The 2018 Music thread

Digging this new U.S. Girls.

Answering a question I wonder about frequently:

Article also lays to rest a lot of internet gossip and speculation regarding the sudden passing of Olivia Tremor Control main man Bill Doss: ventricular aneurysm.

This is good.

You might like it.

/ronswanson

Song’s pretty good, but damn…that video. I need to see more of that!

This is also ruling.

Buddy of mine introduced me to Shannon & The Clams the other day. Seemed like you lot might dig it.

On a completely different note, I haven’t been able to stop listening to Harikari for the Sky’s latest album all month long and wanted to share the excellent single, “Heroin Waltz”

Thaikkudam Bridge are a Malayalam Rock band from Kochi in Kerala. Malayalam is the local language btw, and these guys are part of the growing rock and metal scene. Most of this stuff is a few years old but the playlists on youtube have newer things. The band contains numerous vocalists and musicians. They also do weddings. heh. This isn’t exactly mainstream.

They also do covers of I think Malayalam film music.

This one in particular is lovely.

and my fave cover of Nothing Else Matters

Juliana Hatfield is putting out an Olivia Newton-John tribute album

Well, that was unexpected.

While we’re talking about ladies of 90s Boston alternative, the new Breeders album is out. Belly also dropped their first new track

waitwaitwaitwaitwait.

This is the same Caroline Rose that put out this kind of cool, bluesy alt-country-ish record a few years ago?

I mean, that was a pretty nice record.

But holy shit. If this is her (and I think it is), that’s AMAZING.

You’re right! I don’t remember her first album, but I just sampled a bit. Quite the change of sound.

I’ve watched that Soul No. 5 video at least 5 times by now and it gets funnier and cooler every time. The lollipop and water bottle at the start of the bridge is my latest favorite thing.

Don’t really care for the new Editors album, there’s an ok song or two on there but for the most part it’s not what I wanted from them.

New Soft Kill track bit closer to what I’m looking for in my post-punk.

And a random aside, I saw Clan of Xymox live this week for the first time and they were fucking great. They played for a bit over two hours too.

I love the sonority of the languages that were classified into the (RIP) altaic family. Here is some Turkish:

I takes up after the initial, pretty generic, introduction song. Their album is due out next month, I think.

Wow, they’re so great!

And here’s some Tuvan stuff from Yat-Kha, set to scenes from a gory Russian film, “Mongol: The Rise of Genghis Khan”.

More from Turgen Kam, this with some more modern punk and glam-rock (???) stylings mixed in. Also includes some scenes from that same movie.

Sammy Johns was a one-hit wonder from North Carolina. In the 1970s, he had a massive worldwide hit with the song “Chevy Van” back in the day. I can remember a summer this thing came out–it was all over radio, completely ubiquitous.

Sammy kept the main recording console he used to record that song with, and eventually sold it to a younger dude who was wanting to set up a homemade recording studio. That was a guy named Mitch Easter.

So yeah. MURMUR by REM was recorded on the same gear as “Chevy Van”.

Well, I did not know that!

Nor had I heard that smooth jam until today.

My buddy Glenn (who is a music dude in Chapel Hill) was doing that “count down the albums that mean a lot to you thing” on facebook, and put up a Let’s Active album (Cypress). One of his fellow music buddies in the Tar Heel state mentioned that Mitch had bought that recording console way way back when, and it was used to record Murmur…and Mitch, being a Carolinian and friend of both, confirmed.

All the cool third-grade girls at day camp that my 2nd-grade self had a crush on liked that song and played it constantly…hopefully not listening too much to the lyrics.

RIP to a synth-pop legend: Bento, a/k/a “Keyboard Cat”, has gone to kitty heaven.