The 2018 Music thread

Speaking of Prince, he posthumously dropped his version of “Nothing Compares 2 U” a few days ago. It’s pretty good, even compared 2 Sinead O’Connor’s version.

At various times, the guys in Green Day have done fake band side projects where they can record some songs that I guess don’t feel Green Day-ish to them, along with some covers. Usually, it’s a pretty casual affair, like when they were the Foxboro Hottubs a few years back.

But this time, Billie Joe has assembled an entirely new side band, and has recorded an album and is taking said band on the road. Which is cool. And there are a few originals on the record they just surprise-released, and they’re cool too.

But it’s the covers. Dear lord, they rocked them. And here is where I realize that Billie Joe Armstrong and I pretty much worship the same rock gods and have the same rock song Mount Rushmore.

https://soundcloud.com/user-963380700/million-miles-away

https://soundcloud.com/user-963380700/as-tears-go-by

https://soundcloud.com/user-963380700/so-sad-about-us

https://soundcloud.com/user-963380700/i-am-rock-1

someone showed me post malone and lil xan today as well as their ‘music.’ i want to punch both of them in the throat.

I enjoy a delicious grilled cheese sandwich sometimes.

Loving this new Neko Case song…

You should visit Austin when Karaoke Apocalypse is playing. They let you front the band while they rock out behind you, usually with a decent crowd at the bar. I’ve sung A Million Miles Away, Alex Chilton, Surrender, and Gay Bar with them, just to name a few. They’re one of my top five things that make Austin awesome.

Hey, MBV US Tour!

July 17 - Seattle, WA @ Paramount
July 19 - Oakland, CA @ Fox Theater
July 22 - Los Angeles, CA @ FYF Fest
July 25 - St. Paul, MN @ Palace Theatre
July 27 - Chicago, IL @ Riviera Theatre
July 30 - Philadelphia, PA @ The Fillmore
August 1 - New York, NY @Hammerstein Ballroom

My father will be thrilled

Man, I’d almost forgotten about Sleep. Still killing it.

Someone at my local radio station was really impressed by a band he caught at South By Southwest. That means I hear their one song frequently, but fortunately it has a good beat and I can bug out to it. Bodega plays “How Did This Happen”.

This machine you know it don’t kill fascists
This machine just softens what’s hard
This machine, it killed the dream of the sixties
This machine you know it’s just a guitar

Great trivia, plus it got me to check out Sixteen Tambourines which I’d never heard before. Good stuff!

A Perfect Circle just released their first album in about a decade a few days ago:

Late last year friends of ours brought us to the Bottom of the Hill to listen to a band I’d never heard of, Federale, and insisted it was worth investigating but I didn’t do any research on them at all so I had absolutely no idea what to expect.

The result was a band from Oregon that played “modern spaghetti Western” music (or if you want a more gamer-oriented comparison, think Outlaws soundtrack). Here’s some representative set:

Albums, tracks, etc. can be found on youtube and some full live sets are available around the net.

— Alan

Tony Kinman, one of the seminal figures of west coast underground/punk rock is on his deathbed, apparently.

Tony and his brother Chip were there at the beginning of THREE major music scenes. The Dils helped clear the way for future LA punk bands like Black Flag, The Minutemen, etc. Then Tony Kinman moved to San Francisco briefly, where he was in The Avengers, at the start of that punk scene.

And then Tony and Chip pulled up stakes and moved to Austin, when Austin was still just a country-western town and formed the first real cow-punk band, Rank And File, with a kid guitar whiz named Alejandro Escovedo.

Kinda cool that the Kinman brothers made music together for the better part of four decades, and always were doing things that were interesting, and outside the mainstream. Godspeed.

Friday EDIT: Chip Kinman this afternoon revealed that his brother passed away peacefully in the morning.

Mass Gothic, who are only kind of from Mass and not really gothic have a new single out from what seems to be a new album due out this summer on Sub Pop.

Wouldn’t that put him in the West Coast Avengers instead?

— Alan

I guess there shouldn’t be a music in 2018 thead without this one now.

Hey! Remember back in 2013 when Mazarin main man debuted his new band Light Heat? You don’t? C’mon, there’s no denying the amazingness of so many songs on that debut. “Dance the Cosmos Light”??? “And the Birds”?

Yeah,that’s the stuff.

Anyway, Quentin, who clearly works very quickly, has released finally the second Light Heat album via Bandcamp, “V”.

And it is really good so far, though I’ve only listened to the first four songs twice apiece.

AIGH! HIGH-PITCHED SQUEAL!! I love that first Light Heat album! (How dare you not list Chasing Dragons as a highlight??) THANK YOU!!! ENTHUSIASM ENTHUSIASM!

And I see I completely missed his 5-song EP from 2015 called The Silver Light of the Late Night. Verily, this link of yours is the gift that keeps on giving.