The A.I. Thread of OMG We're Being Replaced

I was doing some Gen AI training and working with GPT 3.5 today, I tried a strategy that had been kicking around in my head. I asked it about “The quick brown fox” and it was able to identify that I’m talking about the typing exercise phrase. Then I asked it if it could make the sentence about the fox being a member of a college (Brown University) by changing anything. No chance it could, it just kept regurgitating my prompt and then adding “Brown is a color and things can be different colors.” However, once I clearly explained it and then asked it to rephrase the quick brown fox to be a member of a different college, it was able to give me “The quick Harvard fox” so I guess kinda a win?

Or, they tried to oust Sam Altman, their coup failed, and now they have no real future at the company.

Pretty sure that’s the answer.

Yeah, because they were not excited about the direction of the company and where the research is headed.

This (and the above description of what happens when you try to get it to adapt a whiteboard diagram) aren’t surprising in the least. As soon as you start trying to get it to work with actual information content it starts to fall on its face because information content is completely orthogonal to what the thing actually does.

Wow that sounds like a match made in hell. Oh well, what’s one more bot on reddit?

I really don’t recommend using ChatGPT 3.5. At this point it’s pretty old and nowhere near as capable as the newer models. I haven’t tried Gemini, but ChatGPT-4 and 4o are much, much better.

If you’re looking for a free model to play around with you might try Claude AI by Anthropic. While none of Claude AI’s three models (Haiku, Sonnet, Sonata) are near as good as ChatGPT-4 (at least on programming tasks), I find even their super-fast Haiku model is quite good at answering basic queries. I think Haiku and Sonata are both available for free and while I haven’t tested them that extensively I think they are both better than GPT 3.5. Also Anthropic was founded by people who left OpenAI in 2021 to focus more on safety.

Deviantart is a shell of its self, taken over by AI, bots and greed

Hm, principled stance, they got their own AI thingies coming along, or looking for licensing $$$?

Pretty sure the principle here is, “we like money.”

It’s Sony’s catalogue of music, and for the time being, they feel like training AI with their catalogue may diminish its value.

It’s not like they are doing this for anyone’s benefit other than their own.

note: this is a writer for Huffpost and NYMag
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1792682664845254683

NEWS

Scarlett Johansson has just issued this statement on OpenAI.

I have confirmed its authenticity directly with her publicist.

"Last September, I received an offer from Sam Altman, who wanted to hire me to voice the current ChatGPT 4.0 system. He told me that he felt that by my voicing the system, I could bridge the gap between tech companies and creatives and help consumers to feel comfortable with the seismic shift concerning humans and Al. He said he felt that my voice would be comforting to people.

After much consideration and for personal reasons, declined the offer.

Nine months later, my friends, family and the general public all noted how much the newest system named “Sky” sounded like me.

When I heard the released demo, I was shocked, angered and in disbelief that Mr. Altman would pursue a voice that sounded so eerily similar to mine that my closest friends and news outlets could not tell the difference. Mr. Altman even insinuated that the similarity was intentional, tweeting a single word “her” - a reference to the film in which | voiced a chat system, Samantha, who forms an intimate relationship with a human.

Two days before the ChatGPT 4.0 demo was released, Mr. Altman contacted my agent, asking me to reconsider. Before we could connect, the system was out there.

As a result of their actions, I was forced to hire legal counsel, who wrote two letters to Mr. Altman and OpenAl, setting out what they had done and asking them to detail the exact process by which they created the “Sky” voice. Consequently, OpenAl reluctantly agreed to take down the “Sky” voice.

In a time when we are all grappling with deepfakes and the protection of our own likeness, our own work, our own identities, I believe these are questions that deserve absolute clarity. I look forward to resolution in the form of transparency and the passage of appropriate legislation to help ensure that individual rights are protected.”

Move fast and break things is an idea that is worshipped by techbros. This is a result.

Sam Altman does not have any ethics and will disband or disregard any reins.

Gosh I wonder why their safety team leadership all resigned?

She’s totally a shoo-in for the part of Serena Butler now if the Dune movies cover the expanded universe.

Turning out to be just another idiot techbro whose ideas generally align to more to raising himself up more than others, particularly as it related to any vaneer of ‘this is great for everybody’ bullshit.

I heard him yesterday talking about Universal Basic Income and waxing lyrical that perhaps that won’t come to be and that a preferable future status-quo might be Universal Basic Compute, where everyone will have guaranteed access to a certain amount of ChatGPT resources, which they can use to generate income in some way - run a business, sell access to, etc. As if that will pay the fucking rent and put food on the table. No, buddy, that will just enrich you. Fucking idiot.

Christ, we should make these techbro edge lords dig ditches for a living. At least then they can’t do much harm, because they’d totally suck at digging ditches.

Can I use my UBC to bash Altman over the head?

Coffezilla has vid up on the stupid RabbitAI, taking the lead from the Zitron piece @Shivax posted a couple of weeks back. Has audio clips from the founder talking up his prior NFT rubbish. This thing had it all - NFT, cryptocurrency, clean energy generation, comics, TV show, MMORPG, metaverse, AI, The Matrix. lol, It’s crazy these people are getting VC’s to back them, unless the VC’s are just in on the grift to get extract out of retail customers.

And speaking of Ed Zitron, he’s not mincing words on Sam Altman/OpenAI:

I’ll cut to the chase: it’s time to stop listening to anything that Sam Altman has to say. Sam Altman is full of shit, and his reign at OpenAI has been defined far more by its empty promises than any realized dreams. It’s time to actively push back on Altman when he says that GPT-5 will be “similar to a virtual brain” or a “super smart person who knows absolutely everything about your life” or a “super-competent colleague” or that it’ll “replace 95% of marketing tasks” or that it’ll “evolve in uncomfortable ways” rather than get twisted by a group of people that know enough or give enough of a shit to make sure they’re not causing said evolution.

Failing to interrogate these people will cause immeasurable harm to the creatives they’re stealing from, and anyone in the media that believes that Altman and his ilk won’t come for their work is living in a fantasy land. These companies will make their products worse by forcing AI into them to please investors that only care about growth, and in doing so will drain capital from the tech ecosystem while making the world tangibly worse so that extremely rich people can get a few decimal points richer.