The 2019 Music Thread

Damn, I can’t believe how much I can’t wait for this new Weyes Blood album. I really hated their first two albums, to the point where they were an automatic “no thanks” from me. These songs have made me do a complete 180, though. “Everyday” is definitely on my shortlist for song of the year. It’s like Karen Carpenter never left us.

Woohoo! All is right in the universe. Glad she won you over!

I think I’m in love.

So on my facebook feed, there are many rumblings that the long-rumored to exist studio recordings of the final proper “Game Theory” lineup, with Thin White Rope’s Joe Becker on drums and the Three O’Clock’s Michael Quercio co-fronting the band with Scott Miller have not only been found, but are being whipped into release-able shape by Omnivore for a full-on album. These were intended to be demos for Game Theory to shop around after Enigma Records went bottoms-up in 1989… with the project eventually coming apart after Quercio deciding he just couldn’t hang in northern California and moved back to LA.

Two tracks from these sessions survived with Miller for Loud Family albums: the demo for “Rose Of Sharon Time” became “Rosy Overdrive” on the first Loud Family record. And “The Come On” was re-recorded as a b-side.

That’s really cool!

Turns out Natalie and I have something in common… she loves movies.

New Snarky Puppy album. It sounds pretty much like Snarky Puppy, which I’m OK with.

I really like this group. :thumbsup:

Yeah, this new stuff is really quite good (just don’t listen to old stuff!).

It seems like they’re angling for some of that Lana Del Rey money.

Happy new Ex Hex and Jenny Lewis records day!

Yes and yes! Also eager to hear the new Lambchop and Tamaryn albums out today.

Calexico and Iron and Wine are teaming up again. Full album is still three months away, but they put out one-eighth of it last week:

He Lays in the Reins is one of my favorite albums evar, so I’m looking forward to the fifteen-years-later followup.

That’s great news! And a great tune.

What is wrong with the old stuff?

Heh, I love her previous album Front Row Seat to Earth but charm didn’t go for it. She’s getting better and bolder with each album… I gave her debut a spin last week and it was pretty rough. Haven’t spent much time with her second album The Innocents but I bought it along with Titanic Rising because I wanted to!

Sorry, I meant the first two WB albums (I tried them again this weekend…still terrible), not the most recent one. That’s one’s OK but nothing like these two new songs, which adds a whole mess of mature songwriting.

ObNewSong: Digging this band Neurotic Fiction, especially the guitarist. She’s still a bit rough, but she has a nice surf guitar sound and this Marr-ish knack for finding the exact melody line I wasn’t expecting.

Foie Gras EP in April. Red Moon from it dropped last year and was one of my favorite songs of 2018. Another song released and it’s also no slouch.

The Stroppies: so wonderfully Kiwipop.

Yes, please.

Full album stream of Weyes Blood’s newest. Have at it!

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/28/705506270/first-listen-weyes-blood-titanic-rising

This is really quite great: