The 5-player forum game of Sol: Last Days of a Star is underway!

Everyone pick a color! …or, shape!

So, from reading Tom’s review and a bit I’ve found online at BoardGameGeek and such, this is a game that doesn’t feature direct conflict between players right, you’re just competing to harvest the most energy out of the sun before it goes kablooey? Can you sabotage another player’s attempt? I guess what I’m wondering is how much direct player interaction is involved.

Not a lot really. Placing gates in a more attractive place is about the extent of it

Silver please

A god damned monster

w00t!

gah

Oh, so it’s going to be like that, huh?

Ha ha, you’re the chibi pre-schooler scissors!

I demand – demand, I say! – the blue ship. Only because if I’m not blue, I’m going to spend most of the gaming thinking the blue pieces are mine because I’m always blue.

That’s up to the players. When you set up a game, you choose a certain number of “instability effects” that determine the game rules. The instability effects are color-coded by severity. All of the red instability effects create direct player conflict. Without them, there’s still tons of player interaction – the degree of interaction is one of my favorite things about this game and what keeps it from being merely an engine-builder – but no direct player conflict.

But with the red cards? Hoo boy, some elbows are gonna get thrown and noses bloodied. I don’t recommend the red cards for our first game.

-Tom

This coming from a guy using chibi unironically!

But yeah, I didn’t choose based on shape, and next I’m going to ask Dave to spray paint it yellow, the best color.

Thank you sir for my daily lol.

I’ll take green in remembrance of the greenery that will be obliterated with the sun explodes. (Also I suspect it’s easier to see against the background than black or purple. Though maybe it’s good to be stealthy in this game?)

QFT

I’d vote for:

• Random selection of instability effects, not including the red ones.
  • Vestigial structures? I’m fine either way.
  • First player is supposed to be person who was the closest to the sun most recently. If we’re not counting air travel, I summited Mt. Whitney in August 2019. If we are, I flew to Costa Rica in July 2021.

I’ll be the purple sex toy.

I don’t think I’m in contention in any way, but how do you resolve a conflict between these? If, say, I summited a somewhat smaller mountain in 2020.

Deathmatch. Obviously.

I’ve been loitering around sea level for the last several years.

And I would vote no vestigial structures. We should be first to poke holes in the sun and build things on it!

-Tom

So we use the entire deck, and something like this?

If we were playing on our discord server, I could pin these for everyone.

This seems helpful!

This appears to be a typo, cuz every color has 5 gates (in this box).

How does that look? Readable? Helpful layout? Is there anything else to do, or can @Matt_W take the first turn?

I’m absolutely cool with Matt taking the first turn, but that said, I hate those dumb first player rules so much.

Also I still need to read the rules so I probably won’t be ready until tomorrow. Thanks all.

Think you’re right:

@Matt_W you are officially up!