The 2018 Midterms Game Day Thread of Angst, Worry, (and maybe some hope?)

I’m still in favor of that crazy proposal about the winner of the popular vote becoming President. But then all the little empty shit states wouldn’t be able to impose their shit agenda on the majority.

In many states, they have veto power over it.

Looks like R’s are just gonna keep doubling down.

The GOP has painted themselves into a corner.

They are dependent upon crazy zealots as a base, and that dependency precludes rational action, or adaptation to changing times.

That’s why the main strategy for the GOP is now inconsistency and cheating.

Democrats control the governorship and/or legislature in NY and CA, and they obviously aren’t going to let that happen if they thought that Democrats would lose power nationally. For the same reason that Republicans aren’t going to allow split electors in states where they dominate.

A judge has now tossed the lawsuit filed by Maine incumbent Bruce Poliquin challenging the state’s ranked choice voting system.

Democrat Jared Golden is indeed the winner there now, without any other hurdles to that.

I must say that this is the only thread in Politics and Religion that has consistently provided GOOD news over the past several weeks.

In a surprise twist, Florida Republicans are going to try to weasel out of restoring felon voting rights!

The amendment, which would restore voting rights to more than 1.5 million felons, does not call for any involvement of this kind.

In Florida, 23% of African-American adults cannot vote due to a previous felony conviction. Amendment 4, the measure that would change that, received wide support among residents in a state with strict clemency laws. It was scheduled to take effect on January 8.

Last week, Florida’s Secretary of State Ken Detzner, a Republican,told reporters that it would be “inappropriate” for the state to “to charge off without direction from” the legislature. The ballot language, he argued, is unclear. Democratic state Sen. Darryl Rouson, a former prosecuting attorney, told the Florida Phoenix that he “would dislike the Legislature from taking any steps that might be perceived as thwarting or slowing down the voter’s intent.”

What is felons-r-bad-mmkay racism.

I’ll take, “Every GOPer is a Racist,” for $1000, Alex.

Heard about this yesterday. Infuriating.

I do hope that lawsuits are in the offing to enforce the will of the voters?

So far they are still accepting and processing applications as if it’s a done deal. I’m going to guess that people are working on lawsuits.

Interesting animation here.

Outstanding animation. Now that’s a wave!

My favorite is the district that goes from a couple percent Dem directly left to ~50%. I assume there were maybe a dozen voters and a few changed their minds.

Does the order signify something? Seems like the reds get finished first.

They may be getting drawn in order of magnitude of change, from right to left.

“C’mon guys, the egg’s this way!”

Red starts first too. Red is moving as the blue arrows are popping up in their initial place.

I think it means nothing, except that the animator had to choose one to start first (I’m assuming because both at the same time was super messy).

Seems like they should be in order of announcement. To really capture the drama.