Thank god we're bringing democracy to Iraq!

Texas style.

It ain’t really Texas style unless some of them were retards.

Crack a history book. Democracies don’t start with everyone getting along, being nice, and sipping tea. The difference between the hangings now and the hangings then is now it’s not a dictator doing the hanging, it’s the rule of law.

There’s a difference if you care to look.

Like in Iran.

Yay, for democracies and capital punishment. They never get it wrong.

In what way? Iraq had law before the war. You might not have liked the law. I dont like parts of UK alw. But to suggest there was none, and now they have it is wrong.

Iraq was not a lawless wasteland under saddam.

In a democracy, after a hundred years, you have to let your slaves go. And, after a hundred and fifty years, you have to let your women vote. And, at the beginning of democracy, quite a bit of genocide and ethnic cleansing is quite okay. And that’s what’s going on now.

Not to nitpick, but Iraq did not have rule of law under Saddam, and not having rule of law does not mean that you instead have a lawless wasteland. “Rule of law” is a specific term that indicates that nobody in a nation is above the law; in effect, the law is the highest ruler of the land. You can’t have rule of law in a dictatorship–they are antithetical to each other.

GrinR’s statement, of course, is also wrong. Mob justice is not “rule of law.” Quite the opposite, actually.

Democracies don’t start with everyone getting along, being nice, and sipping tea.

Crack a Canadian history book, that’s pretty much how it went.

Ol’ Saddam, he looking good to a buncha them ol boys in Eye-rak right about now. Didn’t have no suicide bombers nor snipers back in Saddam’s day. And Saddam kept them Shi’a Iranian bastids outa Eye-rak, you betcha.

Actually, since the Iraqis better understand themselves than we do, this might be a step in the right direction for them. Possible deterrent (except for suicide bombers) hopefully.

Hey. We Americans are running the show over there, we’ll build democracy OUR way, thank you very much.

After decades of Parliamentary rule in England setting a nice precedent for civilized behavior and democracy. Canadian democracy (and Indian and Australian…) is an inheritance from a legacy full of deposed monarchs, civil war and peasant revolts.

Troy

True but now countries have several examples of democratic countries to base their transitions on. Look at the relatively peacefull transitions from totalanarianism to democratic countries in eastern europe. True we had the Checkoslavakia disaster but that’s probably the result of what’s going on in Iraq where the international community is forcing together ehtnic groups that are diametricly opposed to each other.

Hey, that sounds neat! Maybe we should try that over here.

Nice pre-9/11 mentality you’ve got there…

No, my statement was not wrong. My information may be wrong, but unless it is, my statement stands true.

[I]BAGHDAD, Iraq -
Iraq has executed 27 “terrorists” convicted by Iraqi courts of killings and rapes in several provinces, the government said Thursday. They were executed in Baghdad on Wednesday, the government’s media office said in a brief statement. It did not provide further details.

A senior justice official said all 27 were Iraqis, and two had been convicted of terrorism-related charges. The other 25, including one woman, were convicted of murder and kidnappings.

The sentences were carried out by hanging, the official said, requesting that his name not be used because he was not authorized to speak to the media about the executions.

[/I](emphasis obviously mine)

That’s an oversimplification. The theoretical possibility to sue the government is meaningless compared to a substantial likelihood of getting killed by gang members while walking down the street. “Nobody is above the law” has to apply in practice, not just in theory. In present-day Iraq, lots and lots of people outside of the government are de facto above the law because nobody can control them. The rule of law might very well have been more closely approximated under Saddam, though I haven’t actually compared the figures of dead and wounded and prisoners.

Surprise surprise, the Arab world is the Arab world. I guess it’ll shock Bush there’s not a Republican car salesman hiding in the heart of each Iraqi.