Tharsis: turn-based spaceship survival with dice rolling!

They added challenges! I’m #2 on the global leaderboard for “All Hands on the Bad One”!

Just got this tonight and I’m loving it. Super-tight interweaving of systems packed into a gameplay space the size of a mason jar. I’ve had a couple really good starts that went to hell in one turn…

I finally won on my 25th game. I feel like I can uninstall it now. Yay! It’s a good game, but I think the choices for a winning solution are too narrow and it needs some further refinement. Good luck to those still working on a win.

I won on Hard! Only got one astronaut out. And just barely. Think I’ve seen all three endings now.

Nice! Didn’t know there were multiple endings (holding out for iOS release).

Maybe that’s changed.

A giant patch just dropped yesterday that according to many of the old fans of the game turns it into an incredibly easy joke of its old self. Not sure if it is just Normal that got this eassyfying makeover or if both Normal and Hard are supposedly a shadow of their former selves. They also added 5 new missions.

Looking forward to giving it another spin as I did suck horribly atnit previously…but at the same time sort of respected its brutal difficulty.

Could this be a sign of a mobile version dropping soon?

If only there was some way to find out what a patch actually does! :)

[quote]
Hey everyone! We’ve just issued a huge Tharsis patch with bug fixes, new missions, a completely revamped tutorial, unlockable skull avatars, and more. We’ll post the full patch notes below, but I first wanted to remind everyone that they can always contact us at [email protected] with any bug reports, support requests, or anything else they’d like to chat with us about. We’re dedicated to making Tharsis the best game it can possibly be, so please don’t be shy about sending your feedback our way!

PATCH NOTES

Bug fixes galore
A completely revamped tutorial. We highly recommend you play through it if you’ve had a hard time understanding Tharsis!
Introduction of unlockable “skull” avatars. We’ll talk more about the unlock criteria as time goes on. For now, we want to see how many of you can figure it out without our assistance…
Smoother difficulty curve in Normal mode
Hard mode is now harder than ever
Five new missions available in Missions mode
Research mechanic now more streamlined and easier to understand[/quote]

Bolding mine. I thought normal difficulty could be a bit punishing at first. It doesn’t seem weird to me that they’re giving it a “smoother difficulty curve” (i.e. making it easier). But at any rate, they clearly intend the revamped hard mode to take up the slack for complaints that normal is too easy.

-Tom

Noticed this was on sale on Steam yesterday. Any word on an iOS port?

Wow, clearly in reaction to the whining they’ve brought back the original Normal difficulty and now call the new Normal “Easy”. Everybody wins.

I’ve been playing this since I bought the Humble Bundle with this. Got to Mars on try #7 (on normal) after missing it by 1 turn 2 times. Unfortunately I had to leave a crew member behind so they could make a repair to get through that last turn. Also lost some points because… yummm, humans. Probably not a game I’ll keep playing for a long time, but it’s a good game to fire up when I don’t feel like anything too complicated. There is a bunch of missions to try that look like they can be interesting challenges.

Success can depend a lot on the type of events thrown at you, along with the die rolls but it feels like the player can have enough of an effect to have good decisions rewarded and not feel like success is totally random. Definitely worth picking up that bundle for it.

Awise!

Just got this. Having fun. I don’t sweat losing. I play it tthe same way I play FTL, not to win, just to play. Haven’t won a game yet but I beat @BrianRubin’s high score on Normal. So I have that going for me. :)

Finally won a game on Easy! If I can do it on Easy I can do it on Normal. Really liking this game. I’m coming for your score @tomchick. ;)

If you want another score to shoot for I’m robc04 on Steam too.

No, don’t friend @robc04 for scores. He tries to be #1 on everything and then you stop playing mini metro because it’s pointless and you’ll never get anywhere close to his score…

I’M NOT BITTER!

If it’s any consolation, I think I only have 1 high score on Mini Metro on my friend list! I’ve also lost my #1 spot on most of the Pinball FX 2 tables.

Maybe, I need to start playing again :-)

We do need more people playing Pinball FX2. @Thraeg has pretty much been running around scooping up the high scores on every table. I’m hoping my 2 mega high scores are enough to stop him… but somehow I doubt it.

I expect him to post a screenshot in a few weeks showing a little trophy icon on every table in the game.

Heh, I’m actually probably going to take a break from Pinball unless someone takes one of my scores and I need to defend it. Getting a sweep of the high scores on all my Star Wars and Fox cartoon tables was a fun goal to work toward over a few weeks, but I’m ready to play something else for a while.

And I’m still jealous of your Sorcerer’s Lair score. I’ve made a few stabs at it, but it’s so high that getting close is a long and random slog. Those hourlong attempts that come up a bit short at 1.1 billion are demoralizing.

Hard should seriously be called Impossible. And yes, it seems adding @robc04 was a mistake. :)

Finished Le Freak with a shitty score. But I finished it. Too much cannibalism.