That Internet dating thing

I guess I’ll start 2012 off with a positive online dating story. Early in 2011 I came out of a bad five year marriage that was the result of being young and Christian. ugh. By June though I was ready to meet some new people. I knew from reading this thread that OkCupid was one of the better sites, so I signed up and messaged a few high matches including one that really caught my eye, but she lived an hour away so I didn’t think much would come of it. I’ll call her “ladyparts”.

I went on a couple one off dates that didn’t go anywhere, but during this time had been exchanging countless messages and soon phone calls with ladyparts. We decided to meet near her place and had some pizza and then went to see Super 8. I think we were both a little apprehensive, but after spending time together it became clear that we connected really well.

A quick anecdote: When I first started seeing ladyparts, my divorce wasn’t quite final. I agonized over how to disclose this. On our second date, as I nervously tried to bring it up over our meal, ladyparts jokingly asked “you’re not married, are you?”. I was shocked and responded with “actually…” and then went on to explain the situation. My worrying was ultimately for nothing though, as she was very understanding and accepting of it all.

Today, Ladyparts and I have been bf/gf for nearly six months, and despite the distance we’ve managed to see each other every weekend since we met. She has helped me repair relationships with friends and family that I neglected during my unhappy married years, and has gotten me excited to revisit some old dreams and hobbies that I had abandoned.

No relationship is perfect and we have our rough days, but I feel as though I’m growing and developing as a person for the first time in a very long time. I hope I’m having a similar effect on her.

Later in the spring she is moving towards better job opportunities, and we won’t be living so far apart anymore.

Here is a picture of us taken right before the holidays: