The 2018 Music thread

My favorite Australian band Augie March is releasing an album in February and they dropped a track a couple of hours ago. The last line is killer.

Technically 2017 but I missed it then so I’m sharing it now.

Yes, it’s 6 minutes of a bunch of millennials wankishly noodling away on instruments while AfterEffects color sprays rocket out of every conceivable surface. It’s also fucking awesome.

Sort of a weird fannish rock doc for Showtime to pick up, but they did, and now this is airing all over it. It’s pretty good if you think Andy Partidge is a genius…and I happen to, so it worked for me.

Went to see Blues Traveler 30th anniversary tour last night. I’m more of a hard rock/metal guy than blues/folk, but BT is rock-ish enough to appeal to me, and besides…30 years! I was particularly impressed by the bass and harmonica skills. They played several songs that are going to be on a new album coming out in June, so I guess they’re not ready to call it quits just yet. As far as I can tell, their only weakness is an inability to figure out how to end a song. :) Felt like a good 15 minutes of jam when they did But Anyway, which is awesome but I found myself ready for the next song! All told, excellent show and I recommend it to anyone who even remotely enjoys their music.

Thanks for this - I’ve been a fan since the early 80s but don’t know a whole lot about them. Will enjoy watching :)

Sloan announces their 12th studio album will come out April 6th of this year, and a tour to follow.

And the first song is a corker!

God bless Sloan.

Yo Bat Fangs album dropped earlier this week. In case you forgot this is Betsy Wright formerly of Ex-Hex.

Not much 2018 content in this but I’ve never mentioned her before in any previous threads and its playing right now.

Veela is a mainly a session singer, and last time I checked wasn’t even signed so its mostly net based releases, but Liquicity label have plenty artists that use her. She has a voice like ethereal crystal and was born to sing liquid d&b and melodic dubstep.

Best song about zerg ever.

Two very different colabs just dropped today.

First up we have 90s inspired industrial band 3TEETH working with industrial hip-hop/hardcore band Ho99o9 (think Death Grips). New album(s?) out this year and they are touring together.

Next up is shoegaze/dreampop band No Joy, specifically lead member Jasamine White-Gluz, working with Sonic Boom, AKA Peter Kember of Spacemen 3.

Ooh, good find. I really liked Wait to Pleasure by No Joy. Add 1 Spacemen 3 and I am, as they say, in.

For sure.

I liked No Joy alright as it was…and then I’m a Spacemen apologist. Anytime I don’t like something Kember or Pierce have been involved in, I assume it’s something I’m missing because they’ve rarely missed the mark. Fortunately, this one is weird and excellent.

I found that my eyebrows kept raising and my jaw kept dropping as I read this Quincy Jones interview. He’s got stories!

This was an amazing interview, he certainly burns some bridges.

Enough of that is old guy trying to be relevant look-at-me bullshit though, that I wonder how much of all of it to take as pure fiction and with giant-sized grains of salt.

Paul McCartney, for instance, is a demonstrably excellent bass player. I have no idea wtf Jones is on about there.

And for what it’s worth, I love Quincy Jones. And I love this interview, taken for what it is and in the right light. It’s an old guy who’s seen it all, remains pretty damned sharp, and spinning some yarns and stretchers, as Sam Clemens would say. Take it in that light and enjoy it, but…some of those tales are likely fairly embellished. ;)

Here have some of this

Record came out two weeks ago. Heavy rotation. Playing loudly. (And yep, that is Mikal Cronin providing bass and backing vox.)

Excellent! I’ve got tix to see him this weekend at a benefit for the Napa fire victims with White Fence and Personal & The Pizzas. Can’t wait!

Two recent-ish songs over the transom today…lovely new Sea and Cake track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3IXFMHohs4

Also yay, a new Wooden Shjips tune presumably heralding a new album finally!

Oooof, love ‘em both. The hits just keep on comin’!

How awesome is this Jay Som single?

Looking back, that Mitski tour with Japanese Breakfast and Jay Som opening was just an amazing billing.

Yep, love it. But I like the weird, schizophrenic B-side even more.