Terri Schiavo part II: The Pope

Apcom said doctors had to intervene because of a “worrying lowering of (blood) pressure.”

The news agency also said the pope reportedly had a high fever.

A Vatican official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said he was unaware of such a worsening in the pontiff’s health and that at least a few hours ago, the pope’s situation was “regular.”

“Shoot me! Only this time, fucking aim.

I have no idea what this post is about uncle larry.

Why this man doesn’t retire is beyond me. He’s not able to do anything even remotely close to his job. He’s had a good run. Let one of the people who are really running things anyway take over.

Can popes retire? I always thought it was a job-for-life thingy.

Can popes retire? I always thought it was a job-for-life thingy.[/quote]

I remember hearing on the radio that the Vatican wouldn’t let him retire. Which would make for a really interesting situation if the Pope ever were to be caught in a Schiavo situation.

Yep, and several have. THEY have to choose to retire, though. There’s no term limit.

Yep, and several have. THEY have to choose to retire, though. There’s no term limit.[/quote]

Oh,damn . :?

Come on, Uncle Larry isn’t that bad.

Burn on me :?

Yep, and several have. THEY have to choose to retire, though. There’s no term limit.[/quote]

Interesting history there, a quick bit of googling shows that papal retirements are far far from the norm and the really only happened between 1000-1450 A.D. when there were a lot of kings and politics and armies involved in selection of the pope. Not exactly a precedent a modern pope wants to be compared to.

Yeah, it’s a case of dogma/tradition getting in the way of pragmatic common sense. (In the Catholic Church? Unpossible!) I got into a fun argument with my in-laws, who are strict Catholics, over why women shouldn’t be priests. It was over pretty quick, though, once I hit the “Because that’s the way it should be” wall.

Just read that he was given Last Rights.

One thing I have had reinforced by watching CNN’s coverage of this story is that Wolf Blitzer is a total cunt. Oh, and Delia Gallagher is a total babe.

Could you summarize. I haven’t watched CNN since the runup to the war in Iraq. Wolf Blitzer is a poor excuse for a journalist, always asking leading questions and interupting guests.

Nothing specific, just his prima donna demeanour in general. It’s as though he feels he is the star of the show and not just some guy doing the news. Lou Dobbs is the same way (Lou Dobbs actually had a piece about how the Washington Post or somesuch mentioned him by name in one of their articles … he was beaming like a little kid who has just taken their first dump without falling into the toilet during that piece).

I suppose I just take exception to the increasing trend towards punditry, ‘personalities’ and editorial opinion pieces in place of proper reportage. It seems like practically every hour on the various cable news networks these days has someone or other’s name in the title, as if anyone should give a flying fuck who is reading the news.

It’s clear from that photo he thinks the whole dying with dignity thing is claptrap.

The Sacrament of the Annointing of the Sick, or sumsuch. Although typically regarded as the Last Rights (and maybe should be, dunno how the pope is doing), you can recieve it if you are sick in any way.

Thanks.