The 100 morons

I just suffered through the first episode of “the 100” on the CW. Worse, my wife wants to give the next episode a chance, despite the rampant stupidity in the first one.

Brief synopsis: there was a nuclear war, and a space station with the last of humanity is suffering from life-support problems, so they exile 100 teenage criminals to Earth to see if it’s safe to go back. Not a terrible premise, aside from the deliberate decision to make it extremely teen-centric, even if (as usual) all the teenagers are played by people in their 20’s.

Of the teenagers, only 3 have visible intelligence, and I’m none too sure about one of those. They’re stranded in a wilderness with no food and no technology beyond a very bare-bones lander, and only two teenagers have any desire to secure the supplies that were landed ahead of them. Because starving is so much fun.

Of the teenage characters, the female lead and her bad boy love interest are tolerable, the intelligent supervillain practically twirls his mustache, and I want all of the others to die. I was very disappointed when the extremely attractive but unpleasant illegal girl was not eaten by the giant eel, as she should have been. I was not surprised when the dorky guy did get killed, since he was the least attractive in the little expedition.

Not that the adults are any prizes either. They have put health telemetry bands on every prisoner, with some sort of magical technology that’s readable from orbit. Their #1 concern is whether there’s radiation. But they’re too stupid to put radiation detectors on these bands, so they repeatedly argue about whether so-and-so’s telemetry going out means they died of radiation. Not to mention that apparently the telemetry bands can’t tell the difference between “band removed / destroyed” and “band perfectly functional but subject dead.”

Some fairly predictable bad science, free fall continuing even though the lander’s experiencing heavy deceleration from atmospheric braking, a lander that would never stand up to reentry, viable mutations like giant eels and two-headed deer in just 97 years, putting a tourniquet above a scrape that is barely oozing, a space station that looks like the designers had infinite room, etc.

The whole thing is really sad, because “how do we build survive and build a civilization with almost no tools” is an interesting premise, but they’re not going there at all, they’re dwelling on pointless teenage rebellion instead.

Thanks for suffering through this, Gus. I saw the ads for it and immediately wrote it off, which is something I rarely do for anything with an even vaguely SF/F premise. Looks like I’m not missing anything.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

No, really, they do that at least 4 times in the pilot episode.

“We have two deaths.”
“Maybe it’s radiation!”
“It’s probably that crash landing. If it were radiation, they’d all be dying at once.”

“Another three deaths.” (Not really, it was bands being removed.)
“Radiation is the most likely cause!”
“No, if it were radiation it wouldn’t have been so abrupt.”

“Look at those elevated heart rates! It’s probably radiation!”
“Maybe they’re just excited.”

“We have a slew of bands going dead.” (More bands being removed).
“It’s radiation for sure this time!”

Fwiw, it got a nice review in washpost. Says that is good entertainment if you can swallow premise. Made it sound interesting enough for me to see online

I love this thread title :)

The whole thing is really sad, because “how do we build survive and build a civilization with almost no tools” is an interesting premise, but they’re not going there at all, they’re dwelling on pointless teenage rebellion instead.

Sounds bizarrely similar to how Fox fucked up Terra Nova - you’d think they’d have learned from that. Though maybe the CW won’t be so squeamish about showing actual peril.

In the pilot you see one (1) rebellious teenager get killed. There are a couple of deaths in the landing, but they’re off-screen.

It’s funny you should bring up Terra Nova, it reminded my wife of Terra Nova as well. As you say, they took an interesting premise and turned it into teenagers sneaking out into the dinosaur-infested woods.

As you say, they took an interesting premise and turned it into teenagers sneaking out into the dinosaur-infested woods.

Infested with invisible dinosaurs. That must never be shot.

I wish it really was called, “The 100 Morons.”

So was episode 2 better? I am not sure if I want to waste the hour watching it…

We decided not to watch episode 2 after all.

But you will never know who threw the spear! :p

Supposedly The Lord of the Flies was the inspiration for this show.

No, I haven’t seen it.

Lord of the Flies definitely figured prominently in my thinking from the moment the morons made planetfall, so I guess they got that part right. The main party was being led by a charismatic villain who was only semi-stupid. By which I mean that he wasn’t a ridiculous idiot on the surface, as most of the rebellious teens were, but he was still focused on stupid stuff like Sticking It To The Man by taking off the bracelets, rather than getting food that everyone was going to want within the next day.

If they were explicitly thinking of Lord of the Flies, though, they completely missed the point. Having an actual threat in the form of spear-chucking mutants robs the central theme of almost all of its bite. The fear is supposed to be irrational.

Since it is CW I am surprised the “bad guys” aren’t vampires, werewolves or just mean teenage girls.

It’s only the second episode. Radioactive vampire mutant-dog mean girls!

It’s decent in parts, a mashup of After Earth and Lord of the Flies. But then, they break into “teen drama moments” at jarringly inappropriate times, complete with a soundtrack and dialogue right out of 90210. I don’t see this getting very far.

I would love for every episode to have some characters going through relational drama, and just as they reconcile, with sappy music playing, spear-wielding mutants swarm out of the woods and carry them off to be devoured.

I haven’t seen this show.

Seen it? I’m wondering if you’re the showrunner.