Terraria (it's Minecraft, sideways)

The leak may have prompted this (from the dev):

“Terraria, coming to you sooner than you expected. Baring no complications, Expect it available on Steam, Monday, May 16th 2011!!!”

Oh nice, have they said anything about the pricing?

I think it’s $10 for a short period of time, and then set to climb after that period. I feel like I’m in a paradise of indie gaming, lately.

Monday? $10? SOLD.

Monday, $10, plus Steam. DOUBLE SOLD!

Whoops. Looks like the $10 was a rumor:

<@Blue> I cant tell you WHAT the price is just yet, but it will be a reduced price for a short span of time. then it will raise to its default price after that.

Regardless, reduced price can’t possibly be more than $15. Now we wait for the inevitable qt3 server(s). :)

EDIT: Yup. $10.

<@Blue> ok, officially listing the release price at 9.99, it will remain at that price for a short time.

Its not listed on steam yet anyhow.

I don’t like Twitter, but for some things are useful:

Kinda excited about this. Minecraft’s been too stagnant for my liking (Can only make giant cobblestone dicks for so long before you wish there was more to the game) but this looks like it should be pretty fun.

Is going to be a fun game, with a enormeus map, about 200 cool monsters, different areas to explore/conquer.

But is still a 2D game, with a lineal progression. I think this is the type of game that you enjoy a few months, then you move to something else. I mean,… theres only 1 game* in Terraria, while theres a lot of games in Minecraft.

• maybe two, if you count the Capture The Flag mod.

I dunno. We could very well just split off into teams and make each other’s lives miserable.

There’s a lot less tedious bullshit in Terraria compared to Minecraft, such as recipes and items being defined in-game, an NPC guide, etc.

Day one purchase for me, I’d even donate towards a server.

Likewise!

Is steam going to be the only way to get this?

Day one purchase for me and my kids. They have been pestering me to know when it would be out so we could set up a family server.

This will be available internationally though, right? Or could it be only in the US? That would be a bummer.

Wendelius

Will be grabbing this monday.

Is interesting that is that easy to get the source code of a program made in C# with XNA.

The resulting code is readable, and the C# style seems aceptable good to understand.

I am tempted to download some XBLA game from a sharing site to extract the source code, and peek on it, just curiosity. I don’t own a console.

• puts on monocle and top hat *

If you want your game source code to be secret, seems writting the game as C# is a horrible idea.

Teiman, would you mind on dropping a few links/hints on how to do that?
I have solid C# knowledge, but never messed around with XNA.
But I’m no game programmer, so it’s also just curiosity…

rezaf

If you want it to be safe you use obfuscation. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but if I remember correctly even classes will be hidden, unlike Java.

Oh well! Just had a look at the leaked version, no obfuscation at all, everything is intact. looks like someone messed up big time.