The 3rd best game of 2019: One Finger Death Punch 2

Title The 3rd best game of 2019: One Finger Death Punch 2
Author Tom Chick
Posted in Game reviews
When February 9, 2020

Fighting games are a form of puppetry.  You pull the strings, an insensate doll animates, videogame violence ensues.  Most of the puppetry has gotten really complex because most of the puppeteers have gotten really good, and therefore more demanding..

Read the full article

I’m still disappointed this isn’t on consoles. I enjoyed the heck out of OFDP on the 360.

Great pick. It’s a really, really fun game indeed.

Supposed to release on a Switch on February 26.

Of course. The one console I don’t have! Heh.

It’s coming to Xbox One as well -

I’ve never played this or its predecessor - the title makes it sound like one of those $1 crapware games that Indiegala is constantly trying to foist on me. Maybe I’ll give this a look?

Fuck yeah! Thanks!

It was originally one of those super-cheap Xbox Live Indie Games (along with Flotilla that I dearly miss). It is a ton of fun, and the sequel seems to just make it all so much better. Apparently the mobile port was done by someone else, though and is total trash. Avoid.

I think you’re overestimating how seriously Mortal Kombat takes itself. This is a series that features finishers where you turn your opponent into a baby, and has developer cameos going, “Toasty!” when you flambe someone. But yes, OFDP 2 sounds sillier.

I really enjoyed this game as well, I enjoy the current leaderboards even more.

Corrections:
“Do you like the monster tha[t] freezes”
“you see two things coming at you with[out] registering that one of them is a blue bullet, the second click will end up whiffing”

It’s coming out on switch, next week, but Tom and you mention leaderboards; are they a global thing, or is the friends hi score chase the real motivation?

It’s all about the friends high score chase, the rest is just fluff.

Aaaaw.

I disagree with Chappers. There is a LOT of single-player content that can be a lot of fun and, for me at least, was at least half of the experience, next to the leaderboards. The game introduces a lot of new variants and special features and crazy surprises as you move through the single-player levels. I think it could be well worth your time and money even if you don’t have friends on the platform.

Tagging @Left_Empty to make sure he sees the response.

I think Alex was just talking about the leaderboards, answering a question about how much the competition among friends matters if you’re interested in leaderboards. I’d agree that the global leaderboards aren’t very meaningful, precisely because of all the content you’re talking about. There’s just so much more to pay attention to! But if you want to play as a score chase, you’re probably only going to pay attention to the friends list.

-Tom

Agree with Tom, I hope you typed that in a British accent!

I find the single player content fine for honing your skills and if you only have a few minutes to kill but the survival mode and its friends leaderboard is where the real challenge and enjoyment comes from in my opinion. Although we are all secretly jealous of Nightgaunt’s skill in this game!

Just picked this up for the switch. Well that made a 2 hour layover go by pretty fast. There just didn’t seem to be a good time to stop.

So how’s this supposed to work? Play the “story” mode then survival? I seem to have played through so many levels so fast that I don’t have a good grasp of what’s going on as well as a mild headache.

This thing is on sale for two bucks on Switch. I don’t know about other platforms.

Ah man this game is so much fun. I played the demo on PC back when this thread was first created, but this isn’t the type of game I enjoy playing in my office. I wishlisted it and kept it in the back of my mind and was reminded of it again when I saw the $2 sale last week on then Switch.

I 100%ed the first map in one sitting and expect to play as much of the game as I can handle before it throws more at me than I can handle.

My only wish is that I could see all the cool effects and animations happening during battle,but I’m somlaser-focused on the red and blue bars at the bottom I don’t see much else at all, but what I do catch every once in a while is quite entertaining.