The 14 characteristics of Fascism

Ben, you are being just as dismissive and narrow-minded as you are accusing us of being. I am NOT a democrat. I voted Republican in every election this year except for the President. Just look at the list, then look at the history. Check what happened in Italy and Germany. Then see if there are similarities. If you don’t see them, that’s fine. I’m not going to say you are an idiot for not agreeing with me (actually, you are the one who is doing that, and without ANY arguments btw). But I will say you are an idiot if you don’t at least think about it.

Bush won on “values” whatever that means…apparently, it means religion.

After 9/11 gas stations around here put up signs saying they were “American owned”. That’s nationalism (of the bad kind), racism, an intolerance for foreigners.

The war was sold to us as a need to meet an imminent threat to our country (that was just bullshit, and would have been even if Saddam DID have a connection to terrorism).

Those who disagree with said war are labelled traitors.

The Patriot Act is part of this illegal combatant idea, which is scary as HELL. If they think you are a combatant, they can lock you up without due process. They’ll keep extending that one…watch and see.

Now, I am not saying it is an intentional fascist coup (although I guess it could be). I am saying these are the early signs of fascism. What stops fascism is being aware of these signs and making sure they don’t go to far. What aids fascism is ignoring it, or worse, buying into it. Fascism is almost never sold AS fascism. countries seldom turn themselves over to totalitarianism willingly.

I don’t recall saying Bush is the same as Hitler, please don’t put words in my mouth. Germany wasn’t the only Fascist state, and in fact some would argue (and I think correctly) that Nazism is a form of Fascism but not all Fascism is Nazism.

I’m so tired of this shit. You guys believe whatever the hell you want, at this point it’s like talking to Jason’s hypothetical homeless person. You are all absolutely batshit insane. Maybe in a few weeks you’ll calm down and start acting reasonable.

Canada’s government is bravely protecting it’s citizens from hurtful thoughts, but uh, America is brutally oppressing people. That’s the ticket.

I’m being dismissive because you’ve got nothing besides that last weapon of Internet argument, the Nazi card.

Well, I’m leaving it in your hands. You guys are in charge of stopping George Bush from implementing the 4th Reich. I guess we already remilitarized the Rheinland…

Ben I think you’re the only one all in a huff here.

You should at least read Henry Wallace’s speach, he was a US Vice President after all.

Yes, I’m clearly the unreasonable one. You guys think Bill O’Reilly is just a hop skip and jump away from Goebbels, and I’m the fucking unreasonable one.

You guys ought to think about this for just one second. I expect this crap from Midnight, but those of you with triple digit IQs shouldn’t be making yourselves look ridiculous.

This forum is going off the deep end fast, and you guys need to engage in a bit of reflection about why. Not every left leaning blog is worth reading and reposting. How is it that you guys are able to figure out that right wing talking points are full of shit without ever making that logical leap to left wing talking points also being full of shit? Did the thought never cross your minds? Are you that blinded by partisan hate?

The problem is the one you guys always complain about. I’ll be like: “What’s a single element of fascism shown by the Bush adminstration that hasn’t been found in previous adminstrations?”, and you’ll claim… rampant cronyism, and I’ll ask for evidence, and you’ll yell Enron for 15 posts without ever providing any actual evidence, and we’ll start over again.

You all loved that reality based community line, how about returning to it?

Not as strident as Ben, but you are being a little silly.

Give it another 10 years (dives).

Yes, I’m clearly the unreasonable one. You guys think Bill O’Reilly is just a hop skip and jump away from Goebbels, and I’m the fucking unreasonable one.

No, Bill O’Reilly is a sympton of a sick culture that is a hop skip and jump away from outright fascism.

Sadly true. When my cable carrier was Time Warner, I was able to watch Newsworld International, and found it a superior enough news source that I used it for all my non-local news needs. It was especially nice to have access to the reports from major foreign countries every morning.

The hilarious part? There’s no way mainstream media is going to pick up that story and run with it. Hi, we made the voters stupid. First off that admits they’ve done an idiotic job of things. Then it accuses their viewers of being clueless. Lastly, it implies The President got reelected by a nation of dupes and dunces. No more inside information for you Mr. Reporterman. Editor to reporter, “No story, no job.”

It’s weird to see how your refuse even the smallest remote possibility of a debate by beeing 100% dismissive of everyone’s arguments.

Jason’s hypothetical homeless person

Eh? That example last week was real.