The 2019 Music Thread

It’s officially 2019, and in this new year of renewed hope for a return to sanity, I’ll start it off with a lovely, subdued track by Woman’s Hour called “Don’t Speak”. Their first album was very nice, so I’m looking forward to this new one.

Italian post-punk/shoegaze band Be Forest have a new album due out in February

…edit Nevermind, I see you mean music that came out in 2019

This is really good. Digging their older stuff as well.

Love this little taste of new Chemical Brothers.

That video is a little scary for some reason. Definitely looking forward to a new Chemical Bros album tho.

I like this Teenage Wildlife song.

I seem to remember some Monochrome Set fans around here…and hey! They’re touring the US, which hasn’t happened for quite a long time.

MAR 01 ONCE – Somerville, MA
MAR 02 WFMU Monty Hall – Jersey City, NJ
MAR 03 PhilaMOCA – Philadelphia, PA
MAR 04 Bowery Ballroom – NYC
MAR 05 Barboza – Seattle, WA
MAR 06 Doug Fir Lounge – Portland, OR
MAR 08 Rickshaw Stop – San Francisco, CA
MAR 09 Soda Bar – San Diego, CA
MAR 10 Echoplex – Los Angeles, CA

Thanks! That Bowery Ballroom show might be fun… and, yay, it isn’t in Brooklyn.

Holy shit, I missed this yesterday! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssss!

So anyone else remember The Long Ryders? Back in the mid-80’s, they sort of emerged out of the Paisley Underground scene with an even more country-ish sound than Green On Red, kind of almost openly worshipping at the altar of Graham Parsons (Ryders frontman Sid Griffin wrote a book about Parsons, even). Their early stuff is outstanding, even coaxing Gene Clark in for backing vocals for a song (“Ivory Tower”).

But then Miller beer came calling with tour sponsorship and pulling some strings to get a better record deal with Island, and the Long Ryders sound shifted away from Parsons and Burrito Brothers to a sort of bad alt-Springsteen populist thing that just never worked. And they broke up. And that was that.

They’ve been doing reunion shows, I guess, and one of their former crew guys is now a higher up with Dr. Dre’s production staff. That guy loved working with the Long Ryders and noted that Dre had a bunch of open studio time that would go unused. He contacted Griffin: if the Long Ryders wanted to record a comeback record, they could do it for free at Dre’s studio space.

And so with that bit of unlikeliness in hand, we’re getting a new Long Ryders record in February. And if it sounds like the first single, I’m as here for this as I was for The Chills comeback. This sounds as good as any of their stuff from their Frontier Records days.

Oh hey, new Ex Hex record coming in 2019!

Not one but two good songs. Oi!

Hmm. That photo is (oops) Matt Piucci of the Rain Parade, Vicki Peterson (Bangles) and Danny Benair (Three O’Clock drummer)…

More intrigue:

Matt Devine played guitar with Michael Quercio in the band Permanent Green Light. He might be one of the top 3 or 4 guitarists I’ve ever seen live, and I’ve seen Steve Howe of Yes and Alvin Lee of Ten Years After. Just sayin’. He’s goooooood.

I know I’m very late to the party since they’ve been around since the mid-90s, but I heard this song for the first time today and I was really impressed.

I can’t wait to track down all 6 of this band’s studio albums.

“This video is not available”.

Air is great. Enjoy your dive!

You might also like another French band of the same era, Tahiti 80, who also had hits of a similar bent. Like this:

After two more monthly print issues, Maximum Rock & Roll – which I started reading back in the 1980s when a punk buddy of mine turned me on to it – will go online only. Hell of a run.

I’m not sure I’ve even seen an issue since like 2010. I think I kind of had it in my mind that it had already stopped publishing.

Admittedly, I don’t get to the record stores as often as I used to, given the advent of streaming, but still, that’s too bad.

Yeah, I haven’t read it regularly for a good while, but I’d still see an occasional issue here and there. Glad they’ll continue along with an online presence.