The 2020 6-state (ID, MI, MS, MO, ND, WA) Super TWOsday game day thread

Here we are. Bernie’s last stand, maybe. Or perhaps, the day that Bernie Sanders turned it around. Either way it goes, Tuesday looms large in the nominating contest and how things play out going forward.

Super Tuesday was a stunner, an day when Democratic Party voters behaved in a way that was honestly sort of unprecedented. It wasn’t just that voters seemed to coalesce around one candidate – but also the volume in which it seemed to happen, and how widespread and across so many demographics it happened. Biden didn’t just win with his traditional strength – voters of color – but also with white college graduates, white non-college graduates, and especially with women.

At any rate, if Grampy Joe Biden was the big winner last week, well, there were some losers as well. Bernie Sanders lost, but has a chance still. Elizabeth Warren bowed to the inevitable and left the race, but seems to have kept her dignity and political brand intact.

And there were big losers, too. Mike Bloomberg spent over $500 million on the 2020 race and managed to win American Samoa. If he’d have just donated that money to the American population, we’d all have enough to…get a free side of fries.

The other big loser last week was the prospects of a contested convention. The state-wide pledged delegates awarded to Buttigieg, Klobuchar and Warren will be re-allocated to the two remaining candidates. And with just those two in the race, the odds are extremely likely that one or the other of the two candidates will secure a majority of delegates to win the nomination outright.

It also means we’re probably getting to the tipping point where media and voters pay less attention to states won than they do to delegates won. Not quite there yet, and that’s what may buoy Sanders’ hopes tomorrow. But the delegate math is very good for Joe Biden, and not so good for Bernie Sanders.

So a quick refreshing on how delegates are awarded and how they work…

The delegate primer

First, there are 3,979 pledged delegates awarded throughout the Democratic Primary season.

It takes 1,991 pledged delegates to win a majority and be nominated on the first ballot. Yes, that math doesn’t add up perfectly. Just roll with it. (Rules require the winner to win “a whole unit of delegate above half.” I got yr whole unit of delegate right here, mac. But yes, getting the Democratic nomination for President appears to have the same “win by two” rules that apply to ping-pong, tennis, and volleyball.)

Candidates win pledged delegates by winning votes in statewide primaries. Each state is allocated delegates depending on population and number of electors that will be assigned to them in the general election Electoral College. Those delegates are awarded to candidates in each respective state, based on how the candidate performs there. The only caveat: you have to hit a 15% threshold statewide to get any delegates. The exception to that rule: if a candidate gets 15% in a congressional district in a state, they get at least one delegate. And to make things more complicated: a state has to allocate all its delegates to candidates who hit that 15% threshold. And that can help and hurt candidates on the margins of the math.

For example: last Tuesday, Joe Biden beat Bernie Sanders by 13% in Oklahoma. Only Bernie and Joe got over the viability threshold in the state, but Bloomberg won two delegates from hitting 15% in congressional districts. In the end, Biden got 9 more delegates than Sanders in Oklahoma. In Utah, Sanders beat Biden by 17%. But because both Warren and Bloomberg cleared the 15% threshold there, both were awarded delegates, so Sanders emerged from Utah with just 8 more delegates than Biden – even though his margin there was greater than Biden’s margin in Oklahoma.

Notice through all this that this is PLEDGED delegates. What’s missing here?

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuperdelegates. That’s what.

After 2008 (when it was Superdelegates who defected from Clinton who helped Obama win the nomination with a plurality) and 2016 (when Supers lined up behind Clinton and mostly stayed there), the 2020 delegate math is no longer figured with superdelegates included. Nope. It was tough to win a majority before 2020 without superdelegates, but now it’s likely that someone will going forward. So, just in case: superdelegates MAY NOT vote on the first ballot. At all.

And then the DNC guidance to superdelegates goes on to encourage them to vote with their state delegation on any subsequent ballots.

In the now remote possibility that no one gets to 1,991 delegates on the first ballot, all delegates are released from their primary pledges. Most are likely to stick with their pledge, because they’re chosen based on candidate loyalty (as in, Team Biden picks Biden-loving delegates, Team Sanders will pick Sanders-loving delegates). Superdelegates may weigh in on subsequent ballots. But also: the number of delegates to win nomination now goes up to 2,375.5, too, instead of 1,991. The new party rules devised by the evil overlords at the DNC who are responsible for worldwide hunger and pandemics and everything else terrible essentially came up with a plan that pretty well neuters superdelegates going forward.

But it’s likely ALL OF THAT is moot. Because here’s the lay of the delegate landscape on March 9, 2020…

Depending on whom you follow for your delegate counts, when voters vote tomorrow, Joe Biden is likely to have a delegate lead of at least 75, and probably 85-90. (The fuzzy math there is because California is still counting, and there are some counting processes already awarding delegates to Warren and Bloomberg based on some of their performances in congressional districts.)

Now, trailing by 80 delegates (let’s use that as an average) may not seem too bad when both Biden and Sanders are still 1,400 or 1,500 votes away from achieving that 1,991 delegate majority. But…it’s a hill to climb, and maybe a cliff for Sanders. Based on demographics, we can imagine there’s a good chance that Biden wins by blowout margins in Louisiana, Mississippi, Florida and Georgia in the next 30 days. And it’s just as important to realize that Florida and Georgia alone are worth a LOT of delegates.

And, without some sea change in the patterns of voting we’ve seen so far, states like Ohio, Pennsylvania, Maryland, and even New York look pretty good for Biden. “Wait, triggercut,” you’re saying. “New York? No way! Bernie’s a fine son of Brooklyn. New York loves him!” And you’re right, they do! But New York is a closed primary. Which means that voters have until April 3rd to register to vote in New York to vote in the April 28th primary there, and when they register, they have to declare a party preference. ONLY Democrats may vote in the primary. And that may be a hindrance to pro-Sanders votes there.

So that’s the delegate situation in all its glory. Now lets talk about the 7 states doing primaries tomorrow.

Let’s do this state by state, in order of delegates each has to award.

1. Michigan – (125 pledged delegates) The Mitten is the big delegate prize on Tuesday. It is also a state that, for whatever reason, has been impossible to poll in recent cycles. In 2012, Mitt Romney thought he had a decent shot to win there. Obama won by 11 points. In the 2016 Democratic Primaries, the RCP average showed Hillary with a 25 point lead. She lost by 1.4%. And then in the 2016 general, Michigan was yet again a polling miss, with Clinton losing there to Trump despite polls showing that she was up.

What happened in 2016 is that youth vote actually showed up in college cities like Ann Arbor and East Lansing. And Sanders also swamped Clinton’s inner city vote with white working class voters in outlying areas.

Polls in Michigan right now show Biden leading, and by double digits. But we’ve had so many polling errors here that you almost have to take these with an Upper Peninsula-sized grain of salt.

Bernie could still attract that youth vote in those massive margins tomorrow. And he could once again carry a coalition of white working class voters and younger voters of color to a surprise. If this happened, it’d be great for Bernie. It’s what he needs from the state. And it’s his best case scenario.

But the other side of the coin is this: Joe Biden isn’t Hillary Clinton. He’s not nearly as polarizing a presence. People like Joe. They may not love him or feel moved to tears by his candidacy, but they recognize his inherent decency. And Joe has done well with northern white working class voters. And he’s done well with voters in districts like Elissa Slotkin’s, suburban voters who strongly desire some middle ground and despise Donald Trump. And there are some other things working for Biden and against Sanders. But we’ll get to those in a bit.

2. Washington – (89 pledged delegates) The Evergreen State is the next-largest delegate prize tomorrow. It also does mail-in ballots and early voting (Washington voters have been able to vote for about 20 days or so prior to tomorrow’s election day.) It’s also a state where as long as your ballot is postmarked by Tuesday, your vote is counted.

It’s very possible Sanders could have a good night here. Easy to imagine lots of ballots were sent in for the 9 days BEFORE South Carolina reset the parameters of this contest. And Bernie’s progressivism matches up super well with the urban centers of the state, too. Still, it’s likely that even a win here for Sanders over Biden won’t be by more than 10 points, and could be less than 5.

3. Missouri – (68 pledged delegates) The toasted ravioli state, home to the Super Bowl Champion Chiefs and Stanley Cup Champion Blues is the third biggest delegate prize on Tuesday (but first in my heart.) Sanders narrowly lost Missouri in 2016, but only after late returns from St. Louis City pushed Clinton into a 1 point win.

Here it once again feels like Sanders may run into some of the same problems he could face in Michigan: voters of color in St. Louis and Kansas City will go strongly for Biden. And Biden could do very well in suburban areas around those two metropolises. And voters in rural areas like Biden much more than they liked Hillary.

4. Mississippi – (36 pledged delegates) There’s just not too much to talk about in the Magnolia State. The state is likely to be declared for Biden as soon as polls close. Biden’s margin of victory here could be 35-40 points. The margin of Biden’s win here could wipe out any narrow Sanders delegate prize victories in other states.

5. Idaho – (20 pledged delegates) Idaho’s a super-interesting state to watch tomorrow for election nerds. Demographically and ideologically, it sort of lines up with Utah. So the question is: is there something in Western states that doesn’t fit with Biden? Or was it just early voting? With Idaho, we’ll possibly get some answers.

6. North Dakota – (14 pledged delegates) Yeesh. North Dakota. Yeesh. North Dakota is officially listed as a Caucus…but it isn’t. Neither is it a primary. It’s…this weird, messed-up thing called a “Firehouse Primary”. Tomorrow morning at 11:00 am local time, 14 vote locations will open up. They’ll stay open until 7pm. You can go vote – and vote by mail too – in this caucus. It’s not really a caucus at all. And the state will have nothing to do with counting the ballots, that’s on the North Dakota democratic party. So yeah, who the heck knows with this thing. If you thought Iowa was a mess, this is just absurd craziness.

The upshot of it all:

A really great day for Bernie Sanders looks like him winning 4 or 5 states minimum. He may not even emerge with a net plus in delegates, but he can still claim to have won those states. It is honestly his last, best chance in the nomination fight, and the last good argument he’ll be able to make for now.

For Biden, this is a chance to consolidate his position from Super Tuesday. Even if all he does is split these 6 states, that’s probably enough to foreclose any possibility of him losing, barring something ex machina occurring.

Honestly, overall, I think there are three things working against Senator Sanders on Tuesday. One is Donald Trump. The message sent last week on Super Tuesday is that Democrats want a candidate and want one as soon as possible to run against Trump. The second thing is the 2008 and 2016 primary seasons. Voters in the Democratic rank and file seem incredibly un-eager to repeat that situation where this nomination process goes on past Memorial Day. Finally, the public health scare of Covid-19 makes Biden’s executive experience with putting smart people in charge of previous outbreaks (Ebola and H1N1) is likely to serve him very well.

I and others have said it before, but you deserve a ton of credit for these very detailed and informative write-ups. I personally appreciate it so much, as I hope everyone else does.

Have all of my likes for today.

It could be a wipeout:

Also, expect delayed results from Missouri:

Sometimes I wonder, Trigger, how you’re not an actual journalist somewhere. Appreciate what you do here :)

It seems likely to me that Biden wins Mississippi and Missouri and Michigan, which means Bernie will lose a lot of ground. Yes, I know about the problems with polling in Michigan in the past, but the polls are at least a basis for making a prediction. I wouldn’t bet Biden will win Michigan, but if you’re making predictions I don’t see any basis for calling it the other way.

Nice writeups, Trigg.

I’m calling Michigan overwhelming win for Biden right now. Call me crazy but the Women’s coalitions up there that resoundingly swung the state to female Democratic wins is apparently very Biden-centric.

As for:

So yeah, having traveled there a lot, it sounds like all 14 of the people that live in that state that actually vote Democrat each get a delegate point to give. How nice.

It was over last week. I’m all for fighting for as long as you have a non-trivial shot, but after this any remaining Bernie stans should be laughed out of the room.

Find someone to rally around in 2024, find state and local candidates to fight for, absolutely push the party in the right direction. But right here, right now, take the L and move on. Biden’s the nominee, and nothing is going to change it.

And yes, it’s fucking worth voting for Biden even though it feels gross and you’d rather not have to. The human misery that will be inflicted by a second Trump term is not to be borne. I’m sorry, it’s just not.

Unless someone finds the Necronomicon so we can harvest the coronavirus surge in death energy to pull Paul Wellstone’s consciousness back from the formless void. Then all bets are off.

Hear, hear. Biden was at the bottom of my list, but I’m going to be racing to the polls on election day (okay, racing to drop off my mail-in ballot more like) to cast my vote for Biden. I don’t have the enthusiasm for him like I did for Warren and others, but compared to four more years of Trump? Yeah, enthusiasm is not going to be an issue for this particular voter.

Come November, I’m going to fly overnight for 5 hours and then rent a car and drive 3 more so I can get 2 votes cast for Joe Biden in Florida, and at least cancel out +1 my father’s inevitable Trump vote.

My man!

That is genuinely awesome.

I think we’ll also see tales of people waiting in lines for 12+ hours, and generally doing everything in their power to combat trumpism. That’s what it will take.

Damn, that’s dedication. A couple of weeks before the election, at my leisure, I’m going to sit at my kitchen table, fill out my ballot with my computer close by so I can research candidates and initiatives, seal it in an envelope and drop it in a mailbox (no postage required) on my way to work. You: democracy is worth fighting far. Me: this is the democracy we should all have.

Agree, but: No mail service to speak of in Ecuador. I could get mail-in ballots DHL’ed here by my Dad, then DHL them back to him to mail, but I need to make a trip sooner or later anyway, so I’ll just do it then.

Good on ya, Scott!

And all hail triggercut! What a gift these write-ups are for our little forum community. Just awesome.

I think rather than awarding delegates using all that arcane math, it would be simpler to determine the winner in every county by playing rounds of Gloomhaven.

I have to admit, I don’t know if I can summon the enthusiasm to go vote in the primary tomorrow here in Missouri. Biden vs Sanders, I don’t really care. Maybe I should pick Republican and vote against Trump there.

I do have a new polling place all of a sudden though, the voting card I was sent 3 weeks ago didn’t have my normal community college voting place but a nearby baptist church instead. I guess it might be worth going just to check it out, as a trial run for November.

WA is going to be interesting because we got our ballots almost two weeks ago. And I know a bunch of people who voted Warren before Super Tuesday happened. I held off to see, and ended up tossing a vote at Bernie as the best choice between the unwanted choice of two old white male career politicians. But I fully expect I’ll not only be voting Biden in November, but to also be encouraging midwestern and young southern relatives to do the same.

Because literally almost anyone besides Trump…

Wait, in the US you can vote in whatever state you want if you travel there on election day? Or are you a resident of Florida that is working elsewhere or something?

Whichever it is, cool!

Nope, you can only vote in a state in which you have residency established, and you can obviously only vote once. I assume Scott meets Florida residency requirements so yeah! Good on him!