The 2018 Midterms Game Day Thread of Angst, Worry, (and maybe some hope?)

Well that sounds perfectly cromulent.

So figuratively?

^_^

And that’s why you don’t use CHA as a dump stat.

Sounds pretty dicey to me.

Moi non plus! What, now we’re supposed to read the translation of what Julius Cæsar said as “The dice is cast.”? Screw that noise.

This ain’t ova

I think you meant ovum.

Or is it ovi?

Here’s a Republican talking point I hadn’t heard before. They lost because of “ballot harvesting” (aka, counting ballots).

Yes this. This is the way it has always worked. Language is whatever people decide to use. Totally off topic but I totally recommend The History of English podcast. It’s fascinating.

Paul Ryan started that I think (which means someone from the donor class probably fed it to him, I doubt Ryan is capable of any original thought.)

Sounds like it’s time for Michigan Republicans to really ramp up the voter suppression, etc, or they’ll be in danger of losing a little power!

He is down nearly double digits in WI/MI/PA which he needed to beat Hillary. 2020 is looking rough for Trump right now, especially as they can gerrymander all they want those states, it won’t help in the presidential election. Losing those states nets any Trump opponent 274 votes being conservative (losing florida, AZ, and other toss ups)

I suppose the voter supression will help, but WI had photo ID’s required this time, and it still didn’t stop the blue wave.

If they change the rules so they apportion electors by congressional district (as Maine and Kansas do) then gerrymandering will certainly help Trump. That’s really the next step in Republicans attack on democracy, switching the apportionment of electors in big mid-western states that would go blue in a Presidential election but have Republican legislatures and gerrymandered House districts. They could cheat in ways that make it really difficult for any Democrat to win the Presidency ever.

Possibly, but WI/MI/PA all now have Democrats as governor overseeing the 2020 census and redistricting. Going to be hard to do much damage until the 2024 election at the earliest.

Yeah, I’ve worried about this. In the red states they keep it winner take all and in the blue states they push to apportion. Even in New York and California the Rs would come up with a few electors.

It would be a blatant anti-democratic move, but the Rs no longer even care about appearances.

That would be the Rubicon.

At that point violence becomes the only recourse. I hope this does not come to pass, because it would be bloody. We’re talking Russian style political assasinations becoming standard.

Now I am not opposed to apportioning electors proportionally. Provided they are

A) not done by congressional district, but purely percentage
B) it is all or nothing. Every state or none*

• the states that currently do are fine since they are small and largely meaningless electorally.

Governors don’t create districts, and have very little to do with redistricting.