, partly depending on what faction you’re playing. In the video he’s playing the resistance faction that seems to be largely based on the X-COM organization so I’d expect that to feel somewhat familiar.

But yeah, this very much seems to be doing its own thing vs just trying to be XCOM or XCOM but only the strategy layer.

HH has a lot of space games in their portfolio.