The 2018 Music thread

(starts humming Seven Nation Army riff)

Woo! New Hop Along album coming in April.

That Hop Along song is terrific.

And I remain an unabashed Jack White fanboi.

Ah, got it now. That picture makes him look pretty scary, though.

Like that Hop Along quite a bit.

Rishi Dhir put Elephant Stone on indefinite hiatus last month. Guess we know why now.

Alex Maas of The Black Angels, Rishi, Tom Furse of The Horrors and one member of The Earlies. I’m down. Album in April.

Sounds cool! I too am down.

So today Pitchfork reviewed a lost Television Personalities album that is pretty much a rough draft of their 1992 release Closer to God which I have on cassette tape. I remember listening to it while writing papers in my college computer lab. It’s been a while so I just put it on and DAMN! It’s tremendous. Hard Luck Story Number 39, Little Works of Art, Me and My Big Ideas, and especially this one…

Total genius.

Yes, almost forgot this was coming out!

Closer To God is a great piece of work. The previous album, Privilege, is even better, IMHO. Plus the two excellent EPs that came in between (She’s Never Read My Poems and Strangely Beautiful). This was an incredibly fecund creative period for Dan T. More material from that time is super-exciting…can’t wait to hear it.

Yeah, I happened to discover that song yesterday (another Pitchfork review led me to it) and I played it thrice in a row. Great live video! Looks like a chilly brewery/distillery.

New record just dropped this week I think. Pitchfork hates it. Which means it’s pretty terrific. (To be fair, Mojo also fairly lukewarm…but it’s The Guardian’s new release of the week.)

Another track from the record:

New Years Day just released an EP called Diary of a Creep with a bunch of cover songs, mostly from the 90s. They’re a hard rock/metal band, but since the EP is mostly covers it seemed more appropriate to the general music thread rather than the metal thread. I liked this article where they asked Ash Costello about each song.

I heard a whole lot of Garbage and No Doubt and Linkin Park during my college and early professional years, so this EP hit me right in the nostalgia. Don’t Speak cover:

In yet more users crawling out of the metal thread, I’ll note that They Might Be Giants’ latest, I Like Fun, is finally out, and excellent.

Of course, they’ve still got gimmicky delightfulness, too :)

I suspect that @tomchick wrote the lyrics to that last one based on his reviewing criteria ;-)

Wait, Breeders as in Cannonball?

As in Cannonball.

Thanks. I liked that Superchunk song BTW.

Picked up Audiosurf 2 recently and have been going through some old faves even if I don’t have them in my own music library, since you can play off tracks on youtube now. Stuff like old Garbage hits (Only Like it When it Rains, Paranoid etc.), Metric (Help I’m Alive, Combat Baby), Devo old and new (the Something for Everybody album).

Loving this new Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever track. It’s like the Go-Betweens never broke up.

New Oceans of Slumber single hit at some point in the last day or so. It’s. . . potent. Those last two minutes’ll blow your head off, man.

The Rolling Blackouts track above gives me a bit of an Elvis Costello vibe, revealing my dearth of reference points in the genre(s) y’all prefer in here, but it brings back good memories :)

That woman can sing! I definitely dug the first few minutes a lot.

They did a pretty excellent (albeit perhaps somewhat by-the-numbers) cover of “Nights in White Satin” on their debut LP in 2016. She carries it, uh, well.

One more for the weekend. Songs of Praise by Shame. A dreamier Manic Street Preachers…a (slightly) less angry Idles? It’s working for me, anyway.

Heard Bedbug on Breakfast of Champions this morning, Lo-Fi pop, of the bedroom variety, album dropped a week or so ago.