The 2024 20:20 Frame Game

It is indeed All of Us Strangers. A beautiful, dreamlike gut-punch of a film, hugely romantic while also dealing with grief and loneliness, with four unimpeachable performances. Unfairly overlooked in terms of awards, I think.

40:40

60:60

80:80:

100:100

@crispywebb , there are vampires at your door.

I as well really liked All of Us Strangers. In fact it made it to my number 5 last year.

Speaking of top movies, has anyone seen the movie featured in this 20:20?

Zapped?

How could this of ALL movies not been done by now?

That’s what I said.

You got it.

@Soren_Hoglund, you’ve taken my breath–and clothes–away.

The new 20:20

These frames vaguely remind me of Argento’s Opera.

That’s because it is Argento’s Opera.

80:80

100:100

Over to you @ArtVandelay

I’m finding out I’m pretty good at identifying gialli.
Here is a new 20:20:

Orphée?

Not Orphée.

Maybe a few more hints in this one?

Nothing, huh? I may be heading for a loss.

I have a suspicion that’s Veronica Lake in the 40, but I don’t know any of her films.

Well, out of her output, I can say with some confidence it’s not I Married A Witch.

I think this has a chance of being Kanal.

Based on: that might be Polish insignia on that hat there in the 40 and the 60 set looks a bit canal-ish.

It is Kanal! I figured Kanal is such a good looking movie I have to do it, and folks here have gotten some amazingly niche movies in the past. Then I hardly got any guesses and thought, what was I thinking? who’s going to recognize a 70 year old black and white film from Eastern Europe? @charmtrap, that’s who.

Anyway, I’m not sure what made me watch it, but it’s a beautiful (and very grim) piece of movie making, one of those that show how bad studio era Hollywood was by comparison.

The remaining 80:80:

(I’m in love with Polish Veronica Lake, AKA Teresa Iżewska)

During the final days of the Warsaw Uprising, the remnant of a Polish unit ready themselves for a final stand against the advancing Gemans, when an order comes to escape via the city sewers. Their nightmarish journey through the titular tunnels lets director Andrzej Wajda show off as he plays with light and darkness in some very claustrophobic settings.
There’s also a cultural and political subtext here that I’m not remotely qualified to unpack, so I’ll just say I’m surprised they could make this movie in Poland at all, let alone so soon after the war and under the Communist government.

That’s one I’ve only seen parts of, but I remember it being pretty damn grim.

New 20 here.

Nada? OK. Let’s try a 40.