The 360 RROD debacle: The Insanely detailed version

Has anyone read this at Venture Beat? I had all kinds of trouble getting each page to load. (I bet Microsoft has something to do with it.) It has a lot of info I have read elsewhere, but the whole chain of events that led up to and followed the release of the XBox 360 is fascinating. Like Stone’s JFK, if only 50% is true, it is still quite a story.

Thanks, I enjoyed it.

Read that yesterday. Good article.

It is certainly close to a too long; did not read article (I refuse to use the acronym). However, much like MMORPG horror stories, I continue to be fascinated by business screw-ups of such a large magnitude. The fact that this one is another in the gaming industry makes it even more interesting.

It was long, but didn’t have any more information than “Microsoft knowingly sacrificed quality to hit ship date, and continued to make bad decisions post-shipment that eventually came back to haunt them”.

True, but I still liked to hear the nuts and bolts of it. No more scandal than we already surmised, but some nice backstory.

One would certainly assume so.

it’s a miracle these things are working at all.

The only console I ever bought at launch was the Super Nintendo. That was the 1st and last; no gaming machine is worth the risk for frustration. Ignore the hype!

Man those were the days though. I remember having a car accident on the way back from buying my super nintendo because I was so excited. +1 geek point.

Yeah, we waited a good long while on picking one up. Ours is quiet and after months of heavy use hasn’t failed us once.

Mine is currently in Texas and I’m awaiting the return of a refurb.

Here’s hoping it goes better than my friend’s. His launch unit RROD a few weeks ago. He got a refurb back from MS 3 days ago and it RROD IN TWO DAYS! He’s now waiting for his third unit.

You’d think by now the geniuses at MS would know what’s wrong and how to fix the giant slag-heap of RROD launch boxes they must have warehoused.

Love the games and console software. The quality of the hardware is pathetic.

Diego

Breaking in two days isn’t fun, but it’s not a big deal. What sucks is it breaking in just over 90 days with a non-RROD problem. When the disc drive on my current one goes – which’ll be soon, based on the horrible noises and occasional disc read errors – I’m SOL. A friend has already had to pay good money for a post-three-month drive failure on a refurb.

Non-RROD issues are covered by Microsoft for 1 year, not for 90 days.

Right, but if you’re out of the first year, it’s 90 days since the last return.

Ah you mean after a non-paid repair? A paid repair comes with a 1 year warranty.

Right. I’ve only done the non-paid ones so far. And given my luck with them, I can’t imagine actually paying money to get a refurb.

My brother is on his seventh box. They sent him a new one the last time. My Dad is on his fourth.

I still have a launch box. How that happen?

I am still too skittish to get one. I do not need the hassle. I will most likely love it, which will result in quadruple the amount of frustration and anxiety if it breaks. Plus, not that my vote matters, but I have a hard time rewarding them for continuing to send shoddy machines out the door.

I know this has all been covered in a couple of the other RROD threads, but each time this comes up, my hesitancy always outweighs my desire to finally breakdown.

I have a bonus coming and I think I will opt for a DS

The problem is once you have your first bad one you get on the refurb treadmill and wind up with a string of boxes that have badly overheated in the past and thus are far more likely to go bad again in the future even if they work when MS sends them out to you.

From my own limited experience, they seem to have tightened things up on the refurb fixes and testing. The one refurb I got (right around the time they started using the new heatsink design) has been flawless for a year+ and friends that were on the refurb treadmill seem to have gotten stable boxes as well since then.

This is anecdotal and I’m sure someone else will chime in with a story of recent woe, but in my very unscientific examination of the problem, the RROD issue isn’t a major factor anymore. Sure, it still happens to people, but AFAICT these days it happens at about the rate of normal consumer electronics failures and not the super highly elevated rate it previously was. New buyers kind of have it good, IMO, because they get the RROD warranty extention protection for free while being far less likely to ever have to use it.