The 2011 Dominions 3 Thread

Llamaserver will be down until Saturday:
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=453

Nooooooo!!!

Still, can’t be helped. Saturday isn’t a bad response for Virgin either, lets hope they can fix it without further ado.

I tend to not be interested in balancing mods. I have no problem with them and fully support them on my server. They seem popular for the purpose MP play.

But some of the things that “suck” for MP are great for RP or for Solo play. Particularly how the AI uses pretenders would be a very different direction than changing them for human players. Im more into the more More MORE type of mods.

I see. Too bad, though.

wwwyoutubecom/watch?v=xtcUEP6goZ0

(Can’t post links properly yet, but y’all know what to do.)

Espo timer note: I’m keeping the timer off for now b/c I think some travel plans are looming.

I will be in Chicago on vacation from Saturday, June 25th, to Friday, July 1st. I will have access to a laptop and Dom3 during that time, but I cannot commit to any kind of deadline or schedule. Since we’re so early in, and we have a lot of players planning vacations soon, I propose Foss be taken off its timer and just set to host when all turns are in for the next month or so. We’ll let peer pressure take care of the rest.

Or you could find a sub.

I could but I don’t wanna.

I’ll be in each evening, and I’ll have wi-fi. But as opposed to now, where I can easily drop Nate an email to delay a turn if I get an email while at work and realize I’m 6 hours out, when on vacation I won’t have that luxury, because I’ll be on vacation. I still should be able to get my turns in on schedule, but I don’t want to have a turn go stale because I was out at the Field Museum when the reminder came in, and didn’t make it back to the room until after the new turn posted because I had a concert to hit right after.

Scribble’s out for three weeks one week after I’m back, too. Rough.

It’s summer! Stop caring about a silly video game and go have fun! The game won’t wither and die in the mean-time ;)

Dominions is my summer fun. It’s hot and humid and buggy out there.

I do plan on having fun! I’m waiting for our cruel and malevolent overseer.

Ditto :). Though Summer in England is nothing to speak of.

If Nate would finally play his Garamonde turn, at least I’d have ONE Dominions game to enjoy these days!

Hey, is there any way to turn an MP game into an SP game or, alternatively, is there a way to seed an SP game with a site that you found so you can test it out?

This question popped into my head last game on Janus, when (as Marignon), i found that fire site that lets you hire pyromaniacs and fire lords. Well, the pyromaniacs weren’t terribly good(particularly because it was Marignon), but the fire lords were F2, mounted heavy cavalry, and struck me as a pretty reasonable chassis for a thug. However, I wasnt sure it would work out that good and unlike my assassin with the self-explosion kit, I couldnt really try it out to see if it was at all practical/affordable. I wouldve loved to been able to take that turn and just play SP with my nation to try things out, or alternatively, if I could have started a game with Marignon and known that a particular province would have that site, that wouldve worked too. Anyone know?

You can use a command in the map file: #knownsite I think
You could also use one of the mods that lets you easily wish, and wish for some of the units.

Well, I am just starting to familiarize myself with the modding options the game provides. I am pretty sure you can create a mod where the site in question is available as a starting site for a nation, or create a mod where you just outright start with the unit as a recruitable.

The link to the manual modding manual: http://download.shrapnelgames.com/downloads/modding_v326.pdf

That being said, I’m pretty sure you can’t take an MP game and turn it into a SP game, especially if its hosted elsewhere. Among other things, you can imagine how being able to play a game in advance is a way to get an idea of an opponent’s strategy and resources.

Yes, yes, yes and yes.

On the Dom3Minions server I have often set a game to send a zip of the entire game to person running it. As a backup, or for writing an LP, or if they need to view and partially play nations that are AI in the game. I have also accepted SP games to set up as MP games but usually that is when the person created something for testing that got too big to run on their computer so they needed a bigger server.

But it sounds like what you want is all map commands. There are downloads which allow you to play what is basically a “battle simulation” game of Dom3. Where it starts with known locations. And specific units, summons, equipment, already assigned. Often on a really really tiny map that has only one province of each terrain so that its easy to edit. That way every time you start a game with that map you are already setup to test what you have in mind right from the first turn.

By the way, if the nation you have in mind does not already have all 4 sites at the capital you can assign the site there which will give it “capital only” status
The full map commands document is in your dom3 directory in dominions3/docs
but a quick reference is here…
http://www.dom3minions.com/docs/map_qref.txt

Llamaserver seems to be trying to run today, which is a good thing.

Let me know if there’s any problem with the new turn. I put a delay in before the server went down, so feel free to go early!

Has anyone received a turn for FOSS? I have tried a resend but got nothing.

I did not receive turn 9. However, llamaserver says I’ve already sent in a turn.