The 2018 Midterms Game Day Thread of Angst, Worry, (and maybe some hope?)

Damn…overcame a 40k deficit?

Never give up, folks. Count all the votes first.

Speaking of…

(Big vote dump from Kern County closed this race to within 2%)

It doesn’t change the likely case no, because they already had it heavily weighted towards Sinema I think. Still a sure win in AZ would move the needle toward Dems, hoping for a good result in FL or perhaps organizing for one in MS.

Yes if Rs won AZ, FL, and the other MS they would end up at +3. I was saying +2 is their best case if AZ is won by Dems.

Looks like all the nets have un-called the CA-21, but a word of caution: looks like a lot of the outstanding vote is likely to be favorable to Valadao, and he may rebuild his lead in the next few ballot drops over the next few days.

Got it. There was something in the original text on that article (seems to be gone in the revision) that read strangely, thought your comment might have been relevant to it. I think your “already weight towards Sinema” comment gets it, though. Thanks for the clarification.

R+2 isn’t good, but it’s better than I was expecting. And who knows, maybe we’ll get lucky on one of the others?

technically it subtracts to a margin of 19 points but

The more I look at the undervote in Broward, the more I think that they’re going to once again discover a ballot design flaw. I think Rick Scott is gonna win.

That’s where I’m at. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if it turns out I’m wrong, but I just can imagine enough of a difference will be found.

Someone posted a picture of the Broward ballot online today. And yep, even though I was LOOKING for the senate race, I missed it until I looked again.

Yeah – “Let’s hide the Senate race down at the bottom where it looks like part of the overly-long instructions” was an incredibly stupid decision. Florida’s reputation is well earned.

In 2020, I hear they’re considering invisible ink for their ballots. Surely, most voters carry a lemon and a lighter around.

Is that an all Florida thing, or specifically Broward?

And who creates the ballots. Is the county responsible or the state?

Basically my question is, was this a dumb decision borne of incompetence? Was it one of potential malfeasance?

It’s the Broward ballot specifically, apparently. And it is terrible.

And seems likely to blame on incompetence rather than malfeasance.

Was this the same county as that of the infamously stupid “butterfly ballot?” I mean how hard can this be? Oregon has paper ballots and we never seem to have these problems, ffs, nor do most places.

Well, and it was made worse from what I understand in Broward, because of the race that would have otherwise been listed right below was not because it was uncontested, making that corner appear more empty. I saw pics online a couple of days ago

Obama’s data guy in Florida, Steve Schale on Broward and elections and ballots:

One of McSally’s remaining strongholds posted a few minutes ago in Pinal county. She cut the lead by another 500 votes. She is continuing to underperform big time in these votes.

By comparison, Sinema still has a large chunk of votes in her strongest county (Pima) and of course Maricopa, which hasn’t been breaking for McSally thus far.

That’s why all the accusations of CHEATING from the GOP is so weird. They’re probably gonna win. They must know that. So why the outcry? It makes them look like they’re hiding something.

The outcry is simple. The GOP leadership knows there is no voter fraud going on. They also know that every election season the spotlight goes to their efforts to suppress and disenfranchise voters. So yelling about voter fraud allows them to shift the narrative to ‘both sides’ and provide their base an excuse to accept the disenfranchising of voters (they were cheating anyways!)

Meanwhile, the Dems are left saying ‘count all the votes’ while fending off attacks of voter fraud… instead of focusing on the fact that voter suppression really really works.

Ummmm - so it looks like a GOP county in Florida (Bay County, which was hit by the hurricane) was allowed to submit their ballots via email? Yikes

Only to us. If they win, I’m sure they will claim they out maneuvered the cheatin’ dems