That Sopranos show cranks up again on March 7

I haven’t seen it mentioned on the boards lately, but the Sopranos new season starts Sunday, March 7. The reviews I have read about the first few episodes have been very positive. I don’t consistantly watch any series except for this one. Everyone better soak it in because the sixth (and supposedly final) season won’t be shot until 2005 and aired in early 2006.

-DavidCPA

I can’t wait! Hey, Curb Your Enthusiasm is pretty good too.

What is that site where you can download tv shows? I get sick of waiting for the dvd release and don’t want HBO.

Suprnova.org?

There are a lot, Tim. :)

Also, why are they holding off on filming for so late? Seems like its been a year since season four finished up.

Well, it just shows how out of touch I am. :) I just read where my cable provider increased my d/l speed to 3mps. I am ready.

I agree about the holding off comment. It seems like I rented season 4 dvd a long time ago and they haven’t even started showing season 5 yet?

Its going to get worse. Next season is only a partial season and they aren’t even going to start filming it until 2005.

Suprnova is having some mirror/tracker issues, so it may be hard to get things for a few more days. You can also try some other sites, like filesoup.com (requires forum registration).

— Alan

I thought there were some contract / scheduling issues? I seem to remember Gandolfini holding out for more money and that threw everything out of whack.

I thought there were some contract / scheduling issues? I seem to remember Gandolfini holding out for more money and that threw everything out of whack.[/quote]

The Sopranos has always taken long breaks between seasons. Historically, it’s been because the writer(s) take an unusually long time in perfecting the script. IMO, it’s the main reason the show is so good. They aren’t under the same time contraints as regular network television, and can spend more time making it a high quality product. If it were a video game, it’d fall under the “when it’s done” camp. :)

And to whoever said Curb Your Enthusiasm is “pretty good”, you just made the understatement of the year!

I’d actually agree with pretty good on Curb this year. The first three or four episodes were dull and drawn out. But the last few have been fantastic. The one with the hooker and the baseball game may be the best episode of the series. And last week with the numb vagina and Running Bear was also a classic.

On any other show the things that happen to Larry each week would be unbelievably out there. For some reason when I’m watching it though, it seems like this kind of stuff would probably happen to him. This season did start of a little slow, but it is still one of the best comedies out there, and I think the season is much too short.

I thought there were some contract / scheduling issues? I seem to remember Gandolfini holding out for more money and that threw everything out of whack.[/quote]

This is correct, to a degree. First off was the entire cast needing to be re-signed for future seasons. Not much was done writing-wise until they had signatures on the dotted lines for the next couple of seasons. Then Gandolfini had his much-publicized “holdout” on the eve of shooting. That set things back a month.

But the real hold on the show is $ for HBO. Even network execs were stunned by the sheer number of DVD sets of the first two seasons that were gobbled up (remember, when season 4 finished up, the DVD sets were still current only through season 2). A big part of the extended break between seasons was to allow the network to make a big marketing push on the next two season’s box sets, and figuring that sales of same would drive non-HBO subscribers to remedy that situation in time for Season 5.

Last night’s episode was a good start, with some new tangents and things starting to simmer.

spoilers

Can’t help but reflect on Chris/Paulie’s argument, subsequent murder of the waiter, and conversation the morning after and laugh. I mean, they kill this poor guy after they nearly came to blows, then the next morning during a phone call they reflect on how dumb it was and “someone coulda got hurt.” It’s your prototypical Sopranos moment.

I was hoping the bear was gonna eat AJ. Damn. Meadow looks thinner than the previous years. Lorraine Brocco doesn’t look half bad for someone her age.

— Alan

more spoilers

I thought it was either significant (or maybe just a good-natured David Chase thumb-tweaking at the fans) that the missing Russian was finally brought up again at the begining of the episode. So either they may finally try to resolve that plot thread–or maybe Chase was just saying to us, “Yeah, yeah, he’s still out there. We didn’t forget. And we don’t give a shit.” Or maybe it was an in-joke with Buscemi, since he’s the one who directed the Russian episode. Whatever, I’m good. Awesome first episode.

Lorraine Brocco doesn’t look half bad for someone her age.

Good lord, man–what an understatement. She is a BABE.

You think that was a body double or the real thing?

Her back and ass maybe, but not the breasts as she’s shown 'em before in the show.

— Alan

According to the lady herself, as quoted, most of what you saw in that scene was her. Though she’s something like 54, so I can’t imagine her ass is that taut. Either way, what a classy, elegant, hot, hot woman. It’s no wonder Tony’s going for Melfi. Sitting across from her all those year, looking at those legs…

[quote=“Jeremy_Johnsen”]

Its going to get worse. Next season is only a partial season and they aren’t even going to start filming it until 2005.[/quote]

I thought this was the final season?

Peter

Next season they are having a half season to wrap things up. 8 episodes I think they’ve said.

Not much of an episode (#2) last night. It was all over the place. I thought it tried to do too many things, and conequently wound up doing nothing.

Peter