That Internet dating thing

No, it seems there were some spam comments that bumped the thread, but were hiddden/ deleted immediately. My count showed 2 new posts, but only yours is visible.

But even after a spam comment is deleted, the thread remains bumped.

With the bump, I wonder how @lostcawz is doing a year+ later. :)

Well, I’d considered dropping in an update from time to time but it felt rather narcissistic since I appeared to be the only one posting. I mean I’m a plenty big narcissist, but I try and hide it better.

Anyway, the I’ve been with the gal I last posted about ever since. She’s pretty great and seems to think along the same lines about me. We got engaged last summer and will be getting married next June.

She had a few more horror stories regarding the online thing included a dude who showed up as a different person from the guy in the profile. And a dude who went text-crazy when she didn’t immediately respond. Me, I only had the pot head and crack head stories. And plenty that used online dating as a source to just keep dating different guys all the time. Which is fine, but not what I was looking for. Luckily I found an amazing woman in a short amount of time.

Awesome!

Grindr and Tinder were both released since this thread started. Wonder how that’s changed things? Family Guy had a Tinder episode, as did Broad City. Both had pretty negative views.

Congrats!

Just noticed this thread for the first time.

I met a lady from Java in Indonesia on International Cupid in September 2015. I had been a member there for all of 5 days when I got an “interest” notification from her.

We get married on January 3…I can’t believe my luck.

Congrats to @lostcawz, @UtilityDogAK and anybody else that has been successful with Internet dating (married or otherwise)!

The wonderful woman that I last met on OKCupid and I got married back in June after 4 years of dating including a year and a half of cohabitation. We also just bought a house together last month. This thread is one of the main things that inspired me to try Internet dating and I can honestly say that it has had a very positive influence on the course of my life. Like most things in life you get out what you put in, but nonetheless I feel it is necessary to salute all of the other members of this forum that contributed to this thread and inspired me to take the that first big leap. Thanks Qt3!

Yay! Congrats to you also.

You have to develop a thick skin because rejection can be swift and brutal BUT it does allow you to connect with others if your social circle is limited or you’re shy or whatever.

I had a few goes in my own country before going international. None of them worked out long term. I just got lucky this time. Although Immigration are being bitches so it looks like it’s “hello Java” for a year or so.

Super congrats to y’all! Nice to hear it working out for others.

I just read back from 5 years ago when I was first posting here about online dating. OMG, I was so tense! I mean, I was using this to vent some so I sounded more spazzy than I was, but the things that bugged me when I first started the online thing (slow responses and email threads stopping for no reason) we barely on my radar this second time. It’s just how it is, at least in a high population area. So many use it as a catalog to pick a date of the week.

Anyway, I hope this thread arises for a while at least to help any QT3ers get into and/or thru this. I know it helped me immensely. Both as a sounding board and a place to vent a little. And get some advice on how it works. This thread really was a god-send for me, especially back on 2012 when I first divorced.

Well, for one, OkCupid’s tilted hard towards what I’ve heard Tinder to operate like, if not worse - the mobile site shows you their profile pictures and lets you like or not like and that is fucking it. And the desktop site is better but still notably less useful than it used to be. I am not a fan. I didn’t want to do the Tinder thing, and I don’t want the site I was using to be Tinder, thanks.

Personally I met someone this year off OkCupid, hit it off great online, switched to texts and I tried flirting pretty hard and she seemed into it and then when I actually proposed meeting she said “let’s start by being friends and then see where that goes” and I was like “…or we could try dating and see where that goes?” and she said “until we meet I have no idea if I’ll be into you and I’d rather not have to let you down if it turns out I’m not”, to which my sentiment is “so you’d rather just do it before we even try? Uh, okay.” Because while my dates have gone from dating to “let’s just be friends” every time (at least at the most successful end of the spectrum), none of my friends have ever, ever presented any sort of romantic interest in me. So to me, “let’s start at friends” is throwing the possibility of more out the window entirely. But I liked her, and I didn’t want to just blow her off, so we did meet, and we’ve hung out some, and played Borderlands and ME: Andromeda multiplayer together some, and may be playing Blades in the Dark online and…there is no sign of romance being on the table. So, yeah. I think I was right. But friends are still good.

Given OkCupid’s slide into design failure, I’m pretty done actively hunting, though. At the moment I’m planning on meeting a woman I’ve known online for several years and seeing where that goes. We’ve been kind of generally mutually interested for most of that time, but not really to the point of actually getting together. The big stumbling blocks are that she lives in Wyoming (which is multiple states away and a huge pain to get to by any sort of public transportation, even flying) and is quite busy with her job. Also she’s really close with her family, and if she moved out this way she’d see them far less, while my job is very specific to my current location so it would be a big deal for either of us to move. And neither of us are thrilled about the whole long-distance relationship thing. So, we’ve kept in touch (through multiple relationships on her part, if less so mine) but not actually met. I have more cash for travel now than I used to, though, (plus I went down to North Carolina for an online friend’s wedding a couple years back and that made it seem far more doable) and she’s out of school and was willing to consider a cross-country move for a previous relationship, since fallen through. So it feels worth exploring, at the least.

In my datin’ days I used OKCupid, Eharmony, and Match, listed in ascending order of usefulness. I met my wife on Match.

I only used this service and it delivered

sprays Faygo all over the screen

He’s still only about 8% as creepy as the real e-Harmony guy.

Welp, in the latest of a series of terrible decisions from the OkCupid folks, they’re forcing everyone to switch to using their real names for their profile. As such, I’ve deleted my account and will not be back.

What? That’s insane. I thought OKC was the most useful in terms of profile information even if it has a smaller base of users than Match. But to force you to use your real name is just asking for the crazy. I don’t even think Tinder or Bumble did that for the little bit that I used it.

They don’t want your real names, just namey names.

Back when I did the internet dating thing people would ask for emails to chat on MSN. They’d look that up on facebook for creepy stuff.

So, a username, then. Fucking ridiculous.

(Or, if they want it to be an actual human name then it’s either a lie or it’s not fucking private, is it? I guess the Toms and Elizabeths of the world are probably okay, but my actual name is way too unusual to have any anonymity.)

I’d go with my real first name plus my mother’s maiden.

Good luck googling John Smith.

Found you!